Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Steph819 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2007, 04:22 PM
    'hammer' noise when washer is running
    Whenever I use the warm or hot water settings on my new washing machine, it makes a hammering noise unless I turn on the COLD water on the utility sink next to it.

Why does this happen & how do I stop it?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 25, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Your new washer probably has a better fill valve that shuts off quickly causing water hammer. You can install water hammer arrestors near the shut off valves for the washer. They aren't too expensive and some new versions do not require soldiering.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Humming noise when water is running [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had a pressure reducing valve replaced. Since then I hear a humming or even a howling sound whenever I turn on any water source. Even when the toilet is filling, it hums or howls. As soon as I turn the water off, the sound stops. The sound is loud. I checked the pressure and it is...

Kenmore stack washer/dryer - washer makes noise during wash [ 2 Answers ]

My son has a Kenmore stack washer/dryer that makes a noise that sounds something like a gear when washing only. Could this be a transmission problem? Jay

Noise/smell from tub drain when dishwasher running [ 1 Answers ]

We've noticed a rotten egg type smell coming from our bathroom. Upon further investigation it appears to be coming from the bathtub drain. Further, it only does this when the dishwasher is running and sometimes when the washing machine is running. You can also hear a noise (gurgling?) coming...

Pipe noise - not water hammer [ 1 Answers ]

Copper pipe "thump" noise occurs intermittently (approx. every 20 seconds) and diminishes after approx. 2 hours following shutoff of hot water tap in kitchen. The noise is not location specific and is loud for the first hour and a bit. The noise resembles the sound you hear when pipes are...

Noise when flushing toilet and when running water [ 1 Answers ]

I have humming noise (seems to be getting louder) when I flush the toilet and when I run water into the bath and into the kitchen sink. I read a reply to a similar problem about looking at the regulator.. What is a regulator? Many thanks!

View more questions Search