Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kevin Jackson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2007, 07:39 PM
    Mechanical Engineering
    What are the duties of engineers in general in today's society?
    bignaked101 Posts: 151, Reputation: 6
    -

Sep 27, 2007, 09:24 PM
    Could you be a little more specific? I mean, the list goes on here...

Engineers can do anything as to engineering a jet airplane, to making a small RC race car..

The creation of anything mechanical would be mechanical engineering. So that would be the duties, creating anything mechanical.
    bignaked101 Posts: 151, Reputation: 6
    -

Sep 27, 2007, 09:27 PM
    My apologies, the last one was just a guess, but it stumped me, so I looked up the definition.

The branch of engineering that encompasses the generation and application of heat and mechanical power and the design, production, and use of machines and tools.

That is pretty much their duties
    Nutter butter Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Sep 27, 2007, 11:17 PM
    I work with some. Its really tough work. You have to read pressure gages, oh and record what you found. Other than that they rebuild motors and pumps.
    enigmagnetic Posts: 333, Reputation: 45

Oct 13, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bignaked101
    My apologies, the last one was just a guess, but it stumped me, so i looked up the definition.

The branch of engineering that encompasses the generation and application of heat and mechanical power and the design, production, and use of machines and tools.

That is pretty much their duties

That it's pretty much it dude. A mechanical engineer builds whatever they ask him to while incorporating the use of energy and heat as your power. This is anything from a bridge to helicopter rotors.
    msk Posts: 59, Reputation: 3

Feb 9, 2008, 06:05 AM
    The question is very simple but the answer may be too long and may be many answers. First of all what do you mean by duties in society (do you mean as a professional). Broadly talking by field criteria a engineer is involved right from design, development, installation, erection, commissioning,maintenance, quality control, sales/marketing, estimation etc. These are applied to almost all branches of engineering whether mechanical, electrical, electronics,chemical, civil and so on. The more you go deeper the more they become advanced. For example in mechanical further comes automobile, hydraulics, thermal, hvac, and so on
    queens Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 12:54 PM
    I have seen those answers for your question before I post this answer. I agree with the friend call msk, so I would like to give you a more specified answer.
    Thermal Dynamics - automobile (majority)
    Heat transfer - HVAC
    Fluid Mechanics - ship building, pump industrial, hydraulic industrial, piping etc
    Fire Fighting - fire fighting
    Mechanics of Solid and Structure (MOSS) - moulding, welding industrial etc
    Engineering Design - Tools engineer (mostly)
    These are NOT every thing, for what you can see in your live which regarding to mechanical, is their work. Mechanical has occur sense the first civilization and no one can escape from it.
    sayed ejaz ahmed naqeeb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 02:48 AM
    kevin the basic duty of an engineer is to work keeping the ethics in mind a engineer is an educationist who not only uses the available resources properly but also has an ethical value

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mechanical Engineering versus Aeronautical Engineering [ 3 Answers ]

I am asking about the relationship between Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering. Is it possible to pursue Aeronautical Engineering postgraduate degree after completing Mechanical Engineering undergraduate degree? How is the demand for Aeronautical Engineering graduates?

Getting around Mechanical Physics, Motion [ 7 Answers ]

This is dedicated to some random dude called 'Capulchin':p You inspire me to become a better Scientist - I'm 16 lololol. Basically, this is thinking about motions logically rather than just punching in numbers into formulas. In the long run, this is more efficient and ensures you never get a...

Odors in mechanical room [ 1 Answers ]

Whenever there is a change in the weather we have the worst odors coming from the furnace room, which consists of: furnace, hot water heater, floor drain, sump pump, water softener. If I don't catch it immediately the odor permeates the whole house (2 floors- bedrooms upstairs with 2 bathrooms,...

View more questions Search