Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bushy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2004, 10:31 PM
    Hard drive crashes fatal exception OD
    I had a 40Gb.drive added in Jan.to my 8 GB.I'm on Windows 98se amdK6 WITH 192 MG sdram.When I ty to open it fom My Computer desktop icon it instantly freezes after showing all the folders etc.then it gives a message fatal exception OD OO28:CoooB28C ib XD Vmm etc.
    It worked fine for 3 months but now ----!?
    Anyone help - can't find an answer.thanks,Bushy.

psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

May 5, 2004, 04:30 PM
    Re: hard drive crashes fatal exception OD
    I had a 40Gb.drive added in Jan.to my 8 GB.I'm on Windows 98se amdK6 WITH 192 MG sdram.When I ty to open it fom My Computer desktop icon it instantly freezes after showing all the folders etc.then it gives a message fatal exception OD OO28:CoooB28C ib XD Vmm etc.
    It worked fine for 3 months but now ----!?
    Anyone help - can't find an answer.thanks,Bushy.
    Try accessing the partition from a bootdisk.

jpChris Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2004, 08:46 AM
    Hard drive crashes fatal exception OD
    Hi bushy,

Go to the Microsoft web site and search for the error message. Should give you a fix, also.
    Gkhster Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2004, 12:05 AM
    Re: hard drive crashes fatal exception OD
    I had a very similar problem just as one of my hard disks was beginning to fail. This is only one of many possibillities, but perhaps now would be a good occasion to back up that drive!

My reading of USENET groups on this subject points to the following possibilites:

- Overheating
    - Impending Hard disk failure
    - Bad hardware, especially memory
    - old video drivers
    - Corrupted windows files.

Do any of these conditions correlate with other symptoms?

It would be helpful to know:

- the contents of your c:\bootlog.txt or c:\bootlog.prv (if those files exist)
    - The complete error message, especially if it says something like "... This was called from ... in VxD ?????" (The ?'s referring to another vxd that is causing difficulty.)
    - Are there any other error messages or symptoms?
    - The manufacturer and model of your 40gig drive. (Some manufactures offer free software to read the self-diagnostic information of the drive)

Let us know how it goes.

Guy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

2nd hard drive... [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there guys... I have 2 hard drives, I'm in the net so I know my PC can never be safe, I want to know how can I secure my 2nd drive from spy and viruses, so that if ever a virus gets in they only infect my primary drive... is there any free software for this, I want to prevent virus from...

Used hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I put a used hard drive in my computer,and tried to install windows 98 it keeps saying that the drive is dirty and it needs cleaning,How do I do that?

Fatal exception od at 281f and 16ff [ 4 Answers ]

I am using win 98se .Recently I get crashes while I am in the internet and try to open a new page. IE 6 stops responding. When I use alt+ ctrl+delete I get the message that IE does not respond.I click end of that job and get the message: Fatal exception OD at 281F:014F6B97. I push a button and get...

View more questions Search