Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anon699 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2007, 08:40 AM
    Fish oil and dogs
    I was told by a vet that I could give my dog fish oil or fish oil pills to improve his skin and make his coat more shiny among other health benefits. I just started giving him a pill a day about two weeks ago. What I want to know is if it is normal when first starting this for some of his poop to be green. Like is it his body's way of getting used to it? Thanks. He is four years old.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2007, 08:45 AM
    I know a vet who recommends fish oil as well. The green poop might be an indication that the fish oil is not as fresh as it should be. Not sure because I have never given it to a dog. You should call your vet and ask if the greenish color is normal also note if his poop is a bit looser than usual. A follow up call doesn't cost anything, and it is important that the vet know what is going on.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2007, 09:46 AM
    Even if a vet suggests it, I question giving a dog fish oil. What dogs need for their coat is linoleic acid. Corn oil is the richest source of it, with it being plentiful in many other vegetable oils except coconut. It is non existent in fish oils. What works for our hearts may not work for dogs' coats.

Feed a decent chow and little else, brush regularly, and seldom if ever bathe the dog, and it should have a good coat. A few dogs do need a little more oil, easily done by adding a teaspoon of liquid cooking oil.

See RubyPitbull and I aren't clones and may disagree.
    Poly Posts: 16, Reputation: 5

Oct 2, 2007, 11:16 AM
    Hi Anon699:

If I may, let me give you some background that might help. When I was directed to take fish oil for my own health, I did some research on it and now just added in some stuff pertaining to dogs.

Fish oil is a source of Omega-3 fatty acids, including LINOLENIC acid, DHA, and EPA.

Another fatty acid group is Omega-6, including LINOLEIC acid. They can be found in plant oils and some animal fats.

Humans cannot synthesize EITHER of these fatty acids, so they are both called 'essential' for humans. We must consume both of them in our diet.

Dogs can synthesize LINOLENIC acid, but not LINOLEIC acid, which is why Omega-6 is called 'essential' for dogs. Dogs must consume it in their diet. It promotes a healthy coat.

There really isn't any research indicating that dogs need LINOLENIC acid (Omega-3) in their diet. However, extra levels of dietary Omega-3 seem to provide health benefits for humans and it has been suggested that it may provide benefits for dogs as well.

The problem is that for dogs, the RATIO of Omega-6 to Omega-3 has to be very carefully controlled (although a proper balance is important for humans as well, it isn't as critical). Good dog foods keep the ratio of Omega-6:Omega-3 at about 8:1, which current research indicates is about right for dogs.

Until we get better research on this, it's probably prudent NOT to give your dog any straight fish-oil supplements.

There are complete fatty acid supplements for dogs that maintain the approximately 8:1 ratio but I don't know that these have been studied under controlled conditions.
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2007, 12:20 PM
    I can't agree with part of that. Linolenic fatty acid is a 18 carbon chain, tri unsaturated one found mostly in linseed oil. Fish oils mostly contain 20-24 carbon chain fatty acids. The main C 18 one they contain is the mono unsaturated oleic acid. This is based on figures from a booklet from the Federation of Societies for Paint Technology. Yes, oil based paint uses the same edible oils.
    Poly Posts: 16, Reputation: 5

Oct 2, 2007, 01:37 PM
    Hi Labman:

Yes, I should have written about the Omega-3 group more clearly - so thanks for clearing that up.

The point I was making (badly) is that dogs synthesize linolenic acid (Omega-3) from Omega-6 fatty acids and giving them other Omega-3 fatty acids directly - such as from fish oil - may create a problem unless we monitor that ratio properly.

So until we have better research, we probably should be careful about giving dogs fish oil.

Another interesting point is that very young puppies do need one of the omega-3 acids (DHA) in their diet.

As a potential puppy/dog owner, I'm willing to let the research folks do the heavy work on nutrition and not experiment myself.
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2007, 04:12 PM
    I certainly agree about that. To those that insist on preparing their own dog's diet, I say they are making a lab animal out of it. I would rather my dog's diet is tested on Purina's dogs.
    anon699 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 06:17 AM
    Thanks for the insight and advice. I've already quit giving it to him. No more fish oil for this pup. Thanks again everyone

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Oil Burner still dripping.Oil Co. Tricks.fear for 3 dogs lives [ 8 Answers ]

That 1 you see as a response to my boiler question was to redirect my boiler question to heating and cooling. Please refer to boiler burner dripping below. Still need an answer as am not willing to have the tricky oil companies service my problem after causing it. They want to see more dollars...

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

Omega 3 Fish oil [ 2 Answers ]

Is this really good for you and can it help you lose weight?

Fish oil and aspirin [ 2 Answers ]

Is taking fish oil supplements a day beneficial like aspirin? I am wary because aspirin is hard on the stomach.

Give added oil, some salt and sugar be dogs? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi < I am new on this site. I have a 3 months old cross breed between pug and french bull dog, a frenchie pug that is. I have some queries, that is should I give added oil to my dog, that is maybe cook an egg in oit to give to the dog. Also is some amount of salt and sugar in moderation safe for...

View more questions Search