Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    erlobenauer Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Oct 16, 2007, 10:42 PM
    Jrebel - your work is AMAZING! I wish I could do that! Just beautiful!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2007, 10:47 PM
    Hi, jrebel7!

I'm back! Had to conduct a rehearsal of the local Barbershop Chorus group, tonight. It happens every Tuesday night. It is one of the arts in which I am involved.

I would like to see your stories!

As far as your images coming out clear, I would suggest seeing if there is something in your image editing program that can make the images sharper. I have something like that on one of my programs. I know that when I make images lighter or darker on one of the programs that I have, the clarity suffers some. I then sharpen them up.

If you don't mind, I would like to suggest to you not using an email address as your watermark, or whatever it might be called, on your images. Probably isn't going to be a problem on this thread considering the quality of people who are on it. But, you never know who might be looking for a legitimate email address to spam. Just an unsolicited suggestion. I hope that you don't mind my saying that.
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2007, 10:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by erlobenauer
    Jrebel - your work is AMAZING! I wish I could do that!! Just beautiful!
    Yours is beautiful also! Got any more to display?
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 10:52 PM
    Thanks much for the kinds words! :) I was just looking back over some of the posts of art work and reread yours. I could view and study art 24/7! You did that yesterday, in one day?? That is amazing girl! I always admire a soft touch like you have. The expression in the eyes capture so much. I have a question. Did you shade the background or is it just the paper you used? It looks so smooth and even. Also, what kind of pencil do you use and do you work in other mediums?? I know, I am full of questions but I am just always interested in technique, experiences, medium, textures, style!! Please keep posting your work.
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 11:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Hi, jrebel7!

I'm back! Had to conduct a rehearsal of the local Barbershop Chorus group, tonight. It happens every Tuesday night. It is one of the arts in which I am involved.

I would like to see your stories!

As far as your images coming out clear, I would suggest seeing if there is something in your image editing program that can make the images sharper. I have something like that on one of my programs. I know that when I make images lighter or darker on one of the programs that I have, the clarity suffers some. I then sharpen them up.

If you don't mind, I would like to suggest to you not using an email address as your watermark, or whatever it might be called, on your images. Probably isn't going to be a problem on this thread considering the quality of people who are on it. But, you never know who might be looking for a legitimate email address to spam. Just an unsolicited suggestion. I hope that you don't mind my saying that.

Clough, you are one busy guy!! How did the rehearsal go? Looks as if there is not much you can't do! :) I still would like to hear a CD or tape of you playing music.

I will post stories but should I do a copyright like on photos? The printer who does my Giclee prints, scans my original work and makes one a .TIF image for him to use and then makes one a web image. I think that might be part of the clarity problem because I reduce the size so much for this forum, but I can work on that.

Oh, I appreciate so much you making the suggestion regarding the e-mail address! Thank you so much. I never gave that a thought. I will come up with something else. Should I do something about the images I have already posted... have them removed or something. I wouldn't repost them even with different watermark/symbol since they have been viewed already anyway! Let me know please what you think I should do.
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2007, 11:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrebel7
    Clough, you are one busy guy!!! How did the rehearsal go? Looks as if there is not much you can't do! :) I still would like to hear a CD or tape of you playing music.

I will post stories but should I do a copyright like on photos? The printer who does my Giclee prints, scans my original work and makes one a .TIF image for him to use and then makes one a web image. I think that might be part of the clarity problem because I reduce the size so much for this forum, but I can work on that.

Oh, I appreciate so much you making the suggestion regarding the e-mail address! Thank you so much. I never gave that a thought. I will come up with something else. Should I do something about the images I have already posted....have them removed or something. I wouldn't repost them even with different watermark/symbol since they have been viewed already anyway! Let me know please what you think I should do.
    Thanks for the reply!

Rehearsal went just fine! Incredible group of guys! As far as a bunch of men, it would be hard to find a finer kind of group in which to be involved, in my opinion, at least. Singing together, caring about one another, sharing, fellowship, working together towards a common goal, perfecting our art, etc.

