Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Northern_Legend Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2007, 09:09 PM
    Painful Obsession
    About four years ago I started having feelings for members of, well, the same sex. I had no intention of ever telling anyone of my thoughts until it developed into a big problem.

In the beginning, it wasn't so bad, I was able to function normally and I didn't consider it to be that much of a problem. Soon though, I met someone I really liked. I was too afraid to tell them at the time though I liked them very much. It made me so sad and anxious to think about him. It started to get so bad that I could no longer sleep at night, so, I started thinking about him to help put me to sleep at night.

The next part is embarrassing, I began to imagine I was someone else and that we were dating. This worked for a while, and I was able to function like normal for a while again. It started getting worse when I had to be around this person more and more often. I wanted so badly to be with him it hurt when others would say his name. I would walk into class every morning and he was the first person I talked to (he had no idea how I felt at the time). Every day after class, I would leave with a shocked, depressed, hopeless feeling that I never would truly get what I felt like I needed. Again I could no longer sleep at night, and it was greatly effecting my relationships with my friends. (His name is Eric by the way) One day, I could take it no longer, I wanted someone to help so bad, that I ended up telling my best friend (who, oddly, was Eric's brother). His reaction to my problem was comforting that he didn't care, but also excruciating in that he would not try to help me. I started to talk about it all the time. How much I loved Eric, how I wanted to tell him so badly. Drew, my best friend, would say nothing. That has been the worst pain of everything. My best friend didn't (and still doesn't) care. As I talked and talked the more we fought and fought. He didn't want to talk about it ever, I felt like he didn't care. I still wanted to be his friend, but this was getting way out of hand, and with my obsessive personality, it wasn't soon going to get any better. One day, my friends had had enough. They angrily forced me and Drew to tell them why we were fighting all the time. It was at about this time, that I started having feelings for Drew too. I was not afraid to tell him, though it made him uneasy. He was not "that way". As soon as we told our friends, Drew told his mom. I was very scared. I did not know what she would do. She didn't want me to "plague" Drew with this problem any longer, so she had me talk to her instead. One day, I told her I couldn't take it anymore, I wanted to tell Eric how I felt. Her reply was one I did not want to hear. She had already told him, and he wanted nothing to do with me. Many times I called, wanting to just shoot myself, because the thoughts just wouldn't go away.

And that's where I am today. I would very much appreciate advice. I can not stop thinking about him, I try and try but there is always something to remind me. I want my friend and my old life back, and I am begging for someone's counseling.
    man909 Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Sep 24, 2007, 10:10 PM
    Well as a strait mans opinion there is never a more awkward moment then when you tell a strait guy u like him especially when he is a friend and you tell their bother. That it why he tried to ignore it because it is a very uncomfertable. You need to understand that he is not the same "life style" as you and it will never work.You also are not in love you seem to be more attracted to drama. I would forget about this whole problem make new friends and go to a counseler. Im sorry to say but your old friendship may never come back again. But its never the end accept the way you are and move on and make new friends and never look back.
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Sep 24, 2007, 10:50 PM
    I always say, don't rely upon your feelings for they are subject to change, you will be far better of chosing to do the right thing. Seems like you need professional help
    METERRE Posts: 206, Reputation: 22

Sep 24, 2007, 11:38 PM
    Assign yourself an exciting or much needed goal which you could fulfill in the upcoming months, and move toward it, that could keep you going on and at the same time take your mind off your problem a bit. A goal in which you are the most important feature of.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2007, 08:44 AM
    Perhaps you should try and find yourself another gay boy to explore your feelings and divert attention/obsession from these two. You will never be able to have a relationship with a stright guy- it's just not going to happen!

If you feel you need help with them as a obsession get counselling to help you move on.

You should try to find your local gay scene, there will be people you can make friends with who have dealt with and overcome similar problems. There are good websites which will help you with this. I only know UK ones (ie gaydar.co.uk) so if you're in the US you should Google them. They are set up like dating sites but you can also make friends, all my gay friends use it.

You should not be ashamed about being gay but you have to realise when someone is not available. I'll never date a rock star no matter how obsessed I am with them, it's just life and you have to move on.

Good luck to you.
    I hope one day you can recover your friendship

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About obsession [ 2 Answers ]

Hi "ask me", One of my friends is suffering from a mental trauma. When he is alone,he starts getting the feeling of being contaminated.Till the last year, he was not so particular about his hygiene but during these days he is excessively concerned about that. I think that he still can be cured...

Is it an obsession? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 13 and I weight 59 kg and I'm about 157 cm tall. Sometimes I really see me fat but sometimes I see me okey.is it my obsession?

Excessive Obsession [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know what I expect from this panel exactly, but here goes. Details: 20 yr old virgin (lol), Aussie bloke, that's all you need to know. Commencing on. Roughly a year ago I finally experienced my first and only relationship so far with a one of a kind girl called Jemma, and the story is as...

View more questions Search