Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bbgirl Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Sep 30, 2007, 05:30 PM
    Really depressed
    Lately I have been really depressed. It has been over a year now. I stopped going to school for a week or so and the principal suggested I see I psychologist but I never did. Nobody knows about how depressed I am because I hide it all the time. I really want to get some help before I really lose it. I just don't know how to tell my mom. Any suggestions on how to tell her that I would like to get some professional help? :( :confused: :(
    Marzapan741 Posts: 478, Reputation: 14

Sep 30, 2007, 05:56 PM
    Hey I went through depression for 2 years.
    I didn't tell my mom right away, instead I went to my guidance councilor in my school once a week and we talked and I felt better. You need to talk to someone.

I don't recommend psychiatric help. Why are you going to pay so much money to have someone tell you" Well you have depression" and talk to you about it and might put you on medication?
    I don't think that helps.
    It is really all in the head.
    Like msoking- you think it helps but your wasting all your money on something dumb.

I suggest see a guidance councilor at school, speak to a best friend but you have ot tell you mom. Try saying

"Hey mom, I think im having some problems i dotn feel like my self and im not so happy"

A mom is your best friend, remember that. There not here ot hurt us, only help.

Laughter and going out more can help!
    And thinking positive.
    A great book that helps is called

"the 7 Habbits of Highly Effective Teens" By Sean Covey
    7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens - Google Book Search

It is a good book.

Do you know why you are depressed?

::EDIT::
    Malnutrition can actually make you upset also believe it or not. Eating junk greasy foods can make you sad or not eating enough can also make you sad.

Sep 30, 2007, 06:11 PM
    I am in college now so I do not really know if I would feel comfortable talking to a counsler.
    I did tell my one of my best friends a while ago that I have thought about suicide but they didn't do anything. I basically stopped hanging out with my friends and they always joke like "oh the crazy depressive is actually out tonight" when I do hang out.
    I agree that going to a psychollgist is just a waste of money that its why it is hard to tell my mom because like, what is she going to do about it? I kind of feel that medication would make me fell so much better though. I can't stand feeling this way anymore. Thank you for your help though :) Ive been trying to find the right time to say something like that to my mom but I just can't find it. And the worst part is, I have no idea why I feel this way! My parents are pretty wealthy and I am slightly spoiled. I go on vacations every summer. I get along with basically every. I don't have any enemies. I do good in school . Id don't see why I would feel so depressed all the time. :confused:

Sep 30, 2007, 06:19 PM
    I wasn't comfortable at first but everything is confidential. The only time they will tell someone is if you mention anything about suicide. If you say " I wanna kill my self" they will do something but if you say " I used to wanna kill my self" They wouldn't really say anything.
    Okay I'm not going to lie people can be Arseholes ,but we have to learn how to joke and laugh at ourselves. If it really hurts you then tell them to stop, or make some new friends who won't judge you but help you.

I mean, a lot of people will agree with me but I think physc. Are so stupid. You sit there an you pay them ot talk to you and tell you things you already know.
    I'm sorry but I'm someone agiasnt them. I hate them, I can't stand them. Counselers are free, convidental and local.

You can get medication if you think it will help, they have a lot of medication, zoloft maybe?

Hm.. I wish I knew. You feel like your missing something right?

I think its love. Not from a boy/girl but just love. I think you needs a hug :D
    That was a little problem for me. I didn't feel loved. But when they were concerned in my I knew they really wanted me.

Were you diagnosed with depression or you feel you have it? I was diagnosed but sometimes its not depression, just low self esteem maybe? That's what caused mine.
    I felt I was fat, wasn't pretty, so I went on a diet, changed my look and now I'm happy. For the most part xD

Sep 30, 2007, 06:25 PM
    I wasn't diagnosed or anything but I looked online for the symptoms and they all apply to what I am feeling.
    And once again, I agree that phycs are a BIG waste of money. They really do just tell you what you already know haha. Maybe I do just need a hug :p
    I don't know. Im just scared that if I tell my mom she'll just laugh at me and brush it off.

Oh and I can't thank you enough for answering ym questions and talking to me. It is actually making me feel more like calm or relaxed (cant explain it) about this situation. :)

Sep 30, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Aw, I did that too, but sometimes its related issues. But depression or not don't be afraid to get help.

Don't be afraid! My mom never takes me seriously so it was hard but when I saw her crying that she found out I wanted to kil myself and I was hurt, everything just came to me like "Wow!. I am an idiot for not realizing that all this time my friends, family loved me and I was to selfish and blind to realize it!"

I was self conscious etc.

Don't thank me :)I think I can relate to you because of what I went through.