I do have recordings that go back many years. But, that is for another time... We both know that we have other things on which to concentrate right now. ;) :)

I believe that if you type Copyright, year and then your first and last name besides your writing then that should cover things in terms of copyright. When I have read what is on the following site, Copyright Office Basics it has been my understanding that your photographic or written literary works are automatically copyrighted at the onset of their creation/publication. I may not be totally correct about that, though. I have also read where others, not from the copyright office, say that you have to mail the things that you want copyrighted to yourself in an envelope and then just not open the envelope after you receive it. There may be someone else here who has a better idea as to how all this copyright stuff works, though.

Maybe the problem is in the format of your images as far as the clarity of them is concerned. Anything that I have posted elsewhere on this site is in jpeg format. There doesn't seem to be any problem with the clarity when I have posted them to other threads. By-the-way, the images that I have posted have had nothing to do with art. Usually for the Humor & Comedy section of this site.

I am assuming that some of the images that you have posted here are just pictures that you have taken of your work and then just put into your computer either by scanning or from a CD. Correct?

Are you interested in the free image editor that use? It is pretty good! It is the one that I have used to post images on this site.

I wouldn't do anything about the images that you have already posted. Too much work! I would just be careful about the next ones that you do post from here on out.

Oct 17, 2007, 12:19 AM
    Thanks much for the kinds words! :) I was just looking back over some of the posts of art work and reread yours. I could view and study art 24/7! You did that yesterday, in one day??? That is amazing girl! I always admire a soft touch like you have. The expression in the eyes capture so much. I have a question. Did you shade the background or is it just the paper you used? It looks so smooth and even. Also, what kind of pencil do you use and do you work in other mediums??? I know, I am full of questions but I am just always interested in technique, experiences, medium, textures, style!!! Please keep posting your work.

I think this is in reference to me, lol. Well, I did that drawing in about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. I like soft touch as well, but mostly because once I try to shade any other way, it doesn't look right. I need some serious help when it comes to shading, I usually smudge with a Kleenex or Tortillon.

The paper isn't shaded at all, its cheap paper, Premium white medium tooth for charcoal pastel pencil and pen. I couldn't even tell you what paper to use, lol. And as for pencils, I just went to the art store the other day and bought a Graphite Drawing Kit - because I have nothing here. I don't have experience really, other than my doodlings/drawings in which I just teach myself and erase and redo until it looks good enough. I need CLASSES badly! Feel free to HELP :)

I will try to do another today, and post it tonight or so!!

Oct 17, 2007, 03:08 AM
    Hey again! I started this after my last post. Please don't mind the backround, I was rushing ( I KNOW BADDDDD thing to do ) but anyhow - I totally messed this up anyway, it was supposed to be Angelina Jolie - and well... it looks nothing like her, I'm lost as of right now, I have no idea what I'm doing or not doing to make a portrait look like the person in the photo. :(

I'll need lots more practice I guess, but here goes:)
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2007, 09:18 AM
    Thanks for the reply!

Rehearsal went just fine!

I wouldn't do anything about the images that you have already posted. Too much work! I would just be careful about the next ones that you do post from here on out.

Hey Clough, I started twice to answer his last night and just couldn't put words together! Glad you had a great rehearsal. Sounds like a fun group!

I appreciate your tips on copyrighting the written word. I will probably type something like you stated and not worry about it. One pagers wouldn't be much in demand anyway, especially from someone who writes so elementary in style. LOL When I work on a drawing, I get certain thoughts that come to mind. When I drew the Palmer Chapel, which I will post in a later post, I wrote as if the Chapel was speaking, not me. When I wrote about "Searching Eyes", as if the man were telling the story and so on and so forth!! It may be a bit confusing the way I write. But I enjoy others writings and hope you enjoy the stories also. I keep them one page so I can frame them and hang them next to the drawing at the shows.

