Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaniatobe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2007, 02:36 PM
    Puppy gets jealous of attention to older dog
    We have a 6 year old beagle and we just brought home a 10 week old weimaraner/cocker mix. Whenever we pet or play with the older dog the puppy jumps on her or us then the older dogs just tries to avoid her and hides behind something. Any suggestions?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Keeping itself occupied is not a skill puppies come with. Likely until you picked it up it had its mother and litter mates to play with. The mother would have had to divide her time amount the puppies and would have wanted more time alone, but the puppies would have had a great time together. At 6 years old, the Beagle may not be interested in playing puppy biting games with a puppy approaching its size. You are just going to have to discipline the puppy to allow you and the older dog time together. Of course, it is very important to spend time with the older dog. Perhaps you may need to tuck the puppy in the crate at ties.

Have you looked at the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802
    kaniatobe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2007, 07:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kaniatobe
    We have a 6 year old beagle and we just brought home a 10 week old weimaraner/cocker mix. Whenever we pet or play with the older dog the puppy jumps on her or us then the older dogs just tries to avoid her and hides behind something. Any suggestions?
    Thanks we'll try that!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My older dog won't eat [ 7 Answers ]

I hope I'm using this correctly - I'm fairly new to internet conversations. My (soon to be) 16 year old dog stopped eating following medication for his cough caused by his heart murmur. We took him off the medicine when it elevated his BUN kidney results, but he has failed to return to a normal...

Puppy doesn't pay any attention [ 2 Answers ]

She does way better at using the bathroom (and even telling us she has to go) now! New problem though. Well, not new really, but anyway... she does not respond to her name at all! See, our other dog always comes when we call him or even just say his name. But she rarely even looks at us when we...

Older dog problems [ 5 Answers ]

My older dog has gone deaf, he is not eating properly and has started messing inside, he also seems lost and confused what should I do

Putting down an older dog [ 5 Answers ]

My poodle is over 15 years old. She is diabetic (2 shots a day) and is blind. She has reached the point where she wets everywhere, no matter how many times we take her out. We have "puppy pads" all over the house; she uses them all, but still wets on the carpet each day. It is embarrassing to...

Older dog [ 11 Answers ]

I am struggling with an older dog in my household. He is 17 so I am lucky he is still around. It is a male schnauzer. He eats with no problem, but goesn't always take the medication that he needs of 5 pills in the morning, and 4 in the evening. If he is hungry, he will devour them with his...

View more questions Search