Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kmcvay Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2005, 05:02 PM
    Outlook Express 6+ pop3.log
    OE 6 Help explains how to create a pop3.log by going to
    TOOLS->OPTIOSN->MAINTENANCE and ticking MAIL under troubleshooting.

On my system, this does not work. I am the Administrator, running an auto-updated XP Home Edition.

The outbound mail doesn't seem to be getting anywhere, and I need the log to find out why. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Oct 10, 2005, 01:39 AM
    Pop doesn't send mail normally, find out the SMTP server for your ISP and put this in, mostly people can only use their own SMTP server for outgoing emails.

If you can't find this, post who your ISP is and we'll try to find it for you!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2005, 06:14 AM
    Email
    Hi,
    You said "outbound mail doesn't seem to be getting anywhere"; does this mean you can't send email anywhere?
    If so, then you need to call your ISP Help Desk, or whoever you use for your email.
    Your ISP's mail server could be having problems sending mail, or your Outlook Express 6 configurations might have to be changed in your computer. Your HelpDesk or Support for your ISP is your best bet at finding a solution.
    Sometimes, a TechSupport person will have you sit at your computer, going through all your Outlook Express and TCP/IP settings, taking a long time, while they, at the same time, are trying to fix the email server! Some will never tell you "it's our fault"...
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 10, 2005, 07:03 AM
    I used Outlook, but not Outlook Express at work, as this was the normal mailing app there. At home, I never bothered with Outlook and am quite happy with Yahoo. I have a friend who uses Outlook at home, and he receives my Yahoo mail, so if all else fails, try another way of emailing. I'll check his configuration when I see him again to see what the problem you have might be. Good Luck.

Oct 11, 2005, 10:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    You said "outbound mail doesn't seem to be getting anywhere"; does this mean you can't send email anywhere?
    If so, then you need to call your ISP Help Desk, or whoever you use for your email.
    Your ISP's mail server could be having problems sending mail, or your Outlook Express 6 configurations might have to be changed in your computer. Your HelpDesk or Support for your ISP is your best bet at finding a solution.
    Sometimes, a TechSupport person will have you sit at your computer, going thru all your Outlook Express and TCP/IP settings, taking a long time, while they, at the same time, are trying to fix the email server! Some will never tell you "it's our fault".....
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    Mail sent through OE to my ISP simply disappears into a black hole. If I change my outbound to smtp.spamarrest.com (where I have an account), the mail gets out.

The ISP ended a 3-month strike today, and I suspect the problem is simply that their smtp servers are broken; my success with spamarrest.com's smtp engine would seem to confirm this.

(When they get too pushy about OE, I just tell them it isn't working on the FreeBSD box, either, and that usually ends the patronization routine.)

I still need to find out why I cannot create an OE pop3.log... the setup is a no-brainer, but the log simply isn't created.

Oct 11, 2005, 10:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by StuMegu
    Pop doesn't send mail normally, find out the SMTP server for your ISP and put this in, mostly people can only use their own SMTP server for outgoing emails.
    I know who my ISP is, and I know the names of their smtp servers. The problem isn't the system configuration, which has worked properly and reliably for more than a year on both a Windoze XPHE box and a FreeBSD box. The problem is that the mail, which the mailers show as SENT, simply disappears.

I now believe that the problem is with the ISP's smtp servers, and have confirmed this by using an alternative with success.
    roofing philadelphia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2005, 12:07 AM
    You might go looking for repair outlook express and repair outlook express. I have been using it without problem since it came out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to configure free pop3 and smtp in outlook express through yahoo.com [ 4 Answers ]

Hi guys, Please help me out how to configure the outlook express (free pop3 and smtp) through yahoo.com Regards vijay :confused:

Outlook Express for XP/How to set something [ 4 Answers ]

How do you set outlook so that when you highlight and e-mail it doesn't automatically open an attachment, for security purposes?

Outlook express [ 13 Answers ]

hi pals i have installed the outlook express now it asks me the incomming server and outgoing server if i want to access my yahoo or gmail mails then what is my pop server and smtp server?? :confused:

Outlook express [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a new computer{XP} and gave my daughter the old {98}. I set up a router so that she can get the web and to share other programs. I have no problems moving programs to mine from hers except OutLook Express 6, I would love to have mu old e-mail addys and saved e-mails. What am I doing wrong...

Outlook Express 6.0 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I just downloaded Outlook express 6.0--When I try to sign in, it asked for my password which I must have had in Outlook Express 5--but I can't remember it--How do I find out what my pasword is--can't find anything on OE about doing this--Thank u very much

View more questions Search