To answer your question regarding the images I have posted, most are on a CD taken from scans by the man who does my prints. He can print a canvas or watercolor paper the size of a large living room so I think he uses the .TIF format for clarity. What I posted were .jpg files. I either change them to that format or Dewey has both kinds of files on the CD. The few exceptions are the gourds, computer foot stool, jewelry, three dimensional pieces that I did photograph of then scanned and saved in .jpg format. Dewey keeps my images on his computer plus burns a CD for me when I have work scanned. That way when I want additional prints made, larger prints made, or greeting cards or book marks made, all I have to do is e-mail and place my order then go to Tulsa, and pick them up. I think perhaps when I reduce the size to 750 or actually, I do most at 450 pixels to keep the post from being quite so large, it might make them not as crisp. Would you be able to send a link to the free photo editor you use and I could install it perhaps? That would be great. I use Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 most of the time but I have three others but seems so far, the Jasc Paint Pro 8 seems to give me the most options for editing.

I will leave the earlier posts then. I wasn't going to redo and repost just remove but I imagine it will be okay anyway but I so much do appreciate you mentioning changing what I put on the copyright! As always, you are right on! Jan
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2007, 09:45 AM
    I think this is in reference to me, lol. Well, I did that drawing in about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. I like soft touch as well, but mostly because once I try to shade any other way, it doesn't look right. I need some serious help when it comes to shading, I usually smudge with a Kleenex or Tortillon.

The paper isn't shaded at all, its cheap paper, Premium white medium tooth for charcoal pastel pencil and pen. I couldn't even tell you what paper to use, lol. And as for pencils, I just went to the art store the other day and bought a Graphite Drawing Kit - because I have nothing here. I dont have experience really, other than my doodlings/drawings in which I just teach myself and erase and redo until it looks good enough. I need CLASSES badly! Feel free to HELP :)

I will try to do another today, and post it tonight or so!!!
    I apologize! I should have addressed the post to you since I didn't use the "quote" feature. I am fairly new on here so sometimes, I don't do everything as succinctly as I should. :confused: LOL

I use Strathmore Bristol Velum 100 # paper (they also have it in smooth) and the pencils are Design Ebony Jet Black Extra Smooth #14420, and the Design kneaded eraser for smudging, taking out light strokes, highlighting, etc. all are available at craft stores. If you don't use one of those types of erasers, I would encourage you to get one. You just keep working it and working it as you use it. After awhile, you would need to purchase a new one but they last a really long time, through several large drawings. The pencils have different hardnesses of lead but I find this one is usually all I need. I keep a very fine point, using an electric pencil sharpener. I have tried to use several types of sharpeners to keep from eating up the pencils so quickly, shorter length on the lead showing but I like having the long thin tip. I usually get only 4 to 9 strokes to the point then resharpen. Of course, I keep a larger supply of sharpened pencils, go through all of those, then take a break and resharpen all of them. The drawings you see with black backgrounds, I have done that all with pencil. I have done small drawings in three to nine hours. The most hours I have put into a piece is 52 hours. It was larger than most and the complete page was detailed. I will post that one at some time. My nephew died two years ago. He was 37! He called me his "favorite iconoclastic (breaker of images) aunt". I wanted to do a pencil drawing of his cowboy boots. It turned out to be much more than just a drawing. There are a lot of images within the picture that pertains to his life! Well, this is turning into an epic. I am just excited to have someone who enjoys working in pencil to converse with.

I look forward to more postings from you!
    Happy Drawing! :)
    Jrebel7
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2007, 10:01 AM
    Hey again! I started this after my last post. Please dont mind the backround, I was rushing ( I KNOW BADDDDD thing to do ) but anyhow - I totally messed this up anyway, it was supposed to be Angelina Jolie - and well......it looks nothing like her, I'm lost as of right now, I have no idea what I'm doing or not doing to make a portrait look like the person in the photo. :(

