Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alexanderjames153 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Adding Spouse as Owner to Residential Title
    I married my husband a few months after he bought the home in which we live. I'd like to have my name added to the title as an equal owner -- we recently spent a fair amount of money ($60K) updating the home and I'd like to be listed as owner for security's sake. The home is in Texas and my husband has the mortgage in his name. Does anyone know what the process is for adding my name as an owner? Is this even possible?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 25, 2007, 07:51 AM
    You should consult the mortgage companmy as they may want your name on the mortgage too. Since the mortgage is a lien on the house you technically can't tranfer the house without their approval.

Once you get that, just have your husband file a quitclaim deed from him to you and him as joint tenants.
    alexanderjames153 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2007, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alexanderjames153
    I married my husband a few months after he bought the home in which we live. I'd like to have my name added to the title as an equal owner -- we recently spent a fair amount of money ($60K) updating the home and I'd like to be listed as owner for security's sake. The home is in Texas and my husband has the mortgage in his name. Does anyone know what the process is for adding my name as an owner? Is this even possible?
    Very helpful - thanks, Scott!
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Sep 25, 2007, 09:45 AM
    Go back to the Home page and click on the Real Estate Law forum. At the top of the list is a sticky post that explains exactly how to add someone to a deed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a spouse to a house deed [ 1 Answers ]

How would my husband g oabout adding my name to his house deed. He bought the house 10 yrs ago, we got married 3 yrs ago.

401K taxes for spouse if owner dies [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to clarify a situational concern I have. I have heard that if a person has a 401K with a former employer and they pass away, the spouse will have to pay taxes on the disbursement as if it were a normal income check. Is this correct, and if so, would this also apply if the person lost...

401 k adding spouse name [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if you can add a spouse to an existing 401k? I was told that you can't and that it is the law. I am in Hawaii and not familiar with that. If this is correct, any suggestions besides liquidating and eat penalties and taxes to have both my wife and I on the same account. Roth,...

Adding spouse name to house deed [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has a house that he is renting to tenants but he is still making mortgage payments and want to add my name to it what steps do I take to do take? Thank you, Mistyrita

View more questions Search