Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nycjd23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2005, 09:15 PM
    Restoring my credit
    I just paid off everything on my credit report that was negative. I have a car loan and a student loan in good standing. Everything else was seriously delinquent , in collections, or an attorney. I have paid it all off, what's the best way to build my credit back up?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2005, 02:42 AM
    Generally speaking, time with all and only good credit is the cure.

But:
    Get a copy of your credit report from all three vendors (TransUnion, Equifax and Experian). Study them carefully, and if anything is in error, dispute it.

They are supposed to correct or remove the entry within 30 days.

Here's how to get ahold of each one. You can do the ordering, and if necessary, disputing, over the phone or online nowadays.

TransUnion: 800-888-4213 or online
    Equifax: 800-685-1111 or online
    Experian: 888 397 3742 or online
    CHAYOTE23 Posts: 37, Reputation: 0

Nov 27, 2005, 12:52 AM
    Rebuild your FICO
    :o The best way to rebuild your FICO score is to continue to pay your current student loans or other creditor on time and make sure that the creditor are reporting your payments to Experian, TransUnion and Equifax. However, there are also several other alternatives to increase your FICO socore. First of all, you can apply for a Credit Card or a Unsecured Credit Card in order to receive points toward your FICO score and as consumer according to the FCRA you have the right yo have accounts added to your Credit Report in order to increase your FICO score.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2005, 05:18 AM
    Build back up
    Hi,
    I agree with all the answers you have so far... especially the one about getting a new credit card from a new company (one you don't already have).
    Charge something on the new credit card, then pay it all off when you get the bill. It only has to be a few dollars, but it will help you get back in good standing.
    I do wish you the best.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2006, 07:46 AM
    Hello:

The best way would have been to negotiate with the collection agiencies to remove the negative information from your report BEFORE you paid them. Now, they surly won't.

You'll have to wait 7 years for all the negative information to come off now.

Build it back up? Keep paying on the car loan. The student loan probably doesn't show up on your report.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Restoring a Flash Drive (instead of re-formatting it) [ 26 Answers ]

I have a flash drive with a number of items on it that I need. When I go to access the drive, which I have used for the past couple of months, I now get an error message saying that the drive is not formatted and needs to be formatted. I know that if I re-format it, I'll lose all my work on...

Flash Drive Access Route Restoring [ 1 Answers ]

How do I restore the access route or path to my flash drive. I had a document opened from my flash drive when my PC shut down and I had to remove the flash drive in order to start the PC up again. Now when I try to open the flash drive again, it says the path has not been restored and I have lost...

Restoring saved files [ 3 Answers ]

Hello: I backed up some Outlook Express email folders, but the program made me compact them first. I did, and saved them on a backup CD with the file extension dbx. How do I UN-compact them and get them back into Outlook Express where I can read them. excon

New educator credit [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody know if the new educator expense adjustment, line 23, can be used by somebody teaching in an adult GED program? Frankly it is just one more bit of garbage added to the disgusting mess we call the income tax. At the most, it will only mean $125 to a few couples. Anybody that...

View more questions Search