I'll need lots more practice I guess, but here goes:)
    Glad you posted again. Portraits are difficult for me. When doing portraits, and there are artists far more qualified than I on this thread to give you helpful hints but one thing I have learned is to study the face for a long time before beginning, train your eye to see the width between the eyes, the height of the cheekbones, the length of the face and try to visualize the face as not just an image but you must see the muscles, bones structure, tissue, etc. under what makes up the face or body to get the full effect and give your drawing more body so to speak. LOL I may have made no sense here whatsoever. It just seems to help me to visualize all that makes up the person, animal, tree, whatever before beginning. Please don't misunderstand. I am just sharing what helps me. It seems you have an excitement for art and I just encourage you to keep at it. Keep posting. I am so glad you are on the thread! :)
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Grammadidi, I don't think I must be doing the copyright process correctly because my images are not coming out very clear. Maybe it is just from resizing them to a smaller size, you think?
    To me, your images look great! As for your copyright process - I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to do the detailed instructions with supporting images that I promised you. Life just hasn't given me enough time this week, and when I have had time I have been dealing with health issues. I think the way that you are doing it is fine, but perhaps there are a few changes you could make with your settings. I would ensure your text setting is set at a stroke width of 0 (zero) and your colour is black for both the Foreground/Stroke and the Background/Fill. It shouldn't affect your images at all.

Open your original image, push Shift + D to create a copy, close your original, resize your image. Make sure you resize your image before adding the text.

Ohhhhhhhh... wait... are you adding a layer? Gulp... did I neglect that? *Didi hangs head in shame* Go to Layers/New Raster Layer. A window will pop up. Name it "Text", Blend Mode "Normal", Opacity "50" (you can alter this if you aren't happy with it), Layer is Visible, Link set "0", Highlight in Layer Palette is NOT checked. Click okay.

If you want the text more or less opaque then use the contol on the Layer Toolbar. Once you place your text exactly where you want it, Merge your layers (Layers/Merge/Merge Visible) and it should be great. Let me know if it works, or if you still need the visuals to help you out. We could also talk on either MSN Messenger or Yahoo Messenger if you want me to walk you through it step by step.

Hope this helps!

Oh, I wanted to address the soul sisters issue once more. I used to build and refinish step stools. When I saw your little computer leg rest I laughed out loud at yet another similarity.

Hugs, Didi

Oct 17, 2007, 10:45 PM
    JREBEL -

NO you made sense - and yes, I do know part of my problem is , I Don't take my time, I rush and get frustrated. BUt I LOVE pencil drawing, I won't do anything but pencil drawing. And I know if I actually took the time my portraits would come out better. Thanks for the advice, it made sense to me and I'm going to try it the next time I attempt this. I'm going to the library today to get some books, and read on some techniques and what not. Im absolutely embarrassed by that last drawing I put up. THanks :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2007, 10:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by grammadidi
    To me, your images look great! As for your copyright process -
    Open your original image, push Shift + D to create a copy, close your original, resize your image. Make sure you resize your image before adding the text.
    Ohhhhhhhh.... wait... are you adding a layer? Gulp... did I neglect that? *Didi hangs head in shame* Oh, I wanted to address the soul sisters issue once more. I used to build and refinish step stools. When I saw your little computer leg rest I laughed out loud at yet another similarity.

Hugs, Didi

Hey there Soul Sister!! You are just a hoot! I love your phraseology! Yep, that was one step we missed! I bet that will make a huge difference. I wondered why I couldn't get the letters to all be dark or all be light. I haven't had a chance to go in and try this with this new information but just know I could not have put anything on there without your first set of instructions, so Didi, you did real good!! :) It is just uncanny the similarities isn't it?? I was hoping to see more of your art pieces. How about some of the step stools??

