Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TINKERER Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Spa heater trips GFI
    I recently acquired a used hot tub which the previous owner stated "it needs a circulation pump and a new heater". After replacing the pump and starting the unit the GFI tripped. Unplugging the heater allows the tub to function-plugging the heater into the control box causes the GFI to trip when the control "calls for heat". The heater checks out with resistance across the power terminals and no continuity or resistance across any other terminal combinations(ground-neutral;ground-hot). The system is 120 volts. This one has me stumped! Does anyone have some guidance for the Tinkerer. PS-a direct replacement heater is no longer available.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2007, 06:35 PM
    What amp. Breaker are you on?? Usely it!s an overload of amp. OR a short that causes one to trip. Your new heater may have a short in it;;.
    tozbro Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TINKERER
    I recently acquired a used hot tub which the previous owner stated "it needs a circulation pump and a new heater". After replacing the pump and starting the unit the GFI tripped. Unplugging the heater allows the tub to function-plugging the heater into the control box causes the GFI to trip when the control "calls for heat". The heater checks out with resistance across the power terminals and no continuity or resistance across any other terminal combinations(ground-neutral;ground-hot). The system is 120 volts. This one has me stumped! Does anyone have some guidance for the Tinkerer. PS-a direct replacement heater is no longer available.
    Hi what brand spa is it?
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2007, 06:44 AM
    Sounds as though the amp load is in excess of the ability for the heater in combination with the pump and what ever else is on the circuit. And it seems if it were much of a heater it would be 220v.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2007, 07:34 AM
    Sounds like open element leaking to ground. If replacement not available, Another may be modified to work.
    On 120 volt units , have seen them use 2 120 volt circuits, 1 for heat, 1 for the rest.
    Did it ever work for past owner, Is everything wired together and coming out with 1 20 Amp cord? Is it a 15, or 20 amp GFI?
    Should be a Nameplate, telling required power requirements, does it have one?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFI Wiring for spa [ 2 Answers ]

My friend is wiring a hot tub. He has a 40 AMP at the house and ran 8/3 from the house to the receptacle at the tub. He grounded the ground at the ground bar in the panel, and connected the like color wires directly to the tub at the recetacle box, 3 1/2 feet up from the floor. The GFI (a 50...

GFI Breaker Trips [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings all! I have a 15 amp GFI breaker that trips anytime something is plugged into any of the outlets on that circuit. I have used a circuit tester and it appears everything is normal but still when I plug anything at all into any of the outlets the breaker trips. What would cause...

240 V GFI for a Spa [ 3 Answers ]

I just installed a spa in my yard that requires 220V I tapped into the electric inside the house and ran 220V to a box by the spa. I put in a GFI and it would not stay on. I checked all wires (multimeter) and it does not have a short. I bypassed the GFI and the spa runs fine. Is there a GFI...

GFI in the panel trips [ 1 Answers ]

I am working in a temporary building with; 16 offices, 16 A/c units, 4 people per office, computers and printers on every desk, refrigerators and battery back-ups plugged into every outlet available. There is a high load and power provided by a large 40 or 60 KW generator. The entrance panel has...

GFI Outlet Trips [ 4 Answers ]

We have an exterior GFI outlet that started continually tripping and then quit altogether. We installed a new one but it also is tripping frequently. Anyone have any suggestions please.

View more questions Search