Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mauigirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2005, 11:09 PM
    Slow Filling Whirlpool Tub
    I'm in the process of buying a new home. During the home inspection it was noted the whirlpool tub in the master bath fills very slowly. By slowly I mean it took 10 minutes to get the water level above the jets. The water pressure is fine, 60 psi. I'm thinking there may be a flow restrictor that's causing the problem. The tub spout and control valve are wall mounted. Is this an easy fix?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 10, 2005, 05:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mauigirl
    The tub spout and and control valve are wall mounted. Is this an easy fix?
    Hey Girl,

In water piping the house some construction debris got in the pipes, some sawdust, tiny wood chips, dirt, etc. and lodged in the inlet ports of the cartridge on your valve. The answer is to shut off the water to the valve, open it up and clear the inlet ports. Your new home is under a builders warranty and this should be fixed without any action or charge on your part. Also any other defects you can come up with. Best of luck in your new home. Tom

Oct 10, 2005, 10:41 AM
    Mahalo for the reply Speedball. The house I'm buying is 5 years old and the owner has confirmed that there's a flow reducer in the water pipe. Does increasing the flow require a professional or is it a simple DIY project? The inspector seems to think all I'd have to do is "drill out the reducer to open it up".
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 10, 2005, 12:12 PM
    Drill it out! Good luck, Tom
    theBigkill Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2005, 04:23 PM
    Hey speedball, is there any reason why they would have installed the flow control fitting? I'm just curious

Oct 10, 2005, 05:20 PM
    Aloha theBigkill

To answer your question, when the house was under construction Maui was in the midst of a drought. The Maui County Department of Water Supply was offering incentives for water conservation. The County was giving away things like, low-flow showerheads, self closing hose nozzles, and faucet aerators. The builder took advantage of the freebies. Most made sense, some didn't. Seems to me you'd use more hot water if a tub takes 10-15 minutes to fill up halfway. By the time the water level is high enough to run the jets the water has cooled so more hot water gets added. Then again maybe the idea was to save water by making the tub a pain to use. ;)
    theBigkill Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2005, 06:12 PM
    Oohh OK, I was wondering about that... didnt seem to make sense to constrict the flow. And yeah it seems to me like you would use more hot water if it took that long to fill the tub. My whirlpool takes about 10 minutes (without any constriction) to fill 3/4 full and since acrylic tubs don't hold heat like the old cast ones do I often have to keep adding hot water

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help filling the W4 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Hello to all the members here. I am a new member here and would like some information on how to fill the W4. I have recently joined a new employer and am wondering how to go about it. I will be filing as a single individual. I wanted to know if I can claim my retired parent's in India as...

I am filling F1 and my wife H1 [ 3 Answers ]

I am filling as F1 as I am still a student. My wife was a student till May 2005 but after which she got a job. So, she is currently on H1. 1. what is a procedure to fill taxes for H1? 2. can we fill the taxes together so that we pay less to Uncle SAM?

Filling taxes in CA... [ 2 Answers ]

I have no time to search for an answer, so I will just post my question. My question is. Can someone who had a job for 4-5 months file taxes in CA? That may be too simple, but I need to know. Thanks :confused:

Slow filling toilet cistern [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, we have a push button toilet which has just started to fill really slowly. Inside, there looks like there's a plastic arm with one end stopping a jet of water and the other end pivoting on the float. The end that stops the jet of water is hissing water out of the top whilst there's just a...

Whirlpool bath drains slow [ 3 Answers ]

I just moved into a new house and have a new whirlpool bathtub for the first time, but no owner's manual. After a month or so of living, the water is draining slower and I need to clean the hair out of the filter/trap. The drain plug just pushes down to close draining or pushes up to open. I can't...

View more questions Search