Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    riley1227 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2007, 02:08 PM
    Credit Policy Review
    I am so confused! :eek:

Assume that Hickory Company has the following data related to its accounts receivable:
    2005 2006
    Net sales.. . $1,425,000 $1,650,000
    Net receivables:
    Beginning of year.. . 375,000 333,500
    End of year.. . 420,000 375,000
    Use these data to compute accounts receivable turnover ratios and average collection periods
    For 2005 and 2006. Based on your analysis, is Hickory Company managing its receivables
    Better or worse in 2006 than it did in 2005?

Case 7-3
    Credit Policy Review
    The president, vice president, and sales manager of Moorer Corporation were discussing the
    Company’s present credit policy. The sales manager suggested that potential sales were being
    Lost to competitors because of Moorer Corporation’s tight restrictions on granting credit to consumers.
    He stated that if credit policies were loosened, the current year’s estimated credit sales
    Of $3,000,000 could be increased by at least 20% next year with an increase in uncollectible
    Accounts receivable of only $10,000 over this year’s amount of $37,500. He argued that because
    The company’s cost of sales is only 25% of revenues, the company would certainly come
    Out ahead.
    The vice president, however, suggested that a better alternative to easier credit terms would
    Be to accept consumer credit cards such as VISA or MASTERCARD. She argued that this alternative
    Could increase sales by 40%. The credit card finance charges to Moorer Corporation
    Would be 4% of the additional sales.
    At this point, the president interrupted by saying that he wasn’t at all sure that increasing
    Credit sales of any kind was a good thing. In fact, he suggested that the $37,500 of uncollectible
    Accounts receivable was altogether too high. He wondered whether the company should discontinue
    Offering sales on account.
    With the information given, determine whether Moorer Corporation would be better off
    Under the sales manager’s proposal or the vice president’s proposal. Also, address the president’s
    Suggestion that credit sales of all types be abolished.

Ch 21 Problem 21-5
    JIT Inventory
    The president of Penman Corporation, John Burton, has asked you, the company’s controller,
    To advise him on whether Penman should develop a just-in-time (JIT) inventory system. Your
    Research concludes that there is a high cost associated with inventory storage facilities; that inventories
    Use a large portion of the company’s cash flow; and that because of the nature of the
    Inventory, there is a significant amount of shrinkage. Research also shows that neither of Penman’s
    Two competitors uses a JIT inventory system. Most of Penman’s employees are trained
    To do only one job and belong to a local union. The union is strong and, in the past, has opposed
    Major production changes. The union believes major changes will result in the loss of
    Union employees’ jobs. Your research indicates that Penman’s major production item (a fairly
    New product in the market) should continue to have strong sales growth.
    Required:
    1. Using the information provided, advise John Burton to either continue the present system
    Or work to develop a JIT inventory system.
    2. Assume John decides to develop an inventory management system. He plans to evaluate the
    System after one year. List at least four possible performance measures John could use to
    Evaluate the effectiveness of the system. Describe what information these measures would
    Provide John.
    Sales
    In The Same Boat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2007, 01:51 PM
    JIT Inventory The president of Penman Corporation, John Burton, has asked you, the company's controller, to advise him on whether Penman should develop a just-in-time (JIT) inventory system. Your research concludes that there is a high cost associated with inventory storage facilities; that inventories use a large portion of the company's cash flow; and that because of the nature of the inventory, there is a significant amount of shrinkage. Research also shows that neither of Penman's two competitors uses a JIT inventory system. Most of Penman's employees are trained to do only one job and belong to a local union. The union is strong and, in the past, has opposed major production changes. The union believes major changes will result in the loss of union employees' jobs. Your research indicates that Penman's major production item (a fairly new product in the market) should continue to have strong sales growth.

Required:

1. Using the information provided, advise John Burton to either continue the present system or work to develop a JIT inventory system.

2. Assume John decides to develop an inventory management system. He plans to evaluate the system after one year. List at least four possible performance measures John could use to evaluate the effectiveness of the system. Describe what information these measures would provide John.

RECOMMENDATIONS

John Burton should not continue the present system as the organization is suffering losses due to inefficient inventory management. It should work to develop a JIT inventory system.
    JIT is a philosophy of continuous improvement in which non-value-adding activities (or wastes) are identified and JIT is not about automation. JIT eliminates waste by providing the environment to perfect and simplify the processes. JIT is a collection of techniques used to improve operations. It can also be a new production system that is used to produce goods or services.
    According to Wikipedia, Just in Time (JIT) is an inventory strategy implemented to improve the return on investment of a business by reducing in-process inventory and its associated costs. Companies such a Fleetwood RV's, Toyota and Harley-Davison have seen a tremendous improvement of their products with the implementation of just-in-time inventory programs .The purpose of the JIT method is to reduce cost and time allowing inventory purchased or delivered to spend less time in production or storage. In the peer review, Does Manufacturing Need to Make JIT Delivery Work? The author Seyed-Mahomand Aghazadeh list five steps to transmit JIT:
    1. Awareness Revolution- abolishing old concepts and adopting new one
    2. Concepts for workplace improvement-sorting, orderliness, cleanliness, cleanup
    in addition, discipline
    1. Flow Manufacturing- is production of a single piece of product at given time.
    2. Standard Operations- producing quality safely and less expensively through efficient rules and method of people
    3. Multi-Process Handling- one worker is responsible for several processes in a work cell.
    The main objectives of JIT in purchasing inventory are address in the article Implementing JIT Purchasing: Does the Level of Technical Complexity in the Production Process Make a Difference? Author Hale Kaynak lists three characteristics.
    ➢ Supplier Quality Management-comprised of supplier-buyer cooperation and improved quality of supplied materials.
    ➢ Quantities Delivered-requires frequents and timely delivery of supplied materials in small lots and exact quantities.
    ➢ Transportation-inventory based on delivery dates or times on the buyer's schedule rather than the supplier's schedule.

