Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eljay1103 Posts: 146, Reputation: 5

Sep 28, 2007, 12:05 PM
    Atm fraud
    Can anyone give me any advise on how to find out what atm some one used my bank card o... I called the bank but they only gave me a street... SINCE EVERY ATM HAS A CAMERA I WANT TO SEE WHO USED IT... just in case its an emplyoee where I lost the card
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 12:08 PM
    Have you reported it to the police? They have the power to obtain that kind of information.

How could they have used your card without your PIN?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 28, 2007, 12:45 PM
    First, each ATM is numbered and the number of the unit should appear on the transaction. However, what makes you think you can see it? Why would you think the bank would let you review the tapes?

What you need to do is, as emland said, report the incident to the police. You should have reported the loss of the card. The police can then obtain the pictures, which are tied to transaction times.

But emland raises a good question, having the card isn't enough without the PIN.

Sep 28, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Well they got my pin by probably calling the bank whoever it is has my ssc and my license for all the verification they need... and I think that they would let me see the tapes if I had a police report? Why wouldn't they let me see?
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 05:36 PM
    Does the bank know your card was stolen? Take a copy of your police report about your lost wallet to the bank and let them know about this immediately.

Did you make all the other phone calls?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 28, 2007, 07:41 PM
    If you live in a town of 5000 maybe they will let you see the tape after the bank president gets back from the feed store.
    But of course not, they will turn the tapes over to the police, and the police may ask you to see if you can id the person on the film, get with your police dept on this. And they can tell you exactly what ATM was used, the exact time and so on.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 04:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by eljay1103
    well they got my pin by probably calling the bank whoever it is has my ssc and my license for all the verification they need....and i think that they would let me see the tapes if I had a police report?? why wouldnt they let me see??

I find it very difficult to believe that a bank will give out that kind of information over the telephone. There is no way to positively identify anyone over the phone.

To see those tapes you are going to need a subpoena.

Sep 29, 2007, 05:03 AM
    First, no bank will give out your PIN. At the most, if you can prove to them you are you, they will reset it and send you a new one. To prove it you will have to provide the answer to your "secret" question, usually mother's maiden name or similar. And that is unlikely to have been in your wallet.

And no, they will not let you see those tapes, no way, no how. At the most, they might key up the tape that matches the time of the transaction and print out that picture, then show it to you in an array.

The bottomline here, is the police are the ones who investigate these things. Not private citizens. So you file a police report and let them do their job.

Sep 30, 2007, 09:21 PM
    Well scott gem you seem to know your stuff so can you tell me how they got into my savings account and took out $300?? Last I knew you needed a pin and it isn't something someone can just guess by looking at my license or my ssc card... I'm sure the bank just reset the password... I don't have a "secret code"... A while ago I went to the bank and it had been a while since I had gone into my account so I forgot the PIN, I didn't have my license... so I gave them ss number and address and it was that simple... (lets not forget this person now has all this info)
    Another thing it wasn't a bank where this person withdrew the money it was a "foreign atm" I don't know what that is but the only thing the bank did was give me the street name the atm was on no time anything... Big help!! They said that's all the info they had on the transaction...
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2007, 10:02 PM
    Have you reported it? I didn't notice an answer to this.

The bank would give the tape to the cops if you filed a police report, they would eventually find the guy and prosecute themselves. Why are you so interested in knowing who? Are you planning on confronting him yourself?

Report it to the police and the bank, they will most likely put the funds back in your account and prosecute. Leave it there and move on.

Oct 1, 2007, 06:23 AM
    A "foreign atm" means one not owned by the bank. There are ATMs in convenience stores and other places that they may have gone to. That's why the bank doesn't have an exact location. The police will have to find the owner of that ATM to check the tapes.

So when did you go to the police? What did they tell you?

Oct 1, 2007, 09:27 PM
    Well.. I did report this to the bank and they gave me a refund on the money... I wanted to see the tapes b.c I wanted to know if it was someone at the place I lost it... Like if maybe I left it at the cashier and the girl just kept the wallet.. something like that not so much confronting the person but you know I look at it like this I'm just so angry the person that found my walet could have just took the 100 bucks I had in there and a 200 hundred dollar gift card and return the wallet and I would have been fine.. but then I find out that that wasn't enough and they started going into my account? c'mon now that's just too far... I just want to know if it was someone that works at the store maybe I could get them fired... Now I have to run around like a chicken with its head cutt off b.c I know what else they've tried to do since they have all my identity... I haven't gone to the police b.c I was giving it like a few days for this person to return the wallet but now I Have no choice... Tomorrow (today for sure)

Oct 2, 2007, 05:26 AM
    I can understand giving it 24 hours to try and avoid the hassle of cancelling and replacing all your cards. But no more than that.

I understand your ire, but this is NOT your place. There is no way in the world, an ATM operator is going to let a private citizen look at their tapes. I haven't a clue where you got that idea they might.

The longer you waited to report it to the police, the harder it will be for them to catch the crook. So, by not reporting, you gave the perp a better chance of getting away with it.
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Oct 2, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Hello elj

The very first thing I would have done was to file a police report and notify my bank when I noticed my money was missing. Now with that being said, I am sure the bank has issued you a new card and PIN so let the police handle it and hope they get the thug!

Oct 2, 2007, 06:14 PM
    Thanks... Scott Gem!! I don't just think I can go in ask to see the tapes just like that I thought I would need a police report and then do it... You make me sound like an idiot.. you already put it in every comment that I don't have the "authority" to see the tapes just because I want to. I was just telling everyone WHY I wanted to see the tapes..
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2007, 06:49 PM
    There are lots of ways to get PINs especially if it's a debit/credit card and you use it as a debit card. That just exposes the PIN. A secret PIN isn't a pin. It has to have no resembalence to a known quantity. It can't be the 4 corners of a keypad or the same number 4 tmes. I've guessed copier PIN's and suitcase combinations on the first try by using other public info.

The cops protect perpetrators as well, for a harassing call you can report the number to the phone company, but you cannot find out who it is. Caller ID is not sufficient because it's spoofable. ANI is not, which means you can't hide your number from the owner of an (800) number.

I've been spoofed for legitimate reasons. I get a call from a doctor's phone in hos office. Caller ID lists an entirely different number. When you call that number, you get a message that the number is not in service.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Atm envelopes [ 2 Answers ]

How long should a bank retain atm envelopes for?

ATM withdrawals [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone confirm this. I don't believe it, but it has been making the rounds of the internet. We have all heard about people being forced to take money out of their ATM, by force from a robber. Supposedly, if you enter your PIN in reverse (4321 as opposed to the correct number of 1234), the...

Could this be fraud? [ 1 Answers ]

My best friend married a woman from Ghana in November of 2002. After getting married in the state of Florida the couple purchased a home in NC. The husband sent for her 3 kids in Ghana and they all lived as one happy family until two months ago when he returned home from work to find his wife, the...

Atm switches in mobile telecommunication. [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know Asynchronous Transfer Module woks in mobile application?

View more questions Search