Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VladimirD Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2005, 01:28 AM
    Self-referenced table in Oracle 9i database for huge amounts of data
    Hello!
    I'm designing a database (Oracle 9i) for payments registration system, obviously it will hold a VERY big amount of data, which is going to be changing constantly. There are so called “list payments”, which have several beneficiaries bound to it, additionally for transferring money to some beneficiaries a commission fee might be applied, which is to be bound to the payment, or rather to certain beneficiary, as well. “List payment” has about 6 properties, which are common for all beneficiaries. Commission fees and “list payments” beneficiaries properties are very similar to those of payments. Firstly I've been planning to create the following structure: single self-referenced table PAYMENTS for all payments types, including “list payments”, payment beneficiaries and commissions fees. Field PAYMENTS.ID would be a unique primary key to identify objects stored into PAYMENTS table. Records representing payments beneficiaries would have field PAYMENTS._ID filled with PAYMENTS.ID value of master “list payment” it is bound to. If commission fee would to be applied to the money transfer to certain beneficiary, then it would be stored in the same table PAYMENTS, with PAYMENTS._ID equal to PAYMENTS.ID of beneficiary. My question is how is such structure going to affect performance, is not it better to store beneficiaries in the separate table from point of view of performance (coz from point of view of convenience it is better to store all the data in the same table... at least for me :) )? Which approach would be preferable and why? Any advice will be appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 10, 2005, 05:41 AM
    This is really an issue for generic database design, the platform doesn't matter.

If I understand you, a "list Payment" is a payout to a group of individuals. Each payment might or might not have a commission attached to it. If so your structure would be like this:

Beneficiaries
    BeneficiaryID (Primary Key)
    Other info about beneficiary

MasterPayment
    MasterPaymentID (PK)
    PaymentDate
    PaymentSource
    Other info specific to the total payment

Payments
    PaymentID (PK)
    MasterPaymentID (Foreign key)
    BeneficiaryID (FK)
    PaymentAmount
    Other info about individual payment

Commissions
    CommissionID (PK)
    PaymentID (FK)
    CommissionRate
    Other info about commission

Oct 10, 2005, 06:13 AM
    Hello Scott!
    At first place I want to thank You for the prompt reply.
    I'm trying to figure out which structure is better in terms of performance as soon as it is the critical issue - one table containing all the data joined with self-references. Or two tables one of which will hold payments data and the other beneficiaries data.

The thing is that all four - simple non-“list payment”, “list payments”, payments commissions and beneficiaries data structures are very much similar (they have account numbers, sums to transfer, payment currencies etc.). That's why I am considering an option of storing all the data in the same table bound together by means of self referencing foreign keys.

1st option:

[Table Payments]
    PaymentID (PK)
    <PaymentData>
    <CommissionData>
    <BeneficiaryData>
    MasterPaymentID (FK) - points to “list payments” PaymentID (PK) in the same table in case if current record is beneficiary data, or to beneficiary PaymentID (PK) in records representing payments commissions. And in case if the record is “list”or a simple payment it obviously will be NULL.

2nd option:
    [Table Payments]
    PaymentID (PK)
    <PaymentData>
    <CommissionData>

[Table Beneficiaries]
    <BeneficiaryData>
    MasterPaymentID - points to “list payments” PaymentID (PK) in the “Payments” table
    CommissionPaymentID - points to “commission payment” PaymentID (PK) in the “Payments” table.

What I'd like to know is which design is more suitable for the system which is targeted to processing HUGE amounts of data, which will perform better? I'm trying to conduct a test which would give me an answer to the question myself, but I really need some “third” opinion from an expert or a person, who had an experience of implementing/using similar system in production environment.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 10, 2005, 10:00 AM
    I told you what my recommendation would be. What you need to do is read up on the rules of normalization. This is a KEY design guideline for relational databases. One of the main principles of relational databases is to reduce or eliminate redundancy. The structure I gave you is a more normalized one.

Oct 10, 2005, 11:44 AM
    Thank You very much for the recommendation, I will definitely take it into account.
    tikitime Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Mar 27, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Hey Vladimir, Scott's answer was excellent...

I'll chime in and say that while yes, performance is important, so is ease of maintnenance and future growth. One giant self joining table will not make that happen for you.

In the future, you can always partion your data to improve performance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Data entry or data processing from home. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello from Florida, My name is Don and I am looking for a free data entry from home website that I can find. It is not easy to find! Please help!

Air Hockey Table... [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a website I could go to to order an Air Hockey Table. Preferably in the Dallas, Tx area, bt ne place would work

Dirt amounts [ 1 Answers ]

How much dirt would I need (in yards ) to fill a hole 1ft deep by 10 ft long by 15ft wide

Div Vs Table [ 3 Answers ]

Just a quick question. I've seen a few pages on the internet about using DIV tags instead of tables. Could someone just quickly tell me what's the best to use? I could imagine DIV tags would provide you more control via CSS, but I can also see that they would be a pain in the ass to use. ...

View more questions Search