Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Heather60 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 07:19 AM
    Charged for carpet replacement, carpet was not damaged
    I moved out of an apartment and was charged $569.06 to replace the carpet. There was one stain, approximately 12x12 that I agreed was damaged. When I moved out, the Apartment Manager alleged, in writing, that I had a pet. I did not have a pet. I am an 18 year Flight Attendant and literally lived in the apartment 14 days a month for a year. I had rugs on every floor and there was absolutely no other damage to the carpet. I believe that this is a personal grievance as I sent a letter to the apartment office after trying to get a lock changed after five requests, with no response. I carbon copied that letter to the Management Partner in California. I am at a loss for the next step. I did not damage the carpet and the Apartment Manager KNOWS it was not damaged. Please advise.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 26, 2007, 07:22 AM
    Did you do a walk through? Do you have pictures?

You will have to sue them for the charges they deducted. To be successful you will have to prove there were no damages. They will bring in their carpet person who will probably testify that they had to replace the carpet.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2007, 07:40 AM
    I'm confused. In the beginning of your post, you state that you agreed that there was a 12x12 area of carpet that was damaged but that there was "no other damage"; at the end of your post, you state that the carpet wasn't damaged. Which one is it? It can't be both damaged and undamaged.

You should have done a walk-through prior to signing your lease. If there was damage at the time of occupancy, it should have been noted in writing; this would have kept you from being held liable for any damage that the manager is claiming you put there.

As for pictures, Scott, they don't mean a hill of crap. I sued one of my tenants who completely trashed my apartment; she came into court claiming it looked like that when she moved in. I had pictures that proved the apartment was clean and orderly upon her occupancy. The stupid judge gave me a only partial judgment on my bill because she had 2 friends sign affidavits saying she was telling the truth. The only reason I got a judgment at all was because the defendant was stupid enough to admit in court that she was potty-training a dog inside of the house.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 26, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Better to have pictures than not. Did your pictures have a date stamp?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2007, 08:41 AM
    Absolutely. I even had notarized affidavits from the previous tenants stating that their security deposit was returned in full because the apartment was left in such good condition. There was no one in the apartment in between the previous tenants and the one I sued, so the damage was quite obviously done by the tenant that I sued. The judge claimed that my affidavits didn't overcome the defendant's statement that the apartment was damaged when she moved in, even though I had the photographic evidence proving otherwise. I even brought samples of the carpeting which showed it wouldn't have needed replacement if the defendant had bothered to take her dog outside.

This particular judge is such a complete joke. He doesn't pay attention in court and he doesn't account for evidence, like the pictures or the carpeting I supplied. I looked into filing an appeal but that's going to cost more than my bill is to begin with. I filed a complaint with the Judicial Commission but that was a complete waste of my time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carpet replacement in apartment [ 2 Answers ]

What are the laws on the replacement of carpeting in an apartment? How often is it supposed to be replaced?

Calculating the cost of damaged carpet. [ 1 Answers ]

How do I calculate the monetary damage incurred by tenants on carpet? The carpet has been professionally cleaned, however, there are large yellow stains that do not come out. These stains resulted from urine and/or emesis from a small dog. I have hired a carpet cleaning company to cut out the...

Carpet damaged [ 1 Answers ]

I was renting a property from a landlord in columbus Ohio. I have been there for 2 and 1/2 years. He snet me an email telling me he was going to take me to small claims court for my water bill which I said I would pay. And he said that the carpet needs replaced and he wants me to pay him back...

Carpet replacement Statute [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Colorado and I have been told that there is a statute which stipulates the landlord and or renting facility must replace the carpet after 7 years. Is this true? If this is true does the carpet need to be cleaned by the renter prior to this happening? Second (or third, however you...

Carpet Replacement [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I were renting in oceanside, Ca. we were getting our final inspection on the house and the said we owe the $650 for the carpet because of a pet accident on the carpet. We heard the if you rental a place for more than a year in CA, that the landlord has to replace the carpet. Is this...

View more questions Search