Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kk3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2007, 01:43 PM
    How to install a check valve
    Our crawl space gets water in it all the time. I think I have determined that what is happening is that water from the ditch where the sump pump drains is backing up the pipe into the sump pump and back into the crawl space. I've dug the ditch deeper, but because of clay we can only go so far. I can't re-route the discharge pipe. Someone told me that a check valve is what I need and they said I would need to dig back about 2 feet from where it empties into the ditch and install the valve, but that the valve would be bigger than the 1 1/2 discharge pipe. I found a valve to fit the pipe, but wonder why I have to go back that far from the ditch? Also, if there is that much water in the ditch, is the sump pump action going to be strong enough to keep the water flowing the way I want? The man in the hardware store said I had to drill a hole in the discharge pipe to keep the pump from air locking. The pipe is buried, so would drilling a hole help?
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 02:20 PM
    The check valve should be installed where it would be accessible for repair, could be installed at the pipes end, I don't know what you could possibly achieve by putting a hole in the pipe. The only thing that may be a question is if the pump can overcome the operation of the check valve( spring pressure) Good luck, Mike
    rizaluna Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2010, 08:46 PM
    Why we must install check valve at the discharge line?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 20, 2010, 05:13 AM

Hi Rizaluna...

We install check valves with SUMP PUMPS to keep the water that got pumped up and out by the pump from falling back into the pump pit/basin. Without the check valve in place the pumped water can fall back into the pit/basin and create a cycling of the water that can burn the pump out.

Hope that answered the question for you...

Mark

PS: For future readers be sure to drill a 3/16" hole...angled downward... in the discharge pipe at the level of the top of the pump itself to prevent airlock between the pump and the check valve. Rare as it is, a pump without this hole can "dry pump" and cause the pump to burn out and fail.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Check Valve Installation [ 1 Answers ]

I have a waterfall for my pool which is very tall. The pump was installed at the top for some reason and must suck the water out of the pool (approximately 30 feet up). It takes a long time and I'm afraid the pump will burn out. I prefer not to install a bulky check valve at then end of the line...

Install Bathtub shut off valve [ 6 Answers ]

Hello! We are trying to install a shut off valve as a temporary fix to a broken faucet, not being paid till the first and needing this taken care of. My toddler was in the bathtub when I went to turn off the hot water and the faucet shot off the wall, along with gallons of water like a geiser, we...

Sump Check Valve Chattering [ 7 Answers ]

I have a check valve for my sump pump output that chatters quite a lot at the end of each cycle when the pump runs. This is definitely coming from the check valve. It's a pretty standard rubber flap type. It would seem to be some kind of vapor lock/vaccuum/suction type problem, but I don't...

Check valve question [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a washing machine and hooking into what was a shower drain. There will be no sink. I want to add a check valve to prevent dirty water flowing back into the washer in case of a clog. What type of check valve am I looking for? I haven't been able to find a suitable one at the...

Water heater check valve [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I just moved into a new house. The builder bankrupted on us and left us with several problems. Most are readily fixable, but one has me a bit puzzled. There are two water heaters, one at each end of the house, connected properly. They connect to the water lines in parallel so that the...

View more questions Search