Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wbp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Convert Table Saw from 110V to 220V
    I have a table saw (Sears Craftsman Professional, 1-3/4hp) that can be converted from 110v to 220v. Can I just use the 110v plug it came with and plug it into a normal 110v receptacle that is wired with two hot wires and a ground? (I've run 12/2 NM on a 20AMP CB). Aside from the obvious risk of accidentally plugging in a 110v tool into the newly 220v receptacle I can't see any other issues. Also, the manual says that the start switch is "4 pole" and will need to be modified, but it does not say how. How could changing the voltage of the motor alter the on/off switch? Any advice will help greatly!
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Sep 24, 2007, 10:04 AM
    DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE WIRE 220 to a 110V RECEPTACLE. THIS IS A DEATH WAITING TO HAPPEN. EITHER BY ELECTROCUTION OR FIRE!!

When I converted my table saw to run on 220, I went and bought a replacement cord at Depot. They had a 220v extension cord that had the correct plug on one end and I cut off the other end to attach it to the table saw.

I did need to change the switch to accept the load change,I just can't remember how. But, it was in the manual, if somewhat obscurely written.

Good Luck, Dan
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 10:12 AM
    I have been in rental houses that wired 220 to a 110 outlet --- what a shock..

Can not believe this is up to code?? Any way you need to run a 220 volt

Outlet with 220 volt plug wired to a 220 volt rated switch ( BOTH LEGS SWITCHED )

And then you can change motor to 220 volt... keep AMPERAGE in mind, breakers

And wire need to be rated for load of motor, depending on distance from breaker box
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2007, 10:19 AM
    The cord is fine, but buy a good quality 220V 20 A plug and a 220 20A receptacle. The motor MUST be rewired based on the nameplate instructions. The switch needs to have both hot legs switched. With 110 volts, only the blacks go to the switch. The other terminals on the switch need to switch the black wires.

Incidentally, the term poles seems to be used incorrectly. 4 terminals would make more sense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

220v to 110v [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing an electric stovetop. The one I removed had 4 wires.. red, black,white, and bare copper. The new one has 3.. black, red, and bare.. from what I have read here, the old system is a 220v/110v system... I assume that I hook up red to red, black to black, bare to ground. How...

Two 110v. To one 220v. [ 1 Answers ]

I need to change two 110 v. circuits coming into a garage to 220 v. to run an air compressor..

What is better to use 110V or 220V? [ 2 Answers ]

What is better to use 110V or 220V?

220v to 110v [ 2 Answers ]

How do I wire a 220v circuit to accept a 110v plug and play spa?

Is 220V better than 110V? [ 5 Answers ]

My pool pump is running at 110V. I noticed that I can change the wiring position and run it at 220V. Someone at work mentioned that 220V is more efficient. Would I see a savings on the electric bill? Is this true? The wires now are 12 gauge. Could I just change the breaker and the...

View more questions Search