Its hard but you have to think positive.
    When you wake up in the morning don't huide udner your covers, get up, shower,get dressed and go show the world who you are.
    Never put yourself down, or compare yourselves to others. You are you.
    Also- never be afraid to ask for love cause "All you need is love" hahah xD

If you need to talk about confidential things my email is <personal info removed> and my AIM is <personal info removed>.

I hope you start feeling better.

Really, its simpel changed. I had nooo clue why I was sad. All I kenw is something is missing.
    I changed eating habbits, I became active, I took care of myself by how I dress/look, I made new friends who made my laugh, I found a boyfriend. When you love yourself, people who love you, will love you even more :)
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Sep 30, 2007, 06:54 PM
    If you are depressed and have had suicidal you do need to seek help and you might very well need medication. Please don't listen to someone who says it's all in your head, as if you make a choice to be sad and want to kill yourself. Few people with a real case of depression can just say, "Ok I'm not going to be depressed any more" and live happily ever after. As with talking to your friends, a lot of good that will do you when they are making fun of the hurt you are feeling. If you don't want to take medication or go to a counselor there are other forms of treatment such as hypnosis, acupuncture and light therapy but you really should talk to someone who can help you figure out what the source of your depression is. Depression is a decease that doesn't always need a reason and it doesn't discriminate or care how much money you have. It is nothing to be embarrassed about. Why are you afraid to tell your mother? Tell her how you feel. As a mother myself I can tell you she would want to know and probably would understand more than you know.

Sep 30, 2007, 07:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stonewilder
    If you are depressed and have had suicidal you do need to seek help and you might very well need medication. Please don't listen to someone who says it's all in your head, as if you make a choice to be sad and want to kill yourself. Few people with a real case of depression can just say, "Ok I'm not going to be depressed any more" and live happily ever after. As with talking to your friends, a lot of good that will do you when they are making fun of the hurt you are feeling. If you don't want to take medication or go to a counselor there are other forms of treatment such as hypnosis, acupuncture and light therapy but you really should talk to someone who can help you figure out what the source of your depression is. Depression is a decease that doesn't always need a reason and it doesn't discriminate or care how much money you have. It is nothing to be embarrassed about. Why are you afraid to tell your mother? Tell her how you feel. As a mother myself I can tell you she would want to know and probably would understand more than you know.
    I didn't say her depression is all in her head, Physc. And most medications that don't seem to work, like cigerates. Don't place words in my mouth.
    And actually you do chose if you want to kill yourself or not. :)
    If you aren't diagnosed then don't jump to conclusions is really what I am telling her. So seeing a counsiler at this point might be good. Okay I had depression for two years. I dealed with it a certain way and I give people the advice I follwoed. Im happy today with no phys/meds aren't I? Yea.

Sep 30, 2007, 07:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xAjikanx
    I didnt say her depression is all in her head, Physc. and most medications that dont seem to work, like cigerates.
    I do smoke cigarettes haha.

Why are you afraid to tell your mother? Tell her how you feel. As a mother myself I can tell you she would want to know and probably would understand more than you know.
    I am afraid to tell her because I usually complain about everything and I always think there is something wrong with me. I am afraid that she would just think I am complaining again. But I have read online that what I have been doing is a sign/symptom of depression so... yeah. I don't know :confused:

Sep 30, 2007, 07:44 PM
    Haha I know I was only comparing it. Because sometimes doctors give out Placebo. There sugar pills and it makes you think its helping you. Even though it doesn't.

Aw tell her. You can't lose anything.

Sep 30, 2007, 07:50 PM
    She has to drive me somewhere tomorrow so maybe I'll tell her on the ride there. If not, I'll have find a good time eventually :/

Sep 30, 2007, 07:56 PM
    Yea that sounds good :)
    Remememememeber. Its yo mama. She will help!

Oct 1, 2007, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xAjikanx
    I didnt say her depression is all in her head, Physc. and most medications that dont seem to work, like cigerates. Dont place words in my mouth.
    And actually you do chose if you want to kill your self or not. :)
    If you arent diagnosed then dont jump to conclusions is really what I am telling her. So seeing a counsiler at this point might be good. Okay I had depression for two years. I dealed with it a certain way and I give people the advice I follwoed. Im happy today with no phys/meds arent I? Yea.

