Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shakis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2007, 12:15 AM
    2 nic on 1 PC
    Hello!I have a big problem at work.I have a PC with windows xp that has two nics.one is connected to a router which is giving access to the Internet.the other nic is connected to a vpn.on the first nic I have the gateway 192.168.9.1 from my locar router.on the other nic I have the configuration ip 192.168.228.194 sm 255.255.255.224 gateway 192.168.228.193.both nics are working.the problem is it's not working with both nics in the same time.I have to remove the cable from one card to make the second work.or remove the gateway from one card.the idea is the nic's don't work in the same time.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Sep 30, 2007, 05:43 AM
    I believe your computer is working EXACTLY as it is supposed to but not as you WANT it to work. The "gateway" isn't just any gateway... it is a "default gateway" which is where all packets go to when your computer doesn't know where the destination IP is located. The "gateway" you choose depends on which one has a lower metric. Do this under a command prompt:

netstat -rn

You'll see that you have two lines that look like this:

Code:
    Network Destination     Netmask       Gateway          Interface        Metric
              0.0.0.0       0.0.0.0       192.168.9.1      192.168.9.x       20
              0.0.0.0       0.0.0.0       192.168.228.193  192.168.228.194   20
    The metric column with the lowest value is used first as your default gateway. If both numbers are the same then the first one in the list is what's used.

What behavior were you expecting or want to happen?
    shakis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2007, 11:57 PM
    You are right, I receve something like this!But I want to make the PC understand when to go to one gateway and when to go to another.I made some .bat scripts that look like this
    Route delete 0.0.0.0
    Route add 0.0.0.0 192.168.9.1 for the first network and
    Route delete 0.0.0.0
    Route add 0.0.0.0 192.168.228.193 for de second but is still not working, maybe there are not configured well
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2007, 01:15 AM
    I am not sure how to do it but I think you want a program that

Switches from one network to the other by tapping a certain key

I have a KVM switch that uses the scroll lock key to switch the

Mouse-keyboard-monitor from one computer to the other

Think of it as a right brain -- left brain thingey so

I can work on one computer while the other preforms brain surgery

If one breaks down, I still have a backup to help repair it

One keyboard-monitor -moouse controls 2 computers
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Oct 2, 2007, 04:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shakis
    You are right, I receve something like this!But I want to make the PC understand when to go to one gateway and when to go to another.I made some .bat scripts that look like this
    route delete 0.0.0.0
    route add 0.0.0.0 192.168.9.1 for the first network and
    route delete 0.0.0.0
    route add 0.0.0.0 192.168.228.193 for de second but is still not working, maybe there are not configured well
    What you need to do is decide which default route to remove. Then decide what specific routes you want to add favor of the default route you just removed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pxe nic [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I want to boot my client from network ,for this I should activate PXE NIC, Can anyone tell me how can I activate PEX in my system? Should I do this from Bios?

DHCP and more than 1 NIC. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, Here is my problem, I am running Win2k server sp4. I connect using a boot disk which pulls down a DHCP address, which works fine. I want to add more nics to my server, so I can have different people connecting to different nics, so I can get a gig throughput to each of my switches....

NIC won't assign IP [ 9 Answers ]

I have a laptop connected just fine on my home wireless network. My desktop (wired) is another story. It was working fine and then just quit. If I run an ipconfig... it comes back with a 169. Number which means its not getting out to the network. I have turned off the firewall and all the TCP/IP...

No Power, NIC lights blink, Fan spins for a second... That is all. [ 6 Answers ]

I have an old compaq from about 2000, it ran win98 SE. I needed a second computer so I was going to try to work with that. It was working last time it was used, now when I plug in the power cord the fan starts to spin, the NIC lights blink, and that is all. There is a dim yellow light on the...

View more questions Search