Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hank B Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2007, 06:02 AM
    Wahing Machine Discharge options
    I'm remodeling a laundry room with new washer and dryer and want to hide all the pipes. The washer discharge is a concern because in the old laundry room the washer discharged into a wash tub and that drained into a standard 1.5 inch drain. I want to dischage directly into the drain under the new sink. The washer specs claim a non-sink discharge requires 2 inches and it must be at least 30 inches (i.e. stand pipe) above the floor on which the washer sits. In the meantime a plumbing supply house advised adding a 1.5 inch fiiting to the drain with a side input of half inch (exactly like a dishwasher hookup) for the washer. I'm leary about the plumbing supply recommendation. Any suggestions?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 1, 2007, 07:36 AM
    In the meantime a plumbing supply house advised adding a 1.5 inch fiiting to the drain with a side input of half inch (exactly like a dishwasher hookup) for the washer. I'm leary about the plumbing supply recommendation. Any suggestions?
    You should be leary. This is why big boix salesmen aren't out doing plumbing.
    Today's more powerful washer pumps, (especially Maytag) will overpower a 1 1/2" drain. If you wish to to the job right then you must open up,the wall and drop the sanitary tee to floor level while increasing the size to 2". Connecting to the old 1 1/2" laundry tub drain is setting yourself up for backup and overflow problems. Run the stand pipe up to 2" over the flood rim of the washer. That's how to do it the correct way. But hey! I'm a guy that likes options So here's one you might consider. 90 up from the wall stubout. Run the standpipe 2" over the lip of your washer but add a compression fitting, (see image) in the same material as the stand pipe and make it a closed system so the discharge will be forced through the 1 1/2" drain. I* have had one on my 1 1/2" stand pipe for years with no problems and have had no negative feedback from the many askers on this site that have had the same problem that you are faced with. Good luck in which ever way you chose. Tom
    Hank B Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2007, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank B
    I'm remodeling a laundry room with new washer and dryer and want to hide all the pipes. The washer discharge is a concern because in the old laundry room the washer discharged into a wash tub and that drained into a standard 1.5 inch drain. I want to dischage directly into the drain under the new sink. The washer specs claim a non-sink discharge requires 2 inches and it must be at least 30 inches (i.e. stand pipe) above the floor on which the washer sits. In the meantime a plumbing supply house advised adding a 1.5 inch fiiting to the drain with a side input of half inch (exactly like a dishwasher hookup) for the washer. I'm leary about the plumbing supply recommendation. Any suggestions?
    Thanks Tom. I like the option and will pursue that but with the washer and sink both using the 1.5 inch drain might I expect any backup in the sink when the wash discharges?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 1, 2007, 11:06 AM
    [QOUTE]. I like the option and will pursue that but with the washer and sink both using the 1.5 inch drain might I expect any backup in the sink when the wash discharges?[/QUOTE] Good question. It most likely wilol. You can buy a rubber stopper for the sink and if you have a back up it will be blocked by the stopper. I would advise adding cleanout to the vertical drain line. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing machine discharge goes into sink [ 12 Answers ]

I live in a raised ranch. The toilet and shower are backed up to the laundry room. The sink and the washer use the same discharge pipe. When the washer drains, the water backflows into the sink and out onto the bathroom floor. The plumber has been here twice and installed a vent in the pipe but it...

Wahing machine [ 1 Answers ]

At what rate does water drain from a front load washer ? How about a top load washer ? Thank you

Wahing machine problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have a trusty 18 year old maytag washer that filled the laundry Room with smoke and was making a weird sound.. I unpluged it And am trying to decide if this serious sounding problem is worth A service call or if I should head my wheels to the appliance store to Buy a new one.. anyone ever...

New washing machine discharge standpipe [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I'm putting in a new washing machine tomorrow, and would like to ask how much higher should the standpipe be? I am including a link with 2 pictures of how it is presently.(I have moved the electrical receptacle). In the picture, the distance from the top of the standpipe to the bottom of the...

Wahing Machine drain problem [ 1 Answers ]

Hey folks, First time homeowner overwhelmed by his plumbing. My washing machine drain keeps backing up during the spin cycle. I had rotorooter come out to look for clogs, but they said there was no blockage, only a faulty installation of the drainage which does not allow the pump to filter...

View more questions Search