Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robinjhuff5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Sep 28, 2007, 12:58 PM
    Name change
    I just got a dog named Mavis and I don't like that name.. Mavis is about a year old.. Can I change it to something else? Will Mavis catch on to the new name I change it to?
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Sep 28, 2007, 01:03 PM
    I think so. They learn their names just like commands... just reinforce it in a positive way as often as possible till you notice it catching on.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 03:26 PM
    Thank you for choosing to adopt a dog. Most people who adopt change the name of the dog. When you choose a name, every time you interact with her, say the name. For example, if you give her the command to sit, say "(New name) sit." When she does what you have asked her to do, say "Good girl (New name)." Just always insert the name you choose into whatever you are doing with her. If you continue to repeat it in this manner, she will eventually respond to it.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 08:06 PM
    Occasionally the people getting a dog guide at a year and a half change its name. An example of that is the German Shepherd my daughter raised a couple of years ago. They had named him Augen, the German word for eyes. The lady he was given to came to school with a new name picked out before he was assigned to her. Just be sure and preface every command with the name you choose. Mavis? Yes, change it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Name change [ 2 Answers ]

My son was adopted by his step dad after my divorce in 1991, we have since been reunited and he wants my last name. How do we get this done. Is there a certain government agency we need to go to?

How do I change my last name [ 1 Answers ]

I want to change my last name to my fathers last name, but what do I do.:(

Name Change? First Name [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to change my first name. I can't find anything in Tennessee law about changing your first name. It is stated as name. I assume it is the same as both. I really don't want to change my name but the spelling of my first name. As I said I live in Tennessee. Can anyone point me in the right...

View more questions Search