Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tweetiexx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2007, 08:40 PM
    NJ Adult Child Laws?
    Hi,

I'm not sure who to ask. I'm hoping you can direct me.

My mother allowed my sister to move back into her home 20 years ago when she became pregnant. My sister never left. No rent or agreement for rent was exchanged. She is now 46 year old.

My sister told the family last year that now that now her daughter is 18 she has no reason to live. She is diabetic, has renal failure and needs a double heart bypass. She refuses to take her insulin and to do dialysis. So each week for the last year 911 has come to the house because my sister is found unresponsive, fetal position, foaming at the mouth and shaking violently. It is always determined by medical personal that she is in shutdown for not taking prescribed meds and dialysis. Then when each hospital cleans her up she signs herself out of the hospital AMA only to do it over again at another hospital. Also firing her medical team. Her the last AMA discharge my mother who is 73 years old & in poor health herself locked the door. I called Board of Social Services for their help last week. Saying my sister is medically ill and homeless. Now the (ss) worker refuses to talk to me but did say she strongly suggests mom get an attorney. I think they are going to fight this on my sister behalf as a forced eviction. Mom has not been served any papers as of yet.

When my sister is not medically stable she imagines that daddy left the house to her in his will. Where in fact daddy died in testate, which leaves mom the house. She also told ss that she has been paying rent all these 20 years. In-fact she hasn't given mommy any money. Matter of fact, my sister wrote a letter to ss 20 years ago for my mother to sign as if mom wrote it claiming that she would be paying rent. This letter was to fraudulently collect welfare. When she is feeling well she writes letters to President Bush claiming the drug companies are keeping the cure for diabetes a secret because they would lose money on insulin sales. She feels this is a conspiracy. She is mentally ill. It is the opinion of several of her doctors that she needs to be in nursing home since she is unable to take care of herself. We don't have a power of attorney.

When her sugar is fine she is a highly intelligent & manipulative person, but when her sugar is seriously high which is constantly she is a vicious, lying, paranoid person.

To make matters worst. There is a warrant for my sister arrest because she refuses to pay a ticket for un-registered vehicle she received last year. The car is still unregistered and now uninsured. And is still being constantly driven. She has no respect for the law.

The family is beside themselves. We can't have our sister move in with any of us, I don't want to see my mother prosecuted or sued to let her back in, my sister is not welcome at my mothers home and we cannot afford an attorney.

We are in New Jersey>>>>An earlier post I read "NJ Adult Child Laws" Is there a statute you can forward to me?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 24, 2007, 09:50 PM
    This is far to complex issues, ranging from the inheritance issues, if there was no will ( in some states chidren have some rights to a percent of property) ** not up on your state.

But the mental health issues, with her already living at home, is a big issue, that makes her not able to care for herself, and makes you mom responsible in many aspects.

This will require an attorney who is very up on current mental health legal issues.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SSI benefits and Child Support for Adult Child. [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if a parent can still be obligated to pay child support to a severely disabled adult child for the life of the child? (even if the child is receiving state benefits) we are in Cali...

Indiana laws for making adult children leave your residence. [ 2 Answers ]

My 19 year old step-son moved in with my husband and myself a few months ago. He had a few rules to follow, i.e. no smoking in the house, keeping his job, etc. He did not pay for rent, he did not buy groceries, he didn't pay any household bills, he was out no money except his cologne and gas for...

View more questions Search