Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trish46 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2007, 07:25 PM
    Sweepstakes or scam
    I got a letter today in the mail from globalvalley inc. a group of publishers sweepstakes
    The letter stated that they are pleased to infor me that I am a winner of $90,000.00 in a sweepstake that was held on September 1, 2007. It listed the claim number and a ticket number. With it I also received a check for $1950.00 from the huntington national bank in westerville, Ohio. But the check was from a Ohio wesleyan co. signed or stamped with the vice presidents name on it. The check looks real with watermarks and security. The letter also stated to claim my prize, there are fees of a calculated amount of $1950.00/ and to contact my representative at the following phone number. An amount representing 10% would be deducted from my cash prize to repay the fees. It says that the drawing was held in atlantic city, New Jersey. And if they don't hear from me within 3 weeks I lose my claim. They said there main office is in north america. But the address on the envelope and the letter was globalvalley inc. 2990 notredame, granby, qc j2g 3l2. How do I find out whether this is a scam or real. I have tried calling the number and it just tells me that all the operators are busy, to leave my name and number and they will get back with me. Thank you to all of you who respond on my question.:confused:
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 27, 2007, 07:29 PM
    Look at the back of the check. Above the place where you would endorse it, is there small print that tells you, once you endorse the check, xxxxx will happen? That's how my son got sucked into something, by endorsing such a check.

It sounds like a scam to me, especially since you haven't entered a contest or had prior knowledge of this sweepstakes.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2007, 07:30 PM
    Call the Better Business Burea in Westerville, and see if this has been reported. If you put this check in your account and they cash it for you and it bounces. Your bank will be looking to you for the money. The company will have already gotten its 10 percent from you. I say it is probably a scam.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 27, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Westerville is near Columbus. Here is info about that bank:

Huntington National Bank, 630 S State St, Westerville, OH 43081
    (614) 480-0016 www.huntington.com
    630 S State St, Westerville, OH 43081
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 27, 2007, 07:45 PM
    The check will turn out to be fake or a fraud, no sweepstakes sends you a couple of thousand and asks you to send it back to them in fees.

A real sweepstakes will first not have fees, but the charges and taxes due will just be withheld from the check.
    Next when did you buy a ticket to this, do you have a copy of the ticket, of course not.

This is one of the biggest scams going today, they send you a check, you deposit it, and then send them the money. And guess what in about 1 month, the check will come back as a fraud or fake. Most likely it may even be on a real account of some real business, but merely faked.

Also be careful of the numbers if it is a overseas number, some go to various islands where you are charged up to 100 for making the connection.
    trish46 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2007, 08:00 PM
    it says nothing above where you endorse it. Just the x and below it just says do not write, stamp or sign below this line. Reserved for financial institution use.
    it has original document all over the back in watermark. On the very bottom it says federal reserve board of governors reg. cc and has the security features on it. I have pulled up the web site globalvalleyinc.com and it shows abunch of sweepstakes you can enter. That is what confuses me. I am going to try and call the number again tomorrow and if it shows to be a scam then I am definitely going to report it.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Hey , Fr-chuck : I think you gave a good answer to her question. There are so many people getting caught on things like this ,and loseing sometimes large sums. F.B.E. Have a good day what's left of it , God Bless
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 27, 2007, 08:20 PM
    So when did you enter that web site before and enter the contest, you did not. This is why the scams work, the checks look real and take weeks to be found out. Next of course they make real looking web sites, I could send you to web sites where people claim to be the real POPE and that the guy in Rome is not the real one. These sites look real also, but that does not make the other people really catholic

You are wanting to be cheated so bad, next real sweepstates, don't only give you three weeks, where did they get your address

Prize and Sweepstakes
    "NCL's National Fraud Information Center/Internet Fraud Watch"
    Congratulations! You've won a car, valuable jewelry, cash, or some other fabulous prize! Is this really
    your lucky day, or is your luck about to take a turn for the worse?
    • Never pay to play. It's illegal for a company to require you to buy something or pay a fee in order
    to win or claim a prize.
    • Buying something doesn't improve your chances of winning. It's illegal for a company to
    even suggest that your chances will be better if you make a purchase.
    • Don't believe that you have to give the company money for taxes on your prize. Taxes will
    be deducted from your winnings or you will pay them directly to the government.
    • Guard your credit card and bank account numbers. No legitimate sweepstakes company will
    ask for this information. Your social security number may be required for tax reporting purposes if
    you have won. Don't provide that information unless you're absolutely sure that you entered the
    contest and that you know the company operating it.
    • Be on guard for imposters. Some con artists use company names that are identical or very similar
    to well-known, legitimate sweepstakes operators. Tell them that you'll get back to them and contact
    the real companies to ask if there is any connection.
    • Be wary of offers to send you an “advance” on your “winnings.” Some con artists use this
    ploy to build trust and get money from your bank. They send you a check for part of your
    “winnings,” instructing you to deposit it and then wire payment to them for taxes, bonding, or some
    other phony purpose. The bank tells you the check has cleared because the normal time has
    passed to be notified that checks have bounced. After you wire the money, the check that you
    deposited finally bounces because it turned out to be an elaborate fake. Now the crooks have your
    payment, and you're left owing your bank the amount that you withdrew.
    • Get the details in writing. Legitimate sweepstakes companies will give you written information
    about how a contest works, including the odds of winning, the value of the prizes, the fact that no
    purchase is necessary, and an explanation that buying does not improve your chances of winning.
    • Don't be fooled by official-looking mail. It's not necessarily legitimate just because the envelope
    is marked “urgent” and the contents look impressive. One clue that you haven't really won is if the
    letter was sent at bulk mail rates. That means that thousands of other people are receiving the same
    thing.
    • Be especially cautious about foreign sweepstakes companies. Many fraudulent sweepstakes
    companies that target U.S. consumers are located in Canada or other countries, which makes it
    much more difficult for law enforcement agencies to pursue them.
    • Remember that con artists lie. It's hard to imagine that there are people who are so cruel that
    they will tell you you've won something when you haven't, but it's true.

All from "NCL's National Fraud Information Center/Internet Fraud Watch" give them a look
    ayl1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2009, 07:30 AM

If you didn't enter it, how could it be that you won?

I received one of these letters before. I stuffed a note into their pre-paid envelope saying: "Deduct any fees from my winnings and forward me the remaining portion."

Never heard from them again.

Source: Sweepstakes Cash
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2009, 11:01 PM
    Very old thread that has been sufficiently answered.

Thread is now CLOSED.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

1099-misc Sweepstakes winnings [ 1 Answers ]

I received a 1099-misc for sweepstakes winnings from out of state. I claimed it on my federal return. My question is, Would this be taxable in Pa. where I live? I'm using Turbo Tax, and there is a box to check if it is not taxable in Pa.

Received a check in the mail for sweepstakes [ 6 Answers ]

We received a check for $2962.00 from APSCO Sports Enterprises drawn on JP Morgan Bank, N.A. in New York. This seems to be real check with watermarks on the back and came with a letter stating we had won $50,000 and this check was to pay the taxes. Is it legal to cash this check? Has anyone...

Received a Check in the Mail for Sweepstakes? [ 6 Answers ]

We just received a $2,900.00 check from First Citizens Bank (cashiers check). I know the Lotto is a scam, but is this check real? It has watermarks and all other security features. Is it legal to cash this check?

View more questions Search