Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 07:21 AM
    MMR,does anyone know?
    MMR(Rubella and measles) vaccine is relatively new in Asia.
    Now they have plans to make it mandatory from toddlers to adults of 25, to get MMR vaccine.

I was wondering if it is a mandatory vaccine in the US/UK?

And if there have been any reported side effects or negative results of this vaccine, could someone clarify?

I have read some articles on the net,but if you have any personal experience with this vaccine, I would really appreciate it if you could share.

Thanks.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 07:37 AM
    Firm believer, I have 3 children 2 took the mmr no problem my oldest came down with a rare disease right after taking the vaccine. This disease almost cost him his life. Doctors can or can not confirm that this vaccine caused his problem. He was a healthy little boy had a physical was given the vaccine and within 2 weeks the disease had progressed till it was visible to the naked eye. No vaccine is mandatory in the USA you can be exempt for medical or reglious reasons. I am not sure how your child would be handled if there was an outbreak of that particular diseaase. If they could be forced to take it or temp. removed from school until the danger was over. My neices son had a reaction to a shot he is 1st grade actually he has had 2 reactions and is due for the third and she is not allowing them to give him his 3rd set. I am not sure which type it is though.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2007, 07:43 AM
    I never had that vaccine - that was before "my time" and so I contracted the measles and mumps the way most kids my age did back then. My children were all vaccinated. If they had not had the vaccine, they would not have been able to enroll in school. Parents can refuse to have their child get the vaccine, on the grounds of religious and medical reasons.

Yes, there can be serious complications from the vaccine. One of my close friends had taken her third child to the doctor for the vaccine and within six hours of the shot, he developed a high fever and started having seizures. Before the vaccine there was no indication of mental retardation, after the episode with high fever and seizures, he never gained back what his mental abilities were before the vaccine.

So problems can happen. But think of the consequences to a child who is not vaccinated and runs into one of the illnesses. I once knew a woman who had never had that MMR and when she was seven months pregnant she contracted rubella. Her baby did not live.
    There are positive and negative sides to the vaccine.
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 08:37 AM
    Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I am being rather cautious about MMR vaccine only, it is rather new here.

My daughter had all the other vaccines that is necessary (TB,polio drops,BCG etc).

I am not decided one way or another.
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Polio drops are a live virus anyone that has not had their polio vaccine is susceptible to contracting it if anyone of your child's fluid gets on them after they have taken the drops. I knew a lady that got it form her child spitting up the day that she had the drops. A lot of the times dr's. Don't mention this. Or at least ours did not.
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    Polio drops are a live virus anyone that has not had their polio vaccine is susceptible to contracting it if anyone of your childs fluid gets on them after they have taken the drops. I knew a lady that got it form her child spitting up the day that she had the drops. Alot of the times dr's. don't mention this. Or at least ours did not.
    I did not know, that's a scary thought.
    And the doctors here never mentioned such a thing about the polio drops.

Mine did not spit it out.

Now do you realise why I feel cautious of new medical cures/vaccines?
    Most Doctors will not disclose if there are any side effects.Or some effects do not show in lab settings, and we find out too late like it did with your elder one.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 09:11 AM
    Get your children vaccinated the benefits far outweigh the risks.
    Mumps and Measles can be horrendous and fatal illnesses.
    WHO | Measles
    WHO | Mumps
    WHO | Rubella and Congenital Rubella Syndrome (CRS)

Here is a great site which I hope will put your mind at ease
    MMR the facts

I don't have children but if I do I would not hesitate to get them vaccinated (and I have read the reports and papers)
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 09:11 AM
    Firm not spitting it out. Their spit, feces, vomit can cause a person that has not been vaccinated against polio to get it.
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 09:40 AM
    templelane,

Thanks for the vote of confidence in MMR.

Mine already got all the shots, except this MMR.

I have to get her vaccinated before I can enroll her in school here, so there is little choice even if I do not completely feel at ease about it.

bushg,
    Thanks for the info.
    I will be cautious the next time I have to take a kid for vaccination of polio (I was the one who took my daughter and her cousin for vaccination).
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 29, 2007, 09:49 AM
    This is from the Centers for Disease Control regarding MMR

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis...ds/vis-mmr.pdf

This vaccine, while there are rare reactions as mentioned above, is a life saver. I would never consider NOT giving it to my children.

**EDIT** This is the handout that is given to you by the doctor or nurse at the time the vaccine is given.
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    This is from the Centers for Disease Control regarding MMR

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis...ds/vis-mmr.pdf

This vaccine, while there are rare reactions as mentioned above, is a life saver. I would never consider NOT giving it to my children.

**EDIT** This is the handout that is given to you by the doctor or nurse at the time the vaccine is given.
    Thanks for the link.

I am willing to take the risk of helping my daughter stay away from deadly diseases, even though I am sceptical about it.

