Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Saby1103 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2005, 01:39 PM
    Help
    Hi ,My little girl is so out of control when I put her to sleep she never wants to sleep. What can I do to put her to sleep?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2005, 03:48 AM
    Sleep
    Hi,
    Do you have a Pediatrician? He/she can give you some very good advice on this.
    How old is the child?
    There could be more issues involved that just simply not wanting to go to sleep... could be a medical issue of some type. or not.
    See your Pediatrician.
    Normally, unless there are some type of body functions, medically, that are involved, just put the child in bed, close the door, let it yell for awhile, and it will go to sleep... IF nothing else is wrong.
    The above is for those children that just simply don't want to go to sleep without having mommy or daddy with them; and have been taught that they don't have to go to sleep without mommy around.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2005, 02:38 PM
    First of all, how old is the child in question? Do you have her on a regular schedule ; bed at a certain hour, wake-up at a certain hour, nap(s) at a certain hour? If not, then establish one and stick with it. It may take a week or two for all involved to adjust, but this should alleviate a lot of irregularities in her sleep patterns. If it doesn't, then you may need to consult with a pediatrician regarding possible evaluation for sleep disorders or other conditions that may affect her sleep patterns. Is she old enough to talk? If so, has she expressed any fears or concerns that you could possible alleviate (such as monsters in the closet, etc.)? Has she made any requests that you could reasonably accommodate (e.g. sleep with light or TV on, etc.)? If she hasn't, you might want to try something on your own, like putting a CD player in her room and when it's bedtime, play some of her favorite music at a low volume, then turn it off after she's fallen asleep. If she's too young to have a favorite CD, then select one that sounds soothing to young children. Better yet, experiment with a few and see which one(s) produce the best results. Also talk to some other young mothers that you know. See if any of them have or had similar problems and what they did about it.
    lavaya23 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2005, 11:38 AM
    Putting a child to bed
    My son is now 6 years old, and once in awhile we still have problems getting him into bed. But I will share with you what I have found works better for him. In our crazy busy life, we barely get to spend time together just him and I... I found that if I schedule time with him at bedtime and pick a routine he goes to sleep A lot easier... for example, when it is time for bed, he has a snack, a drink, jammies, then he brushes his teeth. When he is done he picks a story or we choose one together and we read sometimes for 10 minutes sometimes for 20. My rule is I will read up to half an hour if he lays quietly, if not as soon as he starts fooling around I stop. We say prayers (you might not be a religious person, but I have found that even children who don't know God, respond well to the prayers before bed.) maybe sing a song and then I bless him, kiss him good-night, turn on a cd and shut out the light. When I stick to this routine, it takes maybe 20 minutes and he is out like a light without screaming and crying or jumping out of bed. When I don't it can take us up to three hours to get him to finally close his eyes and go to sleep.
    I believe it has to do with the fact that he needs my full, undivided attention right before he goes to sleep to enforce that I love him, and that he has priority in my life. I am not a perfect mother and sometimes when I come home from work, it is all I can do to put supper on the table and keep my eyes open long enough to eat it. I am a single parent so the household bills, chores and the raising of my son rests solely on my shoulders, but I am coming to realize that if I stick to this routine with him, it is less of a headache for me, and less stressful for him. He knows that I love him and falls into a peaceful fitfull sleep he otherwise doesn't get.
    For yourself try establishing some sort of routine as your putting your baby to sleep... be it sing a song, read a book, or maybe even tell a few jokes... play with it and find what works for your baby... I guarantee that this will help, it might not solve it completely but it will help. As for the blessing your child, even if you are not religious this is something very good to do for your child... for example lay your hand on his/her head and say, "bless you baby(insert name) I'm so thankful everyday that you're my baby. I hope that I can be a great parent and be there for you when you need me. May you be kept safe when we are not together, and when we apart know that I love you, and am thinking of YOU always... I love you, forever!!" say good night and then go about your own thing, if your child gets up try to figure out why, if it's reasonalbe, incorporate it into the bedtime ritual... bathroom etc. allow them to go but do not let them linger put them straight back to bed say "good night, I love you" and continue going on about your business. Pretty soon your child will understand that you are serious about them going to bed, and if you stick with the nightly routine, they will have less and less reasons to get up. They will know they are loved and that should ease their mind enough to sleep!
    I hope this helps you even a little bit. Let me know...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search