I sure hope your health issues get better. Take care of you! I will keep checking for more posts of your work throughout the week.
    Jan
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2007, 11:09 PM
    JREBEL -

NO you made sense - and yes, I do know part of my problem is , I DONT take my time, I rush and get frustrated. BUt I LOVE pencil drawing, I wont do anything but pencil drawing. And I know if I actually took the time my portraits would come out better. Thanks for the advice, it made sense to me and I'm going to try it the next time I attempt this. I'm going to the library today to get some books, and read on some techniques and what not. Im absolutely embarassed by that last drawing I put up. THanks :)
    EL... please do not, and I repeat NOT ever be embarrassed about posting your work here. This is all about sharing, learning, being excited about art and to encourage one another! :) I can tell you love pencils just by looking at your work. You have a lot of talent. It will help to get some books and if I can ever help you in any way regarding technique, just let me know. The other artists would be glad to help also. Every artists style is unique unto themselves. You would not want your work to be like anyone but yours but the books may give some guidelines that will help you in your endeavor! I am just proud of you for loveing art, posting and sharing. You can private message me anytime if you want to visit in more detail. I once worked for days on a drawing, had the eyes just right, the mouth exact, the shape of the face fairly correct and had worked some on the hair. After a bit of working on the hair, I hate to admit it but I took my pencil and just marked all the way across the whole piece. I wasn't angry with myself, I was just frustrated to have gotten that far with the piece and to be relatively okay with most of it only to ruin it in the last stages. BUT, it was definitely a learning experience. We learn, or I should say, I learn more by the mistakes I make on pieces than by anything else. I expect great things from you!! Keep posting! Have a great night! jrebel7
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2007, 11:20 PM
    I'm glad that you are enjoying this site so much, jrebel7! :)
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2007, 11:24 PM
    By-the-way, I just added you to my Buddy List, jrebel7!
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2007, 12:48 AM
    How are you, Didi? Are you okay?
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 01:23 AM
    How are you, Didi? Are you okay?
    Thank you for asking. I'm better this early morning than I was today. Topped the day off with a trip to the lawyer to do a new will and POA's (a relief that they are being done, but a blatant reminder that I am not going to live forever). Did the grocery shopping for the month (well, except for fresh fruit, veggies & milk), made pizza and garlic bread for supper, caught up on some emails from the women's group I am in (Women With a Unique Soul) and dabbled in here a bit.

It was a foggy, beautiful, warm, quiet and peaceful night, so I went for a walk with the dogs. The moon is very small right now and the mist appeared to be riding up to it in waves. I just love nights like this. Everything feels so close, yet so far away. The walk relieved a very bad cluster headache (I think this most recent about has been about 25 days out of 30 - very wearing).

Tomorrow night I am going to see one of my grandchildren receive an award at school. She is such a deep young lady (she will be 16 in January) yet full of life and humour. I am so proud of her because this year she has thrown aside her shyness and put herself out there and dared to be different.

I am working towards another painting, I think. I just need to capture a subject in my mind. I may actually try a barn owl or a cow, although I prefer forests, lakes and mountains. We'll see. I'm not very good at animals or people. Seeing the pencil drawings the past few days has made me want to try doing one of my deceased dog, Sam (Samantha). I've been really missing her lately. I think because she was so bright and I seem to have 2 dolts here! I wish I could have someone do one of her for me, but maybe I will gather up the courage to try myself. :)

I am still waiting for that promised email! Heh-heh. Hope all is well with you. I have missed hearing from you this week. (Well, despite the rave review you gave me on that thread! I hope you read my response.)

Well, I think I'm off to bed now. I have an early morning tomorrow. Goodnite... sweet dreams.

Hugs, Didi
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2007, 02:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by grammadidi
    Thank you for asking. I'm better this early morning than I was today. Topped the day off with a trip to the lawyer to do a new will and POA's (a relief that they are being done, but a blatant reminder that I am not going to live forever). Did the grocery shopping for the month (well, except for fresh fruit, veggies & milk), made pizza and garlic bread for supper, caught up on some emails from the women's group I am in (Women With a Unique Soul) and dabbled in here a bit.

It was a foggy, beautiful, warm, quiet and peaceful night, so I went for a walk with the dogs. The moon is very small right now and the mist appeared to be riding up to it in waves. I just love nights like this. Everything feels so close, yet so far away. The walk relieved a very bad cluster headache (I think this most recent bout has been about 25 days out of 30 - very wearing).

Tomorrow night I am going to see one of my grandchildren receive an award at school. She is such a deep young lady (she will be 16 in January) yet full of life and humour. I am so proud of her because this year she has thrown aside her shyness and put herself out there and dared to be different.

