Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zqueez Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2007, 10:07 PM
    Can someone check my answers?
    The Energy Council of a western state consists of four people, two of who are in favor of nuclear power generation, two opposed. The governor must select two members from the council to represent their state at a regional energy-planning conference. The two representatives are chosen at random by the governor.

List the simple events contained in the following events:
    S: The sample space
    A: Exactly one pro-nuclear power council member is chosen as a representative
    B: Exactly two pro-nuclear power council members are chosen
    C: Both anti-nuclear power council members are chosen.

(a) S: Sample space is all possible events. Sample space equals 12.
    (b) Find the probabilities of events A, B, C, AB, AC, and AUB.

(b) Probability of event A is 67%.
    Probability of event B is 17%.
    Probability of event C is 17%.

Probability of event AB is 2 of 12 or 17%.
    Probability of event AC is 2 of 12 or 17%.
    Probability of event AUB is [P(A) + P(B)] – P(AB); (.67+.17)-.17 = .67

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 24, 2007, 06:22 AM
    I'll help you with a couple to get you started, then you can do the rest.

There are 4 ways the two representatives for the conference can be chosen:

Pro, Pro
    Pro, Anti
    Anti, Pro
    Anti, Anti

So, the probability of event A (exactly 1 pro is chosen) is 2/4, or 50%

When they ask what is the probability of AC, I take that to mean what is the probability of event A and event C occurring together, that is P(A&C) - is that right? If so, then the question can be stated: what is the probability of exactly 1 Pro being chosen (which means that one Anti is also chosen) and exactly 2 Antis being chosen (i.e. no Pros)? Clearly that's impossible, so the P(A&C) is 0.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need a few answers [ 19 Answers ]

Ok, well my girlfriend dumped me a few weeks ago, we were almost 4 years together. I am 20 now she is 19. To keep the story short, it was unexpected and I still cannot find a concrete reason as to why she did it, I am thinking it could be psychological on her part. I have read various stories on...

Environmental science I need answers so I can check mine [ 3 Answers ]

1. What do decomposers do? a. eat producers b. eat consumers c. make food d. break down dead organisms Answer... D? 2. Which of the following do organisms compete for?

Any answers ? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Okay, just over two weeks ago I noticed a brownish discharge coming from me. Then last week I got my period (just like scheduled because I am on birth control) and now my period is gone and this brown stuff is back again... any answers??

Please check my answers [ 2 Answers ]

I can't balance the last one A. Synthesis Mg+H2O -> NH3 B Decomposition CuCO3 -> CuO + CO2 C. Single Displacement Zn + 2HCl -> ZnCl2 +H2

Need answers [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. My question is, I have been living with my boyfriend in his home for 14 years. We have a 12 year old daughter together. Does he have the right to throw me out whenever we have a fight?

View more questions Search