Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    downrange Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Building a deck over concrete patio
    I am in process of building a deck over the top of and old concrete patio. I have just enough room to put girder against the concrete and then the joist on top of that. My question is, how do I fasten the gerder to the concrete? I was going to put a double girder in cause of the size of deck I am building with a 4x4 in between each set, normal the 4x4 would be set in to a concrete footing. But I am seting it on top the concrete already there? How do I fasten it to the concrete?
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Sep 27, 2007, 01:48 PM
    they make a 4x4 post anchor, it's a metal plate you fasten to the concrete and it has 2 lips with holes on each side, this is what you set you post into, and run screw into the metal thus into the 4x4

as far as fastening to concrete you'll need a hammerdrill and anchors, 1/2 anchors

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Building a Deck [ 6 Answers ]

I am building a deck of the second floor of my house. Me question is, how far of an over hang can a 2x8 joist handle? Meaning can I extend a 2x8 joist 3 feet over the support brace? 4 feet? Thank you

Concrete Patio [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to build a concrete paver patio in my yard. The problem is the septic tank cover will be in the middle of the patio. It will be raised about 1 inch above the patio pavers. I would like to build the patio over it but construct something that would allow easy access to the cover. ...

Wood Deck over Concrete Patio [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to build a deck over my concrete patio but the problem is I have only about 4 1/2 inches between between slab and top of concrete house slab. Therefore, I can only use 2x4s for supporting the low profile deck. All deck do it yourself books recommend a minimum 2x6 for deck joists. Is...

Covered patio on/near pool deck [ 1 Answers ]

I have been wanting to do a covered area of around part of my pool for sometime now. My backyard is quite small - the pool deck starts at the house and ends at the back fence. This will require me to put my posts on my pool deck. It is a cool deck (I think that's the right kind), it looks kind of...

Building a Deck on top of a cement patio [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning on building a ground level deck over an existing concrete patio, and am not sure where to begin. I am wondering what the best foundation would be for the deck. I found an article that suggested using a wall frame type set-up but wasn't sure if there was another route I should take,...

View more questions Search