Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jaesun-Yoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2007, 05:25 PM
    OPT social security taxes
    Dear Experts!

I guess this is one of the streotype questions that arise over and over again,
    But I can not find an answer. Please help me.

I came to US as a F-1 student in July, 2002, and finished my degree in Aug, 2007.
    Now I am working, but still in F-1 status with OPT, starting Sep, 2007 until Sep, 2008.

I heard that people on OPT do not pay for social security and medicare taxes, but
    I stayed for five years. So my question is
    *) do I need to pay social security and medicare taxes?
    *) if so, what benefit is there for being on OPT?

I chose OPT instead of H1B, because of tax exemption. Now I am confused.

Thanks a lot!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 29, 2007, 09:01 AM
    Yes, you DO need to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes.

The five-year exemption for F-1 students expired for you on 31 December 2006.

Because of this fact, there are NO advantages to being OPT. You will have to file a normal tax return as a resident alien for 2007.
    Jaesun-Yoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2007, 10:47 AM
    Thanks for answering my question!

But I am still confused. It looks like Social Security and Medicare taxes
    Are matter of whether I am non-resident or resident alien for tax
    Purposes, i.e. it has nothing to do with OPT or H1B.
    Then why do people choose for OPT instead of H1B?
    I mean if I had stayed for less than 5 years, I would have obtained H1B
    And yet would have not had to pay those taxes.

Is it just because H1B is harder to get than OPT?

Thanks a lot!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 1, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Persons on OPT are on an F-1 visa, and if the person has NOT been in the U.S. for over five years, that person is EXEMPT from Social Security and Medicare taxes while on OPT.

However, the exemption is only good for five years.

Persons on H-1B are under WORK visas, and therefore subject to Social Security and Medicare taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confusion about social security/medicare taxes on OPT [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All, First of all thanks a lot for reading this post. Now, my question: I just finished my PhD after 6 years of work and have started working for a firm on the OPT status. I lost my NR status after 5 years as an F-1 student and filed as a resident for tax purposes (If somebody thinks that I...

Social security and medicare on OPT [ 3 Answers ]

I know this question has been asked a lot of times. I read a lot of the other threads too. My case is that I was on OPT from Aug 06 to Oct06. Then H-1B. My employer deducted SSN and medicare for the time I was on OPT as well. The employer claims that they could have refunded me last year but...

OPT to H1B (no social security taxes) [ 3 Answers ]

hi, thanks in advance for taking time to read this question. here's my scenario: country: india went to india from nov22-dec25 period 1. jan 2006-sep 30 2006 = opt , f1 visa

Social Security Taxes - OPT - H1 [ 1 Answers ]

I am Indian Student on F1-OPT till December 18,2006 while my H1 starts on Oct 1,2006. I am not paying any social security taxes. The question I have is do I need to start paying the social security taxes from oct 1 onward or can I continue till Dec 18,2006 without paying social security and after...

Pub of F1 opt Social Security taxes & medicare deduction [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, Currently, I work for a company in my OPT. But somehow I know my employee should not deduct my Social Security taxes & medicare taxes, the problem is that I just can't figure out which publication and where of the IRS noticed that. I checked the former thread that the tax expert mentioned...

View more questions Search