Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Freda1962 Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 07:49 PM
    Cannot renew ip address
    I can get connected on my wirless, but I cannot display a page. It shows that I am connected to wireless and I have a strong signal. I then hit repair and it goes through the steps other than it say's cannot repair ip address. I also have tried to renew it by typing in the cmd... ipconfig/renew thaat does not work either. Can anyone help me ?
    Thanks!
    Will00 Posts: 66, Reputation: 3

Sep 26, 2007, 08:38 PM
    Sometimes this can occur with the usage of a specific browser, such as Firefox, or Internet Explorer. I would first suggest both, without starting other processes. Are you sure you are connected to your wireless network, and not someone else's? Did you put in a password, if needed? On your router, or wireless box, does it have a light on that indicates that you have internet?
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2007, 04:00 AM
    Where do you use this wireless connection? At home or office? It can be that the connection from the wireless router to the internet is down...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 27, 2007, 06:18 AM
    How do you connect to the Internet. What is your hardware setup like?

Sep 27, 2007, 06:33 AM
    Thanks guy's for the help but yes I am connected to the internet and all... forgot to tell you I have a comp in my den and the wireless is on it. It works fine it's just my laptop that does not work. The thing is I took it to best buy yesterday they could get on their wireless on my comp. But when I get home I cannot get on my wireless. I hope you can understand all this... Thanks Freda As you can see I'm computer illiterate! Lol

Sep 27, 2007, 06:40 AM
    Do you have any security settings on the router?

Sep 27, 2007, 07:00 AM
    Scott, not that I know of. Actually it was working fine until I went on a trip and took it. Got on at a motel wireless and not worked since I got back home!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Perhaps the laptop picked up the DNS settings from the hotel network and is not letting them go. To fix this you will need to insert the DNS entries of your ISP manually. Here's a site that shows you how do to it:
    https://hdc.tamu.edu/reference/docum...section_id=579

Sep 27, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Hi all your really going to think I'm illiterate.. lol I have the ip address but where do I find the DNS server addresses??

Sep 27, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Did you check out the link Need gave you?

Sep 27, 2007, 08:43 AM
    Yes I did I don't put in those #'s though do I?
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2007, 09:05 AM
    No you don't - good question. :)
    You put in the DNS server addresses specific to your Internet Service Provider.

Sep 28, 2007, 05:54 AM
    Thanks everyone finally got it up and going after an hr on the phone with Linskys!! :)
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 05:58 AM
    So what was the solution?

Sep 28, 2007, 06:40 AM
    I had some settings on the wireless router that was not right.. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't renew my ip address! [ 5 Answers ]

Ok here's the deal guys, I'm using a laptop now using someone else's internet since my desktop ain't working. The problem is with the desktop, it cannot renew the ip address! The modem is working fine and has ALL the lights blinking, everything is working. The network connections lan says its...

Cannot renew my IP address. [ 16 Answers ]

Hey I am new here and I was just wondering why I cannot renew my IP. I have tried for a month or so now and Google search after Google search, I am getting more frusterated. I haven't seen or heard of a problem like mine. The problem I am having is my IP address will not renew, yet I have an...

Can't renew IP address [ 7 Answers ]

My computer says it cannot renew the ip address... im at a loss and the manufacturer is offering no help despite my warranty... go figure haha Please help

Can't renew ip address [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone help me my computer won't renew its ip address?

Can't renew IP Address.. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi All, I am in need of some serious help. I'm using dell computer running on XP. I use a Belkin USB adapter to connect to the internet, but I'm using windows own "wireless network connection" software to connect to the interet. I connect to Airport Express, using the belkin USB but now I...

View more questions Search