Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GothicFairy20 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Sep 23, 2007, 11:25 PM
    Could it be cancer?
    About a month ago, for some unknown reason my armpits became very itchy. I dismissed it as maybe just having razor burn or something. Then about a week ago, I noticed a lump in my left armpit and since then a couple more have popped up around it. Then just this morning, I felt a lump on my right armpit. These lumps are very hard and tender, and I know they are not pimples because there are no heads on them and they are not bug bites because there are no openings of the skin anywhere. No skin discoloration either, besides it from being red because I scratch it when it itches. My boyfriend says it is just an infection and it will go away if I stop scratching. I know that a self breast exam for cancer involves the arm pit too, so should I be worried and go see a doctor, or listen to my boyfriend and shrug it off?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2007, 11:45 PM
    I have itchy armpits from time to time. Usually, I end up scratching like crazy. Then I end up getting the kind of bumps that you have, I think this is because I have irritated my lymph nodes because of my scratching. Mine bumps have normally have gone away after a few days. The bumps have caused great concern for me, just like they have for you.

I would say make sure that the area is as clean as possible. I don't know if you have done this, but also, if you might have been using a different deodorant than usual, you might want to discontinue using it. I think that changing deodorants has been some of my problem. Another thing, is that if you shave your armpits, you might want to quit doing that for a little while. If you do shave your armpits, maybe you have been using a different razor or solution for lubrication for the shaving? I have also found that some types of new clothing can also cause irritation to my armpits in such a way that I will want to scratch them a lot. I quit wearing the clothing that was causing the irritation.

Just some thoughts based upon my experience...

If the bumps don't go away in a few days after trying the above, then it would be best to see a physician.
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Sep 23, 2007, 11:51 PM
    Go to your ob. I had the same thing happen (I thought they were ingrown hairs) and they turn out to be cysts. You have to have them surgically removed (outpatient). It didn't hurt a bit. There is a little scar, but no problem since.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2007, 11:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rpg219
    I had the same thing happen (I thought they were ingrown hairs) and they turn out to be cysts.
    This could be possible also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does he have cancer? [ 4 Answers ]

Something's always been different about my boyfriend and I've never understood what it was that was different about him until last night when he confided everything in me. Basically he told me that his health is affecting everything he does, and that he knows something's wrong. We fear that it is...

Could this be cancer? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, my mom discovered some spots that are starting to appear. She goes tanning almost everyday but has quit since she noticed this: picture is here Thanks

Cervical cancer [ 17 Answers ]

I am so confused about cervical cancer. Firstly how do men get the virus to pass it on? Is it through sex? Because, I am planning to have sex with someone, we are both virgins. He has never had or given oral to anyone which I am sure can spread something. Obviously has kissed other people (...

Cancer [ 4 Answers ]

My husband had cancer three years ago. The treatment they gave him caused him to have hearing loss and a little short term memory loss. Lately I am finding that his memory loss seems to be getting worse. He had the treatment at the VA and it was an experimental kind, since they didn't think he...

Cancer [ 8 Answers ]

I am a 12 year old Autistic (Asperger's) female, and I have been noticing some things going on with my right breast lately. It looks like it has been bruised up, my nipple is wrinked. I have been noticing discharge on my breast. I have had my meds. Switched from Risperdal to Geodon. Which...

View more questions Search