Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dak10954 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Ear Infections
    My 5 month old has his first ear infection and has been prescribed antibiotics. I know as an adult when I feel ill, I lose my appetite a little... My baby has been eating a little bit less than normal, but he is still eating. When does it become a concern if his appetite doesn't return to normal? I am just concerned that he is not eating enough and can become dehydrated. For a 5 month old, how many wet diapers during the day is considered "normal"?

- First Time Mom
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Pedialyte is good to make sure a baby does not dehydrate. Also when the antibotics are done you should give him probiotics for infants because antibiotics take out good essential bacteria as well. My daughter had to take a lot of antibiotics as an infant and she ended up with yeast infections.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Your baby should start feeling better a few days into taking the antibiotics. I would give it about 5 days before they start feeling totally back to normal, along with appetite.

You said your infant is only eating "a little bit less than normal", I wouldn't be concerned about offering any supplement unless you see a drastic change in eating (like refusing a full bottle, or you see a decrease in wet diapers). At this point you could offer a 2-4oz bottle of pedialyte to prevent dehydration, but I would suggest not offering this more than once a day, because your baby make like the change in fluids (from formula) and start refusing the formula bottle thinking that they will get tastey pedialyte instead!

About 3-4 wet diapers a day is okay, because as your baby gets older you will notice that they may not have many wet diapers throughout the day, but the AMOUNT of wetness in each wet diaper is more than before.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ear popped and now I can't hear out of my ear at all [ 7 Answers ]

I was wresteling with my kids and husband and we fell to the ground and I popped my ear pretty good and it started hurting went to the beach and got some salt water in my left ear and it was pretty excruating I had to get out of the ocean I went to sleep and when I woke up I couldn't hear out of my...

Uneven Ear Pressure and Voice Echo in Left Ear [ 45 Answers ]

Hello, I have some kind of ear condition that I'm seeking answers for. I have to constantly sniff throughout the day to equalize the pressure in my ears. The left ear seems too "open" for lack of a better word and when I sniff it corrects the pressure temporarily. The condition also causes an...

Yeast infections [ 4 Answers ]

How do you get a yeast infection, what are some ways of preventing it, and can condoms cause a yeast infection?

Kidney Infections [ 1 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with a severe kidney infection and treated twice with anti botics. The last antbiotic was so hard on my system it left me with joint aches and retaining water. I just don't know, I still feel horrible it has been March 1, 2007, The drug was Levaquin and the docs are saying maybe the...

Frequent infections [ 9 Answers ]

Hello. I am a very worried mom. My son, who is 19 years old was diagnosed with mononucleosis almost 1 year ago. It seems since then, he catches everything that is going around. Presently he is sick with an oral thrush, has had a fever the last few days, although that has now cleared up, and a...

View more questions Search