Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

Sep 26, 2007, 11:01 PM
    Why should I trust ?
    Why is the man who invests all your money called a 'broker'?
    edzmedz Posts: 180, Reputation: 12

Sep 27, 2007, 01:46 AM
    Don't trust anyone, trust me. See? :)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2007, 01:49 AM
    You know, that's an interesting question considering part of the name is "broke."

I did find the information on the following site that might lend some insight as to why the name "broker."

broker: definition, usage and pronunciation - YourDictionary.com

Broker Etymology

[Middle English, from Anglo-Norman brocour, abrocour; akin to Spanish alboroque, ceremonial gift at conclusion of business deal, from Arabic al-barka, the blessing, colloquial variant of al-baraka : al-, the + baraka, blessing, divine favor (from braka, to bless; see brk in Semitic roots).]

Word History: Giving gifts to one's broker might be justifiable from an etymological point of view because the word broker may be connected through its Anglo-Norman source, brocour, abrocour, with Spanish alboroque, meaning "ceremony or ceremonial gift after the conclusion of a business deal." If this connection does exist, "business deal" is the notion shared by the Spanish and Anglo-Norman words because brocour referred to the middleman in transactions. The English word broker is first found in Middle English in 1355, several centuries before we find instances of its familiar compounds pawnbroker, first recorded in 1687, and stockbroker, first recorded in 1706.
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

Sep 27, 2007, 09:50 AM
    You answered the question but I have to spread some reputation around before I can agree. Thanks Clough

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trust- how can I trust him again? [ 8 Answers ]

Okay, so , my boyfriend and I have been together for a while now, things have always been good. He may have lied to me about really small things. And then I found out he lied to me about where he was going a couple times. His excuse was that he didn't want me complaing or nagging. Well, things...

How do I trust again [ 27 Answers ]

Hello My husband has a problem with drinking,he is a great guy without it.we have been here before,he said he will stop,how do I believe him or trust him again? STEPHANIE:confused:

Revocable Trust (Grantor) Trust w/3rd party trustee [ 2 Answers ]

It was my understanding that if a grantor set up a revocable trust and a third party (let's say a bank) was named as trustee, the trustee was required to file a Form 1041. I am unable to locate any IRC or other guidance that would confirm or deny this. Please help. Thank you. Diana

Should I trust him? [ 3 Answers ]

I have never really been able to trust my boyfriends. I am 24 and am from an unstable family which broke up because my father had an affair. I've never actually been cheated on by a serious boyfriend as far as I know. I split up with my live in partner one year ago partially because I was too...

How do you trust again. [ 15 Answers ]

Hey guys just a quick one? As some of you may know my last relationship ended it in disaster lol, but aside from that, how do you trust the new person you are with when you are so scared that the past will repeat itself. I mean I met this awsome person but I can't seem to trust her or...

View more questions Search