Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Love-Life Posts: 32, Reputation: 4

Sep 29, 2007, 12:00 AM
    Better: Canada or America?
    Just a question for everyone. I live in Canada and in social class we are taught that Americans are selfish, ruthless, and take advantage of Canadians. When I have gone to the U.S I have found a difference in the way people treat you, they seem less friendly and courteous. Also, when on Xbox live, or on t.v shows, Americans like to make stupid jokes about Canadians living in igloos, always saying eh etc etc. I think its ridiculous how the American media will diss Canadians, when we're the peace keepers of the world and don't say or do the same things to Americans. We have many many different lessons in school based on the American economy and their way of life. I have friends who have moved here from California, and they said they haven't really ever learned anything about Canada; probably the reason Americans are convinced we are eskimos living in the tundra. Tell me if Im wrong, but most Americans are ignorant to Canada's way of life, and in response to that, are very rude to us.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 29, 2007, 03:02 AM
    Let me see you are taught that americans are selfish, ruthless and take advantage of people. And yes the giant army that Canada has keeps the peace all around the world right? And of course TV makes fun of all cultures, southern rednecks, California gays and so on.

I would say you need to live a lot more before you start having stupid judgements of an entire group of people
    Biggie Posts: 99, Reputation: 10

Sep 29, 2007, 03:15 AM
    I just happened to meet a Canadian girl on here today and she said nothing bad about the U.S. Looks like you're just trying to ruffle some feathers.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2007, 03:36 AM
    As a canadian I would like to publicly disown Love-life. What he/she wrote is a pile of rubbish. We are absolutely not taught that. Canadians and Americans have been good neighbours for centuries. I will concede that we do get a lot of your media here so we probably know more about you than you do about us.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 04:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    As a canadian I would like to publicly disown Love-life. What he/she wrote is a pile of rubbish. We are absolutely not taught that. Canadians and Americans have been good neighbours for centuries. I will concede that we do get a lot of your media here so we probably know more about you than you do about us.
    I agree with NK.
    Some Americans are not well informed about most other countries.

From where I live, we get to see the whole world on the news and other channels.
    So we tend to know a lot more about other cultures than someone from the West would know about, say Asia,Australia etc:).
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Sep 29, 2007, 04:37 AM
    I have met several Canadians (during Mardi Gras mainly)... and they didn't think I was to selfish or ruthless to have a good ol time :) I can't stand when people throw racism... no matter who it is towards!

Sep 29, 2007, 11:01 AM
    Speak for yourself. All my life, my teachers have been very bias AGAINST the way the U.S is. People's opinons of the U.S are different from individual to individual. As a Canadian, Im surprised your so oblivious to how Canada is portrayed through parodies, or t.v shows through America's point of view. I don't think its right.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    let me see you are taught that americans are selfish, ruthless and take advantage of people. And yes the giant army that Canada has keeps the peace all around the world right? And of course TV makes fun of all cultures, southern rednecks, california gays and so on.

I would say you need to live alot more before you start having stupid judgements of an entire group of people

Hmm yes, and America has a great big army trying to create peace right? Im sure they have great big armies doing nothing but creating half of the controversy in the world. Im taught what I am taught. And as individuals, Americans are all different, as are Canadians. But the U.S in a whole does not give Canada the respect they deserve. And don't tell me that Im judging the U.S as a whole, when you can turn on your T.V and find 100000 things that are making rude, untrue comments about Canada.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 29, 2007, 11:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Love-Life
    Speak for yourself. All my life, my teachers have been very bias AGAINST the way the U.S is. People's opinons of the U.S are different from individual to individual. As a Canadian, Im surprised your so oblivious to how Canada is portrayed through parodies, or t.v shows through America's point of view. I dont think its right.
    Your instructors are very prejudiced then. And I don't think that is right. They are teaching you to be a prejudiced person. These instructors should be removed from education. I know here in the States if we had a teacher that talked down about any other nationality they would be removed quite promptly after being reported.

It's a sad sad day when we allow our teachers to promote prejudice in our school systems. Cultural diversity is a wonderful thing and we should all be blessed to learn to be diverse individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Love-Life
    But the U.S in a whole does not give Canada the respect they deserve.
    And you got your info where? From a prejudicial teacher and the media? What a joke.

Sep 29, 2007, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    And you got your info where? From a prejudicial teacher and the media? What a joke.
    No this is NOT a joke. Obviously how I have written this question has done nothing but make a lot of people angry. My teachers are nothing close to prejudice at all. They made it clear that the education system in the U.S is very close minded about other countries, they don't want their students learning about other countries, and as a result of that; has created a lot of ignorance towards other countries.
    The point that Im trying to make, is I am tired of the way "America are sopossedly friends with Canada." When half the people in America hate Canada and half of Canada hates America. It isn't right.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 29, 2007, 11:24 AM
    Where in the world do you get that half of the people in America hate Canadians? I can't speak for Canadians hating Americans.