2. Assume John decides to develop an inventory management system. He plans to evaluate the system after one year. List at least four possible performance measures John could use to evaluate the effectiveness of the system. Describe what information these measures would provide John

INVENTORY TURNOVER RATIO

The best run companies will minimize their investment in inventory. One ratio that is often used to monitor inventory is the Inventory Turnover Ratio. These ratio shows the number of times that a firm's inventory balance was turned ("sold") during a year.
    It is calculated by dividing cost of sales by the average inventory level:
    Inventory Turnover Ratio = Cost of Goods Sold/Average Inventory
    A higher ratio indicates efficient management of inventory. A declining turnover rate might indicate poor management, slow moving goods, or a worsening economy.

Setting level for stock outs and quantity to be ordered
    Specify guidelines for setting the reorder method an other purchasing parameters to maximize inventory turns and minimize stockouts:

1. Minimum/Maximum quantities
    2. Economic order quantities
    3. Order up to a specific stock level
    4. Safety stock quantities
    5. Preseason buys
    Economic Order Quantity is the amount of orders that minimizes total variable costs required to order and hold inventory.

If actual quantity ordered is different than EOQ is an indication of inefficient inventory management.

Target Inventory investment

To calculate your target inventory investment, we use a variation of the formula used to calculate inventory turnover:
    Target Inventory Investment = Projected Annual Cost of Goods Sold from Stock Sales/
    Target Inventory Turnover

Thus if actual inventory investment is less than it indicates that the efficiency in investment.

Holding period of inventory
    It is calculated = 365/Inventory turnover ratio
    If holding period is less than the expected holding period then it indicates efficient inventory management.

Reference:
    Aghazadeh, S. (2004). Does Manufacturing Need to Make JIT Delivery Work? Management Research News, 27(1), 27-42. Retrieved July 29, 2005, from Proquest database.
    Banas, B. (2005, May). How do supplier define quality? Railway Age, 204, Iss 5; pg 12.

Retrieved Jul 31, 2005, from http://proquest.umi.com/pdqweb.

Diekmeyer, P. (2002). Canada's 50 best. National Post, Retrieved Jul 29, 2005, from

ProQuest Login

Gray, A. (2005, June 20). Exploring product life cycle. Fairfield County Business

Journal, 4. Retrieved July 28, 2005, from ProQuest Login.

Kaynak, H. (2005). Implementing JIT Purchasing: Does the Level of Technical Complexity in the Production Process Make a Difference? Journal of Managerial Issues, 17(1), 76-100. Retrieved July 29, 2005, from Proquest database.
    Winmoore (2005). Process and Methodology. Retrieved July 28, 2005 from Proquest Database.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 21, 2009, 07:05 PM

riley --

Receivables turnover = sales/average receivables
    Days in Receivables = 365/turnover

Past that, we are not here to do your work for you. You have 3 problems here -- shows us some attempt on your part to do your own work first.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 21, 2009, 07:12 PM
    In the same boat - first, you should start your own thread for your own problem, even if it's the same one. Gets very confusing having two people's questions in the same thread.

I agree they should attempt to implement JIT. (And they can fire all the union people for all I care.) But that's my opinion, which is irrelevant. What I would like to see is if you can tell me, IN YOUR OWN WORDS, what JIT means - not a definition, but what it really means and what it involves.

I see two things: one, that it doesn't sound like you talking but rather that you are plagarizing. In other words, you're sounding like a textbook, and I'm having my doubts reading this whether you're just copying stuff or if you actually understand it.

Second, there's some major disorganization with your work. I got lost about the middle of the 5 steps -- there aren't five and there's some sentences that look cut off, and something just appears weird to me. You might want to look that over and make sure it's how you meant to copy it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Homework on Credit Policy Decisions [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I'm at a real lose on this one: I've tried to get my arms wrapped around it but can't seem to do it. Homework is due tonight (I'm not planning on being an accountant.. God bless you that are.:) ). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here's the info and questions: (more...

Product comparison/review [ 5 Answers ]

I tried to search around but does not seem to find any place that talk about this. Hope this is the appropriate forum. Being tech/net savvy, I often do a search (google) on just about anything that I want to buy. So as I'm looking into some electrical plugs and receptacles, I came across...

Article review [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone tell me how to write an article review in apa style?

View more questions Search