Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hawaiivolleyball Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2007, 12:55 AM
    Voltage tester gives false positive reads when line is not hot
    Pro did my rough in. I'm installing outlets, switches, etc Using $20 no contact voltage tester - with plastic tip that beeps/lights when line is hot. I get beep/light even if line is absolutely, definitely dead?

For example: 12/3 wire direct from panel to switch box Nothing between panel and box. Red hot. Black hot. I put each on separate breakers, i.e. 2 separate branches. I flip red line on/Black off. Tester beeps for both red and black. In fact, black line feeds push pin hub with 3 pigtails to 3 light switches. All test hot. Hook up 3 lights. Red on / black off. RETEST. Red still beeps hot. Black now dead. And no lights. I flip black on. Yes, tester shows hot at black lead ends. Why the false positive hot when I know there's no current? Have tried separating black and red wires when testing. Is tester reading current from red which is on, even though black is off?

Some lines already rocked in. These false hots makes it difficult to diagnose electrician's rough in wiring at times.

Am I missing something?
    pelle Posts: 96, Reputation: 0

Sep 28, 2007, 12:32 PM
    Those testers pick up the field of electricity around the wires if the black and red are still incased in the cover or even if they are separate but close to each other it will light and buzz when one is hot.. if both breakers are off you should get no light.. Those testers are good for certain applications.. I use it to verify power is there for troubleshooting I never use it to verify a circuit is dead.. buy a tester with 2 leads that goes hot to ground and verify wires like that..
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 07:53 PM
    It's your tester, Inductively picked up. Don't wory about sheetrock being up. Just put in recepticles, plug in lamp. Will be OK. Easy and cheap tester is rubber bulb sockets with 2 leads, maybe get 2, tie the white of both to neutral, and black for one bulb, and red for other bulb, turn on each breaker, and verify operation.
    Actually the test results did show both breakers were good, when either was turned on, it beeped/lit.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Mine is adjustable. Turn it up too high, and I get false positives. Fiddle around with it on known wires first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

False Positive Pregnancy Test [ 7 Answers ]

I was wanting some sympathy I went to the doctor last Thursdayto have some blood work done since I had not started my period. They took a urine pregnancy test & there WAS a really faint line - which suggested that I was pregnant. I was SOOOOO excited! I was really surprised because I didn't really...

False positive on urine test [ 3 Answers ]

I am a type 2 diabetic I take and I take 1000 mg twice daily of Metformin, Actos 30 Mg daily and 32 units daily of lantus. My problem is I`m looking for a new job and the pre employment urine test keeps coming back positive for alcohol. I do drink alcolic beverages at all. Can anyone explain what's...

Sudden voltage drop in an electrical line? [ 3 Answers ]

I removed a fluorescent light and replaced it with a ceiling fan/light combo a little over a month ago. It was working fine until two days ago. I turned the switch, the lights flickered and then the whole thing went dead. When I use a circuit tester the test light is lit, but it looks dim...

False positive on a drug test! [ 4 Answers ]

So my boyfriend is on probation and he failed his last drug test due to a poppy seed muffin... Now they are making him call in every day to see if he has to come in and take another one. His probation officer told him he is going to be on it until August 31, which is a major problem. It's a...

Line Voltage Flexible Trach Kit [ 3 Answers ]

I installed the track as instructed. I attached a couple of the fixtures, but they would not light. I do have electricity around the track, checking with a voltage detector, but the lights do not light. What could the problem be? Thank you.

View more questions Search