I know what you said and yes it did sound like you were saying it is all in her head. For some people counseling dose help you gain perspective on your situation so you can better deal with it. It always helps to have someone to talk to that is going to tell you what you need to hear and not what you want to hear. Also she already said her friends are not being very supportive. Depression can be severe enough that if not treated you do feel you don't have a choice but to end the pain and suffering. Everyone deals with depression at some point in their life's. Sometimes it's caused from an event or situation in which the depression can subside when it has been dealt with. Others of us has it because it is a decease. In my case it is another symptom of my ADD. Further more I went to a counselor till I dealt with the issues of my past and it did help me tremendously. I was on medication for 5 years, I stopped the medication because I too learned ways of controlling the depression. You have no way of knowing that what worked for you will indefinitely work for her. You should leave it to a profession to diagnose her problem that could actually stem from something other than simple depression. In your first post to her you said,
    “I don't recommend psychiatric help. Why are you going to pay so much money to have someone tell you" Well you have depression" and talk to you about it and might put you on medication?
    I don't think that helps.
    Like msoking- you think it helps but your wasting all your money on something dumb.”
    You have made it sound as if she would be “dumb” to talk to a professional who might be of help to her and if it’s not she can decide that herself. As well, most people do benefit from medication even if it’s taking for a short time to help them think more clearly and less negatively.

Oct 1, 2007, 06:19 PM
    [QUOTE= I am afraid to tell her because i usually complain about everything and i always think there is something wrong with me. I am afraid that she would just think i am complaining again. But i have read online that what i have been doing is a sign/symptom of depression so...yeah. I dont know :confused:[/QUOTE]

Maybe you could just tell her something along the lines of what you have told us.

Mom I need to tell you something. I been wanting to tell you for a while but... well I know I complain about everything and I always think there is something wrong with me. I don't feel good about myself or my life. I feel alone and like no one understands me.. I don't even understand me or why I feel the way I do. Sometimes I have these thoughts that scare me. I want to be happy but I'm not and I don't know why. I think I'm having problems with depression and I don't know how to make it stop...

If for some reason you can't bring yourself to tell your mom it is important that you find someone you trust and who will take your feelings seriously. This not something you need deal with alone and with out some form of support.

Oct 1, 2007, 06:37 PM
    I know what you said and yes it did sound like you were saying it is all in her head. For some people counseling dose help you gain perspective on your situation so you can better deal with it. It always helps to have someone to talk to that is going to tell you what you need to hear and not what you want to hear. Also she already said her friends are not being very supportive. Depression can be severe enough that if not treated you do feel you don't have a choice but to end the pain and suffering. Everyone deals with depression at some point in their life's. Sometimes it's caused from an event or situation in which the depression can subside when it has been dealt with. Others of us has it because it is a decease. In my case it is another symptom of my ADD. Further more I went to a counselor till I dealt with the issues of my past and it did help me tremendously. I was on medication for 5 years, I stopped the medication because I too learned ways of controlling the depression. You have no way of knowing that what worked for you will indefinitely work for her. You should leave it to a profession to diagnose her problem that could actually stem from something other than simple depression. In your first post to her you said,
    “I dont recommend psychiatric help. why are you gonna pay so much money to have someone tell you" Well you have depression" and talk to you about it and might put you on medication?
    I dont think that helps.
    Like msoking- you think it helps but your wasting all your money on somethign dumb.”
    You have made it sound as if she would be “dumb” to talk to a professional who might be of help to her and if it’s not she can decide that herself. As well, most people do benefit from medication even if it’s taking for a short time to help them think more clearly and less negatively.

Hahahahahah. NO.
    It sounded like it did but it wasn't.
    Lol don't lecture me about depression. I been through it for 2 years.
    Yea I said I dotn recommend that kind of help.
    THE HELP IS ALL IN PEOPLES HEADS. Not her depression. -.-
    She even said her sel she doenst like pyyscs.

Okay what in the world would oyu like me to do about her friends? I have nothing to do with it. Its quite simple, she can drop them or tell them that it hurts.

I dealed with those people and I don't like them, dotn attack what I said. If I wasn't talking to you then don't attack what I said and get everyhtign mixed up, help her, don't worry about what I'm saying. If she had a problem with anything I said she would have said something like "Your wrong". Mmkay? Ty.
    Yea she can decde for her self, I said I'm not RECOMMENDING.
    +I don't believe I nthat kind of medicine.

Like I said, don't attack what I saidy because you got everything mixed up.
    I can care less how you feel about my opinions, I dotn eed someone comp aing on what I say unless it's the person I'm giving the advice to. Don't be a hero.

And sorry to
    Bbgrl but these kind of things annoy me, no disrespect to you or your thread.

*I can be pretty ruthless but I'm holding back so much. I hate being misunderstood.