From what you have posted, and maybe you did word it wrong, but your teachers are prejudiced against us Americans.

Unless your teachers have spend an extraordinary amount of time here in the US schools, then they really don't know what is taught in school districts across the US.

True, we teach more about American History here, than say China or Thailand, but that is because our history is rather unique in that our country is one of the youngest in the world and that everyone here, aside from Native Americans, migrated from other countries to make one united country less than 250 years ago. We are a very young nation with a huge history in a very short period.

I won't disagree that we are lacking in educating our children about other countries, we are. But to put a blanket statement saying that the majority of Americans hate Canadians is factually incorrect.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 29, 2007, 11:34 AM
    If what you claim is true, you should be ashamed of yourself and your teachers should be fired. Do you believe everything you are told? Or only the things your teachers say?
    I subscribe to XM and there is a comedy channel that I love to listen to. Many times there are Canadian entertainers, who sometimes bash Americans. Sometimes I think they're serious and sometimes I think they're going for the laugh. If I get offended, I shrug it off as that individual being ignorant, not the entire country. You should take it upon yourself to find out first hand if what you claim your teachers are telling you is true.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2007, 01:28 PM
    You are going to the wrong school then and your teachers are feeding you the same garbage they were fed. That is right, garbage. Yes, there are Americans who make fun of Canadians but they make fun of Mexicans, Cubans, Europeans, Middle East, etc. They make fun of anyone that does not agree with them, including fellow Americans. We call them racists and bigots. Not all Americans ascribe to that way of living. AS much as you do not like to be peg holed into a category, neither do I. I resent it, in fact.

You should read more than what you are spoon fed.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 07:54 PM
    Canadians don't live in Igloos? Well I'll be, news to me. You know, I think we should forcably take the west coast of Canada so we can have our own sceanic coastal highway up to Alaska. That will be really nice. That will teach them to broadcast the Doug and Bob show over the boarder where innocent, decent Americans may accidentally come into contact with that vile, disgusting trash. Maybe when we take over the west coast of Canada, we'll get lucky and get to take Rick Moronass hostage. That will be really, really nice. We could send him to Guantanamo.
    star3114 Posts: 234, Reputation: 44

Sep 29, 2007, 08:08 PM
    I am a born and raised American and have been fascinated with Canada since I can remember. I love learning about the different cultures and various government policies. This curiousity started when one of my teachers had us do a unit of study on Canada. No where in that unit of study was it mentioned that Canadians hate Americans, or Americans hate Canadians. I guess my question to you is "do you believe everything you hear?" Do you just assume that because they are your teacher and telling you this... that it is true?? What poll or scientific study indicated that half of Canada hates America and vice-versa? You are a very ignorant person if you would believe such a broad generalized statement and it makes you even more ignorant that you wouldn't attempt to search out the truth. Now I can honestly say that I do dislike a Canadian... but not because you are from Canada... it is because of the content of your character that I dislike you... you are an ignorant fool!
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 08:12 PM
    You stop jumping on that poor little Canadian... I know they are tasty but please refrain!

Sep 29, 2007, 08:16 PM
    I'll try to refrain... next time ;O)
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 29, 2007, 08:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    Ya'll stop jumpin on that poor little Canadian...I know they are tasty but please refrain!
    Bar-B-Qued! Hehehe
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Sep 29, 2007, 08:56 PM
    I've always thought of Canada as the U.S. best friend type of picking relationship. It goes back and forth. And as for what you said about the US not teaching about other Country's... What about teaching only one side of the story. There are always in the very least two sides to every story. You have probably only heard one side and never bothered to question it. I have gotten along with most of our neighbors to the North that I have ever met. I don't like being lumped into criticisms and generalized. We are all human so what does it really matter where we've been born and where we live. We all live on this planet. Why should I care? I don't hate anyone. And if ever I do hate someone I will hate all even my own equally. So if ignorance is bliss you must be very happy in the dark.

Sep 29, 2007, 09:13 PM
    Myth... I loved your last sentence. That is perfection!!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2007, 09:37 PM
    Exactly, I would like to second that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

America and mexico [ 80 Answers ]

Do you think that the government should either build a fence across the us-mexico border or do something else to stop the flow of illegal immigrants?

Moving from America. [ 1 Answers ]

My friend moved to America some years ago but is still a UK citizen. She has had 2 children whilst over there and the are American citizens how could she move back to England with her children? She really needs to come back.

Cuban to america to canada to in limbo [ 2 Answers ]

I will make is short and brief. I am dating a cuban. His storey is that he left cuba to marry an american, but got himself in trouble with the law ( charged with intent of arson, and threats). He was charged and was supposed to serve time but fled to canada before serving his time or applying...

Only in America [ 5 Answers ]

Only in America 1. Only in America... can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance. 2. Only in America... are there handicap parking places in front of a skating rink. 3. Only in America... do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their...

View more questions Search