I am working towards another painting, I think. I just need to capture a subject in my mind. I may actually try a barn owl or a cow, although I prefer forests, lakes and mountains. We'll see. I'm not very good at animals or people. Seeing the pencil drawings the past few days has made me want to try doing one of my deceased dog, Sam (Samantha). I've been really missing her lately. I think because she was so bright and I seem to have 2 dolts here! I wish I could have someone do one of her for me, but maybe I will gather up the courage to try myself. :)

I am still waiting for that promised email! Heh-heh. Hope all is well with you. I have missed hearing from you this week. (Well, despite the rave review you gave me on that thread! I hope you read my response.)

Well, I think I'm off to bed now. I have an early morning tomorrow. Goodnite... sweet dreams.

Hugs, Didi
    I'm here!

You know what? I saw how much time you were spending here tonight ogling the attachments in this thread! Your profile wasn't going to lie about you!

As a matter of fact, I was just looking at that long email that you sent to me a number of days ago and was going to respond to you.

Thanks so much for sharing as to what is going on with you and your plans for some future art work. My plan in that area right now, is my musical involvement with things. I am also seriously thinking about the marketing of my thumb pianos as well as other small folk type instruments that I can make.

I think that all of the things that you do for animals could also be considered an art. The way pets are is so greatly determined by how their masters treat them. I would think the way that people do that with animals would be very much of an art.

It has been very incredibly rainy around here, tonight! Many hard downpours! The forecast for tomorrow even includes the possibility for tornadoes!

I know what you mean about missing the dog that passed away. I still miss one of my cats that died over three years ago. The best cat that I have ever had! Would even come when I called her!

You kind of scared me with your first statements in this post about the Will and POA's. But, it has to be done. I didn't get my will done until a friend nagged at me for over two years. Every time that I would complain to him about something that would be happening to me, he would say "Is your will up to date?" He was right! The fact was that I didn't even have a will. I am glad that he was all over my case about it though. It is now done, although I do need to update it. An ironic thing about that is, that my will was finally completed the day after my mother died. This coming December 14th will be the 10th anniversary of her passing. I played for, sang at and spoked some at her funeral.

Another thing about the promised email, Heh-heh, is that I finally did get around to answering a nice and long and very interesting post that you had done about pets in the Michelle thread.

As another possible avenue to explore concerning the dynamics of art and what it involves, on this thread, if you or anyone here might have some photos of where you do your creating, like in your studio and/or photos of your surrounding area/pets/dwellings/mountains/forests, etc. where you get your inspiration. Hmm? Come to think of it, I could be doing the same thing here with pictures of where I do my performing! If your like me, your studio might be all around your home. Mine is, with two grand pianos in the living room and I don't think that there is a single room in this house that does not have printed music in it; I have a whole array of other musical instruments...

Sorry! I'm getting a little wordy here!

Yes, I did read your response to the review. Thank you! :) You are one of the people here who give me inspiration to write things like that. I create more when I have inspiration.

I hope that you have a great time with your granddaughter tomorrow! Please keep me/us updated as to what is going on with you.

Hugs, Craig

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need the name of the artist [ 1 Answers ]

Who sings the song and/or the name of the song with the lyrics "tell me if you want me to"

Name of artist [ 1 Answers ]

its goes something like: it was me and you i thought we could nananana. something like that. HELP!:confused:

Where can an artist go... [ 1 Answers ]

Where can an artist go to interact with other musicians online? My girlfriend is an amazing singer/songwriter who also plays acoustic guitar but doesn't really know where she can find band members, etc. I was hoping that someone on here may know. She's got an amazing voice and can really put some...

Name the artist [ 2 Answers ]

I have just downloaded,f**k it(dont want you back) by eamon. I want to know the full name of his ex misses and the songs title she produced in reply to the above.

Need artist name [ 4 Answers ]

The song's name is Angel Its kind of a remake of madonna's It's a dance/electronica version

View more questions Search