Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    acw Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 03:19 PM
    Furniture Sales.
    A friend of mine sells furniture at City Furniture... and says he does all right.

I don't how cylical it is... though... as I think the economy is slowing down and this might affect the gross volume of sales for furniture...

Anyone have an answer or comment about furniture sales..?

Thanks for any constructive input...
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Sep 27, 2007, 05:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by acw
    A friend of mine sells furniture at City Furniture...and says he does alright.

I don't how cylical it is....though...as i think the economy is slowing down and this might affect the gross volume of sales for furniture....

Anyone have an answer or comment about furniture sales...???

Thanks for any constructive input...
    Furniture sales are usually more in line with home sales vs the general economy. As people move into new homes they tend to purchase furniture for them. Now we are in a downturned home sales market, but here is the interesting thought. The housing market is experiencing declining values, so as people purchase these homes they may have more money available for accessory items like furniture. This is obviously a very basic overview and is much more detailed but I don't think the furniture market is in trouble.
    t-man Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Sep 27, 2007, 05:55 AM
    Thanks Greg...

I'm just thinking out load but... It seems like furniture sales is related more to people moving than just buying new homes... of course new homes would affect it (I think).

What kind of sales are you doing?
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Sep 28, 2007, 09:03 AM
    This is true, but they don't really keep statistics on people moving. I figured home sales was a good indicator.

I don't know if the last question was for me, but I have been selling in the electronics industry for eleven years.

Oct 3, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Thanks Greg...

What kind of electronics are you selling?

~T
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2007, 11:15 AM
    Hello acw:

It's got nothing to do with what you sell. It has to do with how good a salesman you are.

excon

Oct 4, 2007, 07:08 AM
    This is an incorrect Statement... Very Incorrect...

I've been selling for over 20 yrs... I can tell you this... if you don't like the product you are selling... then you are selling from weakness!

You must like what you are selling... you must believe in what you are selling. The customer will "pick up" on your sincerity or BS from the get go!

Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello acw:

It's got nothing to do with what you sell. It has to do with how good a salesman you are.

excon
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2007, 07:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by t-man
    This is an incorrect Statement...Very Incorrect...You must like what you are selling....you must believe in what you are selling. The customer will pick on your BS from the get go!
    Hello t-man:

Nahh, it isn't incorrect. I do agree with on the part about the BS, though. I don't agree that you have to LIKE or Believe in what you're selling.

What a successful salesman needs to do, pure and simple, is to believe that his prospect LIKES what he's selling.

I used to sell shoes. I sold lots of real ugly shoes that I wouldn't wear, but my customers loved them. I wouldn't have been too successful selling only the shoes I liked.

I used to sell punch press parts. Our punch press parts weren't any better than the competitions. Our prices weren't any better. Our delivery schedule wasn't any better. But, I believed that my prospect needed MY parts - and so did he.

Personally, I didn't have much use for the parts myself. Never found a use for 'em.

I'm splitting hairs here - but they're important hairs.

excon

Oct 4, 2007, 11:25 AM
    Thanks X-con,

No problem... go ahead and split hairs... the devil and God are in the Details.

While you may not agree with every "choice" that your customer makes regarding a product line (if you are selling Honda's... and someone picks the Civic over the Accord) you still must enjoy selling Cars. Some people do... and some don't.

Peace!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furniture Selling [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone: I'm trying to sell some furniture; I would like to sell it to a company because it'll be faster and probably I can get more money for it but I'm not sure where I can find a store. Does any one know of furniture stores that buy used but in good condition furniture? Thanks...

High Pressure Sales with Private Sales Clubs [ 4 Answers ]

To Whom: Is it legal in the state of Rhode Island/Connecticut for a private sales club (Direct Buy) to force a prospective member to join immediately after a forced one hour sales pitch? Direct Buy instructs their prospective customers that if they don't apply for membership immediately they...

Pine furniture [ 1 Answers ]

I have pine dressers. I got a new lamp and I see that there are brown circles from the felt bottom on my dresser. Help, How can I remove these?

Help me save my furniture! [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know what I can do to prevent my 3 cats from clawing on my furniture? I have a wonderful pole that one cat uses but not the other 2. Any suggestions for me??

Painting furniture [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Folks, Is there anyone out there would could tell me how to create the paint wash effect on furniture. What I mean is that it appears to be a very thin coat which is almost transparent and shows the grain of the wood. Any help appreciated. Thanks

View more questions Search