And I recommended counseling, not a physc. Because if she oesnt really have depression then all that money she's spending would be pointless, a guidnece counselor's is the first best choice for me.
    Like I said though, stop worrying about what I'm saying and worry about your answers more.
    sadsue Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bbgirl
    Lately I have been really depressed. It has been over a year now. I stopped going to school for a week or so and the principal suggested i see i psychologist but i never did. Nobody knows about how depressed i am because i hide it all the time. I really want to get some help before i really lose it. I just don't know how to tell my mom. Any suggestions on how to tell her that I would like to get some professional help? :( :confused: :(
    Get help for the love of God before you end up like me. Tell your mom or someone you trust but don't waste your life.
    mnunn Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2007, 07:10 PM
    My heart goes out to you. My son was going through so much when he was a teenager and turned out fine later, but scared me to death sometimes. He was a "cutter" and would often cut on his wrists. I am convinced that there are so many things that can contribute to depression and that is why you absolutely need to get professional help. If you don't like one, then you have a right to change to one you are comfortable with. Hormones can wreak havoc and even later on in life like people my age. I never make any major decisions about anybody or anything when I feel PMS because I don't trust my feelings. Heck sometimes I kick the door when I have this going on and later wonder what in the world that was all about. There are so many people affected by depression, and you may think that no one else understands or knows, but everyone around you is affected. Heck, they may actually be relieved to know that is what's going on instead of just your personality. Best to have some conseling, take care to be healthy and if you need it then take the medicine. It's not always one certain pill for everyone, but usu they start with a really low dose and might have to make adjustments until it is right for you. And you may not need them once the hormone's stabilize as you get older. They may need to ck your thyroid hormones as well. I sincerely wish you all the best. Please let us know how all this turns out.

Oct 2, 2007, 06:44 PM
    Whatever, it doesn't change the fact that you are screwing with a persons life when they say they feel suicidal and discourage them form getting professorial help. Don't try to defend what you said 'cause bottom line, in your first post you said it was dumb.

Oct 2, 2007, 06:49 PM
    LMAO!!
    Screwing with a persons life? I didn't tell her ot go kill her self.
    I told her to tell her mom and go to a guidance counsiller.
    That's PROFESSIONAL HELP. I said I dotn like physc. She doesn't either.

I can keep going all night at this.
    My post was dumb Nah how about I just make yo ufeel stupid.

I HAD Depression, I WAS suicidal. I didn't daignose myself, THEREFORE it would of been pointless to pay money to see a physcatrist.

I first went to a Guidance COUNSILLER> She told me I have a case of Depression then after a while of her and I chattign she RECOMMNDED I see a physc. I don't like them so I didn't go.

Why pay so much money for meds if you don't even know you have depression? That's why Counsillers are a good first step.
    I didn't tell her "Ohh never go to themm!" I said I dotn Recommend them.
    Because the only thng more they can do is give you medicines.

I told her to go see a counsiller first and tell her mom.

I EVEN recommnded a greeat book that helps with theeset hings. So I don't know who your trying to fool, that I'm tryign to screw up her life?
    Go find some rocks to play with and stop saying I'm ruining peoples lifes and that my posts are dumbs. I dotn want feedbakck from you, I want it from her, because this is who I'm writing too.
    Poor girl has to deal with this nonsense now. Im sorry bbgrl.

Soooo... yer beat.

Oct 3, 2007, 01:41 PM
    Wow. I didn't know my post would cause this much commotion :eek: haha. Anyway, id just like to thank you guys again for your suggestion. You have really helped me. And I am not going to take a side on the argument but I do understand what both of you are saying so no need to argue anymore. :cool: haha these smiley faces are just adorable. :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I depressed? [ 7 Answers ]

Ok well every now and then I go through these like little periods of depression, each time it only lasts about one week, but its not like "oh i'm having a bad week, i sad and frustrated and just not my usual self".. Its like actual depression and the whole time its happening I'm like "i hate...

Depressed please help [ 10 Answers ]

Hi I'm kk17 I'm going through a rough time at the moment and have been for about 3 years. I'm going through depression and its getting worse. I'm going to the doctors next week but I'm worried she won't give me anything for it. I've been to 3 different councelors and they don't help, as I know...

Depressed [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: hello poeople out there like you I also have the same problem about the dark sode of our u. arms. Since I've been reading about your insights on how to solve this, I think if I could only buy that product things would be easier for me but I can't can you please give me tips or some...

Please help me very depressed! [ 11 Answers ]

Believe this it's the short version but doesn't appear that way: Adult son moved away and did not come and say goodbye to me. He has never done this to me ever. And he has moved away from here many times before. I would not lend him money this time! He is a son from my first marriage. No other...

View more questions Search