Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    a-vixen Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Rawhide for daschunds
    I have an 11 week old doxi and a 7 year old doxi,they both love to chomp at knotted rawhide and even play tug of war with it,I find this great as they are bonding well together,I just want to know how much rawhide shuold I be giving them?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2007, 10:19 AM
    None, zero, zip! The pet stores are full of toys that many dogs will quickly chew up into
    Pieces they could choke on or cause intestinal blockages. If you are not
    There to watch, stick to sturdy stuff such as Nylabones and Kongs. Keep a
    Close eye on chew toys and quickly discard anything that is coming apart in
    Pieces. Rawhide is especially bad because it swells after being swallowed.
    I don't trust any of the consumable chews. The dogs just gnaw them down to a
    Dangerous size too quickly. These problems are the worst with, but not
    Limited to, large, aggressive chewers such as Labs.

Ropes from the pets' store quickly turn to hazardous shreds. Ones I made
    Lasted much better. Go to a hardware or home center that sells rope by the
    Foot. Buy 2' of 3/4" poly rope. Melt the ends, and tie knots in it. Get
    Them as tight as possible, put it in a vise and pound it with a hammer. Watch
    Carefully, and be ready to discard when it comes apart.

Take a look at the sticky starting at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Daschunds and Parakeets? [ 3 Answers ]

We have two mini piebald daschunds who are normal for their breed--they love to sniff and eat whatever they find on the floor. My daughter wants a parakeet, and as I expect a lot of birdseed debris on the floor, I am wondering if eating this would be harmful to the dogs. Also if the bird got...

Breeding Daschunds [ 2 Answers ]

I have a black and tan male miniature daschund and I will be getting a female black and tan min daschund soon. Ans I was wondering when I breed them will I only get black and tan puppies?

Rawhide bad for dogs? [ 8 Answers ]

I just got a new puppy, I have not had I dog since I was I little kid so I am kind of clueless. So my friend told me that rawhide bones are bad for dogs, is that true? Cause when I was growing up my dogs always had these treats, and they were completely fine.

Rawhide bones [ 2 Answers ]

I heard rawhide is not good for dogs. Is this true? If so, how come? Thanks everyone

Breeding Daschunds [ 1 Answers ]

I have a female and a male standard. I want to breed them, but I was told by the Vet that because they are in the same house together all the time she will not let him. It must be true, because she just sits down and will NOT. I am going to do it artificial. Can you tell me what the normal amount...

View more questions Search