Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bre1028 Posts: 55, Reputation: 2

Oct 5, 2007, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    Clough is right hun. You should be happy that your mom cares so much.

I know we can get mad at our parents sometimes, but the reason they do things that make us mad is because they love us and dont want anything to happen to us. Her reasoning more than likely isnt what you are doing on the internet, but more about who else is on the internet with you, you know what I mean? We can sometimes give out too much information without realizing it. A person in a chat room can seem friendly and can seem like they have good intentions, but we can never tell through a computer screen. All we can see is the words that are typed. Trust me, chat rooms are not all they are hyped up to be anymore. They are filled with spam and bots that can hurt your computer, and i'm sure you dont want to hurt your computer, you want to get use out of it, right?
    Yes I want to get us out of the computer.
    kitten94515 Posts: 115, Reputation: 4

Oct 5, 2007, 04:27 PM
    Scottgem: srsly dude, you don't have to be rude if she needs help I think we should give her help not be cruel and rude. But anyway, yeah its not bad it just shows she cares about u. why do you care if she knows? I mean as long as your not doing anything bad, just ignore it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 5, 2007, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kitten94515
    scottgem: srsly dude, u dont have to be rude if she needs help i think we should give her help not be cruel and rude. but anyway, yeah its not bad it just shows she cares about u. why do u care if she knows? i mean as long as your not doing anything bad, just ignore it.
    Excuse me? Where was I rude? Where was I cruel? I've tried to help here. And dude, this isn't chat or texting. We type in real words and sentences here. Using chat speak IS rude.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 5, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Boy you sure are a lucky girl!!

I have a 13 year old girl myself. If she were ever in a chat room we would not have any program on our computer, we would not have internet access. PERIOD!!

Look hun, your mom is doing the right thing for you right now. She has your safety in mind.

Have you read this hun?

A thirteen year old Southampton girl and an only child, Michaela Montague, disappeared for five days after visiting an internet café on Valentine's Day.
    Michaela's mother, Sasha Bryant, had banned her from using chat rooms at home after becoming concerned about who her daughter was making contact with.

Michaela is refusing as yet to tell police or anyone else what exactly happened to her, saying she was just with a 'friend'. However, it is strongly suspected that she was abducted by a paedophile she 'met' on the internet. Not only was she seen shortly before she disappeared talking to a man in a car near where she lived, but a stranger telephoned the family home while she was missing, apologising profusely.

Ms Bryant, voiced her concerns about the ease with which paedophiles can make direct contact with children via then web, saying, 'My fear is that meeting someone on the internet sparked this off in the first place. There is every possibility she met up with someone she contacted via a chat room. Michaela learned her way round the internet very quickly, like all children her age do. She was very keen on the word wide web and when we first got a computer at home she was always logging on. Then she discovered chat rooms. I warned her about the dangers of them because you just do not know who you are talking to. People can pretend to be anything they seem when you cannot see them.'
    I had a friend abducted when I was in high school, before the internet as it is now... She was never found, that was more than 25 years ago.

How do you know who these people are that you talk to on the chat room? You don't. I could easily sign up here under another name, with another pic, and be your friend.

There are people out there, in chat rooms, that can easily pinpoint your address through your IP address, you don't even have to tell them.

You know how I know that? Because I have done it. We had a member here who was very depressed and suicidal, I got a little info out of him, very little actually just his last name, and was able to locate him, his address and his phone number.

You are playing a very dangerous game. One that could kill you if you continue on this path.

Again, you are lucky you still have internet access.
    bre1028 Posts: 55, Reputation: 2

Oct 5, 2007, 05:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Boy you sure are a lucky girl!!!

I have a 13 year old girl myself. If she were ever in a chat room we would not have any program on our computer, we would not have internet access. PERIOD!!!

Look hun, your mom is doing the right thing for you right now. She has your safety in mind.

Have you read this hun?

I had a friend abducted when I was in high school, before the internet as it is now......She was never found, that was more than 25 years ago.

How do you know who these people are that you talk to on the chat room? You don't. I could easily sign up here under another name, with another pic, and be your friend.

There are people out there, in chat rooms, that can easily pinpoint your address through your IP address, you don't even have to tell them.

You know how I know that? Because I have done it. We had a member here who was very depressed and suicidal, I got a little info out of him, very little actually just his last name, and was able to locate him, his address and his phone number.

You are playing a very dangerous game. One that could kill you if you continue on this path.

Again, you are lucky you still have internet access.
    I thought I knew who I was talking to when I was in the chat room but I really didn't know.And just reading that really scares me.J_9 when I was on the chat room I gave out my information about like what I do on saturdays and like other stuff.I don't know what I was thinking when I was on the chat room.I hope the people in the chat room can't find me and if they do I don't know what I am going to do.I am glad I can't go to the chat room cause my mom blocked me from the chat rooms and that's great.I knew what could happened to me but at the time I didn't care but now I do care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My mom and Step mom in hate! [ 6 Answers ]

My mom and step mom are not getting along. It all started with a stupid gift card! Out of all things. My card only had $3.45 on it and my brother only had $.19 on his. The cards were soposed to have $20.00 on it. My mom and step mom live one house away from each other and then they just get into...

Delete! [ 1 Answers ]

Delete!

When can Calif. Step in and put mom in nursing home? [ 2 Answers ]

My mom lives in California. Dad passed away three years ago and it is just my sister and I and mom. I live in Wyoming, my sister in CA. My mom has my sister at her becken call and won't allow her to have a life with her son. Mom is very abusive to my sister and my sister is always calling us to...

View more questions Search