Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    88 Civic Wagon Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 07:44 AM
    88 Civic Wagon: Bogging below 2500 rpm and hard studder and 4000 rpm.
    Hello all:

I have a '88 Civic Wagon with 220k on a D15B2 (DPFI) engine. Just recently I have started having the problem above. Mostly once the car is warmed up. The car will choke, sputter, and try to stall even at full throttle below 2500rpm. After 2500 rpm the engine spins to life and runs great until 4000 rpm. At 4000 rpm the car acts like it has no fuel and decelerates... Hard!

A little background, this car does not have an EGR valve as far I can tell and
    Never seem to have had one. There is a small crack in the radiator which is
    Currently patched with JB Weld "Water Weld", I pretty much have to refill it
    Daily. I know I have at least one bad cylinder ring and possibly a mildly
    Burnt through head gasket. As evident by the small amount of smoke color
    And the burnt oil smell. Other than that Mrs Lincoln the play is great.

Aside from the known problems any wisdom on the shuddering stalling problem would be much appreciated, because this one has me stumped.

Thank you,
    Drew
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 01:07 PM
    I would test/replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil. AutoZone will do this for free. Personally, if I were going to keep the car, I would replace them because of the age and mileage on the car.

Sep 26, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Txgreasemonkey,

Do you happen to know what the Ignition Coils function is? The ICM I imagine regulates the spark based on throttle input. Is the coil some sort of capacitor?

Thanks

P.S. - I do plan on keeping the car as it is nearly rust free and this is first major set of problems its ever had.
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 02:22 PM
    The Ignition Control Module is a set of "electronic points," which opens and closes power going to the primary windings in the coil many times each second. When this is done is governed by the ECM (computer). The purpose of all of this is to "step up" voltage in the coil from 12 volts, in the primary circuit, to 25,000+ volts, in the secondary circuit, for firing the spark plugs.

Here's how to do the job yourself:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

Sep 26, 2007, 05:22 PM
    I was looking at my dizzy to start tackling the ICM and noticed this. What is this sensor and I am guessing it should not look like this.

Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 05:30 PM
    Not sure.

Sep 26, 2007, 08:03 PM
    Oh, well on with the ICM and Coil. I will let you know. For good measure I think I will replace the fuel filter also.

Oct 11, 2007, 02:47 PM
    All right so before I got to the ignitor the Timing Belt, Radiator, Head Gasket, and Water Pump failed all in one weekend. So after fixing all of that the car runs beautifully. Except Now my clock and radio won't turn on... At all. C'est la vie. Sounds like the issue was probably timing related. :rolleyes: Thanks for your help Tex.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HONDA CIVIC EX 96 fluctuate rpm problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hi , I have a honda civic ex 96 ,when is in idle and I turn on the a/c the rpm fluctuate, its go about 100 rpm up and down not that much, sometime went I accelerated to 2,000 rpm and let it go back to idle it work normal ,but most of the time that I'm driving and it goes to idle start fluctuate...

Honda Civic Si Engine cut (like redline) at 4000 rpm [ 8 Answers ]

2002 Honda Civic Si Today on the way to work my check engine light came on and the engine started to cut, the way it does when you redline, but it's doing it at exactly 4000 rpm, in any gear including neutral. Then on my drive home from work it stopped cutting, but the service engine light...

2001 honda civic Hesitation @ 4000 rpm [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2001 honda civic that recently started hesitating when reaching 4000 rpm. It also has two engine codes. P1298 & P1259. I am a diesel mechanic and could usually troubleshoot and fix problems on my own but, this problem is giving me a bit of a challenge.:confused: Any suggestions would be...

1998 honda accord rpm fluctuates at 4000 [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, when I first start the car it can Rev up once past 4000RPM. Any time after that it will not past 4000RPM and it will fluctuate. If I turn off the car and restart, it will past 4000RPM as if I'm resetting something. I recently changed these parts: Throttle body Throttle Position...

Honda civic delayed RPM [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We have a honda civic 1993 model that won't rev until about 15 to 20 seconds we have replaced the ECU, MAP, TPS, but still the same thing happens. CEL is on. Anything like this happening to anybody? Please help Thank you.

View more questions Search