Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    canaan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2007, 02:11 PM
    Withdrawal of 401K before tax
    I am 61 and want to withdraw part of my 401K to finish paying off some debt. How would I figure how much to withdraw if I wanted a cash amount of $38,000.00? :(
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 29, 2007, 03:17 PM
    You'll have to pay federal income tax on the withdrawal, as well as state income tax (depending on where you live). The amount of tax you owe is dependent on the tax bracket that this withdrawal will put you in, which in turn depends on factors such as your filing status, deductions, and income you may be receiving from other sources. So it's impossible to put a specific number on this without doing a lot of analysis. However, once you know your tax bracket the math is pretty easy - the amount you will need to withdraw to net you $38K after taxes is:

Amount = $38K/(1-Bracket%), where Bracket% is the total of your federal and state tax brackets.

For example, if you are in the 25% bracket for your federal return and in a 6% bracket for your state income tax, you would need to withdraw:

$38K/(1-(.25+.06)) = $38K/(.69) = $55,072

So withdrawing just over $55K would net you $38K after taxes. Now this is just an example, and it's a very conservative estimate as it ignores the fact that you can probably deduct the increased state taxes from your federal taxes, so in fact you may not need to withdraw quite that much. Like I said, an accurate calculation would require a lot of analysis.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

J1 visa holder with 401k, withdrawal, tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a J1 visa holder researcher from Korea, 27-year old single, non-resident alien for tax purpose. I have a several questions about my 401k and tax return and other details. I'm really desperate with lack of US tax knowledge and complicate situation. I hope someone rescue me and give me any...

401k withdrawal [ 3 Answers ]

How much income tax would I have to pay on $5000.00

401K withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

My husband took an early withdraw from his 401K for personal reasons, they took only 10% taxes off before we received it, we claimed it on our 2005 tax return as income from the 1099R and paid an additional 10% tax, now we receive a notice telling us we should have paid an additional 10%? Also, is...

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

401K Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I'm in a place I need money but have no job and don't know what I am doing in trying to get some money to put on a apartment with a friend and I need to know how to do a draw from the 401k for a start to a new life.

View more questions Search