Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ncviswan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2005, 09:33 AM
    Inheriting Foreign Property
    My question involves taxation on inherited property abroad. My grandfather, a non-US national, left me a house in India several years ago. I sold the house many years later, presumably for a gain from what the house was worth at the time of death. The proceeds were invested in a tax-free municipal bond in India, and I now wish to bring the money back here. All taxes have been paid in India, no taxes in the US, and can provide full documentation. I am a US citizen. What do I owe? I read on some website that as long as the person leaving me the house is a non-US national, the IRS can't tax me on the house. I spoke to some rep at the IRS and he didn't seem to think that was the case (but he didn't seem very knowledgeable though so I don't trust him on this). Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 12, 2005, 09:52 AM
    Ncviswan:

The NUG (normally/usually/generally) rule is that U.S. citizens are taxed on ALL sources of income world-wide, and that is what the IRS representative was probably thinking about when he considered your case.

There was no taxes due on the inheritance itself, as your father's estate was wholly in India. In my opinion, once you owned the property, you would have been liable for the capital gains taxes when you sold the property.

Further, while you invested the money in a tax-free municipal bond, the fact that this bond was in India probably did not make it tax free for U.S. tax purposes.

Finally, taxes were paid in India, so that probably offset at least some of the U.S. taxes due..

Bottom Line: Get immediate professional help from a tax professional who has experience with taxes due on foreign-based assets. I expect that some amendments to past tax returns will be required to set thing straight with the IRS.
    2Know Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2009, 08:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Ncviswan:

The NUG (normally/usually/generally) rule is that U.S. citizens are taxed on ALL sources of income world-wide, and that is what the IRS representative was probably thinking about when he considered your case.

There was no taxes due on the inheritance itself, as your father's estate was wholly in India. IMHO, once you owned the property, you would have been liable for the capital gains taxes when you sold the property.

Further, while you invested the money in a tax-free municipal bond, the fact that this bond was in India probably did not make it tax free for U.S. tax purposes.

Finally, taxes were paid in India, so that probably offset at least some of the U.S. taxes due..

Bottom Line: Get immediate professional help from a tax professional who has experience with taxes due on foreign-based assets. I expect that some amendments to past tax returns will be required to set thing straight with the IRS.

I have a similar situation except foreign assets were left by a US citizen. Would the nationality of the donor affect my tax liability when I bring the assets to the US or is that a matter for the estate? Is it considered a gift?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 21, 2009, 12:13 PM
    If there are any estate taxes due, the estate will file them.

Once title is transferred, you probably have little, if any, tax liability until you sold the asset, at which time capital gains would be due if you were present in the U.S. when they were sold (if you are a non-resident alien).

If you are a resident alien or U.S. citizen, then all world-wide income is subject to U.S. income taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

J1 - Foreign Intern [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I started a professional training program in the US last year and it will go on until end of November. My employer gave me a 1099-MISC form but so far I don't know what I have to do. I am beginning to worry as the deadline arrives. What form do I have to fill, what mistakes can I...

Disposition of Foreign Property from Divorce [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know the tax & legal implications for the following situation: 1)I am a US Citizen with residence in Italy 2)I am the sole-titled property owner of a piece of Italian real-estate 3)This property was granted to my ex-husband in a US Divorce over 1 year ago (3/05) 4)Under the...

USB Status: Foreign [ 1 Answers ]

I trying to use a HD in an external enclosure connected via USB. I get the message about new hareware and it 'sees it as a 'Maxtor 6 B250R0'. But It's available for my use. I see it in Device Manager. So under properties, volumes tab, I click on populate and comes back with a status of FOREIGN....

Foreign Tax Credit [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a GC holder and I lived in 2005 in the US but I got a small amount of wages and interest from a foreign country. I paid taxes on the foreign interest. It seems to be very difficult to fill out necessary forms. I don't know if I need to file the form 1116 to claim the foreign tax...

Property taxes/lien on property [ 2 Answers ]

We have been taking care of the rental properties across the street from us for many years as the landlord lives in Arkansas. We have never been paid for these services. We repair and maintain these properties, and the last tenants we even collected the rent and deposited into the landlord’s...

View more questions Search