About the "National Injury compensation programme" mentioned in the handout will not apply to me even if my daughter has an adverse reaction to the vaccine, because that will be applicable in the US only.
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Personally I think not getting the vaccine is like not feeding your child because you are worried about food poisoning.

OK maybe a bit hyperbolic there but it is the same risk vs benefits equation and I think the pro- vaccine is winning
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by templelane
    Personally I think not getting the vaccine is like not feeding your child because you are worried about food poisoning.

OK maybe a bit hyperbolic there but it is the same risk vs benifits equation and I think the pro- vaccine is winning

:)I am pro-vaccine... well almost,
    Just MMR worries me a little.

You guys don't worry too much about me, I am sure I will get my daughter vaccinated(being mandatory has a little to do with it),but just needed confirmation that MMR has been tested and proven to help more than harm.
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 10:39 AM
    You worry because you are a good mum, but don't stress too much.
    My dad always says to me, 'don't worry about things you cannot effect.'
    Good advice, I wish it was as easy to do as to say!
    Expert

Sep 29, 2007, 10:47 AM
    All 4 of my children have been vaccinated and I would do it again in a second. The use of these vaccines here in the US has virtually wiped out the diseases associated with the vaccine.

It is the children who are NOT vaccinated who are susceptible. If we require this vaccination world wide, we can consider these diseases a thing of the past.

The risks of the vaccine themselves are much lower than the risks associated with the actual diseases. Just one of the risks of the diseases are infertility... I would not want that for my children if I have the opportunity to prevent it.

FB, are you actually familiar with the diseases themselves?
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 10:50 AM
    I'm for vaccinating against diseases.
    However, I feel they could clean up the shots a little bit to make them safer (just my opinion).

Thankfully, my two children have been vaccinated with no problems so far, this includes the MMR.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 29, 2007, 11:18 AM
    I too had the mumps and various kinds of measles before MMR was available. I missed a lot of school and was quite sick at times (but nothing unusual). Both of my children got the full quota of innoculations and boosters when they were babies and before they started school. Neither of them ever had any problems.
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 11:23 AM
    All 4 of my children have been vaccinated and I would do it again in a second. The use of these vaccines here in the US has virtually wiped out the diseases associated with the vaccine.

It is the children who are NOT vaccinated who are susceptible. If we require this vaccination world wide, we can consider these diseases a thing of the past.

The risks of the vaccine themselves are much lower than the risks associated with the actual diseases. Just one of the risks of the diseases are infertility.....I would not want that for my children if I have the opportunity to prevent it.

FB, are you actually familiar with the diseases themselves?
    Yes I have read of the diseases,never seen it in real though.

But this about infertility,I haven read that.
    Is that high risk? Someone did tell me the opposite though, that MMR could cause infertility (not a reliable source, so I am not relying on that information)

As I said mine has been vaccinated in measles too, only Mumps and Rubella is left(MMR).
    Just have to get them.
    Expert

Sep 29, 2007, 11:32 AM
    Giggle... MMR stands for Measles, Mumps and Rubella. Hence the M... M... R

If the vaccine caused sterility, then half of our country would be sterile.

I would have posted the s/sx of measles, but would take up too much space and not many would read it, so I will provide a link to the Mayo Clinic

Measles - MayoClinic.com

Here is one for the Mumps... this one is one that can easily cause sterility in male children

Mumps - MayoClinic.com

And Rubella

Rubella - MayoClinic.com

All 3 of these diseases are particularly dangerous to the pregnant woman and her unborn child if exposed. If she is exposed during pregnancy there is no treatment for her or her unborn child and can lead to VERY serious complication.
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 12:58 PM
    Giggle..... MMR stands for Measles, Mumps and Rubella. Hence the M....M...R
    If the vaccine caused sterility, then half of our country would be sterile.

I would have posted the s/sx of measles, but would take up too much space and not many would read it, so I will provide a link to the Mayo Clinic

Measles - MayoClinic.com

Here is one for the Mumps.....this one is one that can easily cause sterility in male children

Mumps - MayoClinic.com

And Rubella

Rubella - MayoClinic.com

All 3 of these diseases are particularly dangerous to the pregnant woman and her unborn child if exposed. If she is exposed during pregnancy there is no treatment for her or her unborn child and can lead to VERY serious complication.
    Thanks J,
    Will look into the links.

About measles, as I said we already have a separate vaccine in the mandatory vaccines for infants,hence mine has had that measles vaccine.

:) Yeah I know MMR stands for that!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MMR & Chicken pox vaccination during pregnancy [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all I am an unlucky lady who unknowingly got both MMR & Chicken pox vaccination on June 15th 2007 and now I am 5 weeks pregnant. I am scared to death, what will happen to my baby. Do I have to terminate? Please let me know if anybody went through this situation. I got pregnant after 7...

Mmr vaccine [ 2 Answers ]

I am 24 and have just had the mmr vaccine, is it normal to have massively swollen glands in the throatand aches and pains?

View more questions Search