Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    agoodheart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 09:30 AM
    Inheritance and Debt
    I'm going to get an inheritance and have credit card debt. I want to pay back the debt but I don't want to have to use all of the money. I know that credit counseling places can help, but I feel that I am an intelligent person and can deal with my creditors on my own. I'm looking for some tips on how to do this.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 26, 2007, 09:32 AM
    You need to provide more information. Are you delinquent on this debt? Are they will a collection agency? How much are we talking about in respect to the inheritance?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 26, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Call up each and don't tell them you have money coming in, or they will find a way to just take it ( if they have a judgement they can do that anyway)
    But if you owe 1000, tell them you want to try and settle and have access to borrow some money, will they settle for? Now the for is the issue, how old is the debt, how long since you have not paid the bill. If this is a credit card debt and you have not paid them any payments in over a year, most likely they may settle for 1/2 of what you owe. If this is a bill where you are current on all payments most likely they may not even settle for anything less.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Contacted by debt collector after notification that debt was not valid [ 1 Answers ]

I was contacted by a debt collection agency by phone stating that I owed $686.00 from 1991. I returned the call to find out what this pertained to and the gave me the name a store credit card that I had at that time - during that period my ex- husband filed bankruptsy and all accounts ( personal...

Question #2 Debt Validation: Should I wait out and old debt? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Concerning the Debt Validation / Verification process: If a debt is due to expire (over 7 years old) in a couple of months, is it better to validate /verify it; or wait it out and then get it removed - that is, will the act of verifying the debt renew the life of the debt if it is proved...

Debt Inheritance [ 3 Answers ]

If I inherit a house with a judgement against it will I inherit the debt of the judgement?

Debt Settlement and Cash Inheritance [ 6 Answers ]

I am in the process of debt management for a relatively large amount of debt and still have a couple of years to complete the payoff. I am about to receive an inheritance larger than the debt. I can either have cash or real estate. Which would be the smartest to do?

View more questions Search