Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Denise Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2005, 11:44 AM
    Printer problems
    I have attached an Epsom Stylus 740 to a Compaq Presario 1246 Laptop. I can see the printer in the print dropdown option. It will also give me a test page but refuses to print out any documents. It says I have an error printing to LPT 1 The printer is not ready. Make sure it is turned on and online.

I can see the print job in the queue and it starts to spool but stops and says there is thirty seconds left, but nothing happens, it also shows the paper coming through the printer at the left hand side where it spools.

Can someone please help.

Denise
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2005, 11:55 AM
    Is the printer connected by USB cable or parallel printer cable (lpt1 port)?
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Oct 6, 2005, 12:05 PM
    Do you have more than one printer installed?

Is the printer that does the test page set as default (little tick on icon)?

To check these just go to printers from:

Start -> settings -> printers.

Or Start -> printers & faxes

Or Start -> control panel -> printers

It could be that you're just printing to the wrong one! To set a printer as your default printer just go to the printers window as described above, right click the printer and select "Set as default printer"
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Oct 6, 2005, 09:12 PM
    The cable connection should be the first in the check list. Lpt1 is a parallel port so make sure printer cable is hooked up to parallel port between laptop and the printer.

If you didn't mean to use parallel port and the printer cable is hooked up to another port (USB, serial, ethernet) be sure to configure it to the right port.

Oct 7, 2005, 12:57 AM
    Just to clarify, does the test page print using the buttons on the printer or from windows? This will help us establish whether the connection is the issue!
    Denise Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2005, 01:13 PM
    Ive checked the suggestions from all the replies,
    The test page prints from the properties when you right click on the printer icon,
    There is a tick to say I am using the default printer,
    The printer is connected using USB, but I can use either.

Thanks for your replies, but I am open to other suggestions, (nice ones of course)

Oct 8, 2005, 01:41 AM
    Sounds like the documents you're trying to print are set to use the LPT1 version of the printer, try this: Go into the document and then click file -> print. Make sure the default printer is selected and press print.

Alternatively, if you have a parallel (LPT1) cable available, try switching the printer over. You shouldn't need to do this however as if the test page works any other documents should. What programs are you printing from (word, excel etc).
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2005, 03:47 AM
    Printer
    Hi,
    If all else fails, try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer.
    If you have the install CD for the printer; then go to Control Panel, then open Add/Remove programs.
    Left click on the printer to highlight it, then click on the Remove button. Follow the instructions to uninstall it.
    When finished, reboot the computer.
    Reinstall the printer, and see if it works now.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 8, 2005, 05:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Denise
    Ive checked the suggestions from all the replies,
    The test page prints from the properties when you right click on the printer icon,
    There is a tick to say I am using the default printer,
    The printer is connected using USB, but I can use either.
    Denise,
    This is very weird. If the test page prints from the properties dialog then your connections are OK. Since it's a USB connection there shouldn't be an issue with LPT1. The only thing that makes any sense to me is that you have 2 printer definitions setup. One using LPT1 the other USB.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Miscrosoft word.. printer problems [ 2 Answers ]

I have Windows XP and I can't print from Word although my printer works in other areas. The paper just goes through blank when I try to print from word. Any ideas? djabcs

Printer problems [ 3 Answers ]

Having trouble with printer because M3SKin.DLL was not. How can I correct this problem?

Which printer should I go with? [ 8 Answers ]

I have been considering purchasing a printer that has the capability of printing onto DVDs and CDs, which I see Epson is really taking up on. Currently, I have a very nice Dell All-In-One Printer with LCD screen, etc... and it works great, but ALL cartridges must be bought from Dell, which tends...

Printer [ 3 Answers ]

I have an Epson Stylus Photo Printer that I want to install on the Windows XP. When I get to a certain point of in the installing, it reads that if I continue it may impair or destablize the operation of the system. It will let me continue or quit. Would the Epson work with the XP?

View more questions Search