Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mwilliams15 Posts: 172, Reputation: 24

Oct 1, 2007, 12:27 PM
    Needles and nursing
    Im going to be going into the nursing field pretty soon and I am very excited about it. I've always known that I wanted to be in a profession in which helping people was a key issue. I am somewhat nervous though. I hate getting MY blood taken, I cry every time I have to get it taken or when I have to have an IV. But shots don't bother me one bit. I think it has to do with where the blood is drawn in my arm lol.. it just isn't pleasant! Anyway, I don't think it would bother me to prick other people with needles. Could this be a serious issue for me to overcome in nursing school-that Im scared to get blood taken/iv's? Thanks in advance to anything anyone can offer!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 2, 2007, 02:45 PM
    Sorry it has taken me so long to answer your question, but my nursing school schedule is quite demanding right now.

Now, as far as your fears go. Guess what... Most nursing schools don't even teach how to take blood, and most nurses in the hospital rarely take blood. The Lab does this for us.

As for IVs, well that is a different thing all together.

Now, when you are in your skills labs you will not be taking each other's blood, nor will you be practicing inserting IVs on each other. So you are safe there.

It may take a little getting used to, but it should be fairly easy for you to overcome.
    ranger59 Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Dec 2, 2007, 01:48 PM
    Hi, saw your question and base on my experience, you will need to know how to draw blood beside knowing how to start IV's. Sometimes a lab tech will not be available to draw blood for you due to time constraints, i.e.. Someone is crashing and you need to send blood for chemistry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nursing [ 3 Answers ]

My baby spits up constantly has anyone else had this problem with their child if so what did you do?

Weird pins and needles! [ 11 Answers ]

Why do I have pins and needles in my head?? X

Pine needles [ 1 Answers ]

I have clumps of pine needles and pine cones that fell from a red pine tree Covering the ground. The clumps look like they were chopped off the tree. There is only 2 pine trees that this is happening to. There is a lot of clumps Covering the ground. It looks like someone covered the grass...

View more questions Search