Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lostlove23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2007, 09:45 PM
    16 going on 17 want to be emancipated for many reasons.
    I am 16 going to be 17 in a couple months I live in a small little town in Indiana and I don't know what to do... my father is going into debt he is going to lose his house and everything he has... and my mom also is going through the same thing... neither one of them have the money to really support me (im not being neglected but they would have less problems if they didn't have to worry about supporting me)... I have a good job and I go to school full time... my family doesn't like my boyfriend/ fiancé and they have forbid me to see or talk to him but I love him sooo much that they can't stop me... (that sound bad but that's how much I love him) he is 21... yea it might sound bad now 21 and 16 but in four year it won't... 25 and 20 not bad at all right? And we have been together for a while now and we still have not done anything... seriously if he was just with me to have sex and he hasn't got it yet would he still be with me? Probably not!. and he also has a job and a home... can I get emancipated and live with him legally or emancipated using these terms... for my family and for him?? And how... PLEASE HELP ME!
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Sep 24, 2007, 12:26 AM
    Well, it sounds to me that you are doing it for the wrong reasons. If you were really wanting to do it to help your parents' financial situation, then you could offer to take care of you own bills or help with the bills (considering you have a job and all). It would also better prepare you for the real world. Seriously, do you want to emancipate yourself away from your parents all for some puppy love (so to speak). What will happen when things don't work out between the two of you? Will you have to resort to crawling back to those emancipated parents for help and a place to live? Just think hard about what you're considering.
    LEILA007 Posts: 29, Reputation: 7

Sep 24, 2007, 05:20 AM
    In order to be considered for emancipation you would need to show a level of maturity and with the way your speaking they would probably have your boyfriend in trouble for his age. You are making excuses about your families financial problems to get a free pass with your boyfriend. Is hurting your parents worth that. Its like divorcing your parents they will no longer have anyresponsibilites where you are concerned. So if you want college they can't be used for finincial aid for they would be leagally not responsible. You need to start making some smarter decisions. You don't seem as though you are mature enough to be on your own, and I'm sure a judge will feel the same..

Remember family comes first they will always be there.

How much can a 21yr old have in common with a 16yr old.. that should answer your question.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 24, 2007, 05:42 AM
    Emanicpation means living on your OWN, not moving in with your boyfriend. Also, dependng on where you live, your boyfriend could be arrested if you do. Try helping your family by contributing to the household, both monetarily and helping out in other ways.

In even 2 years, the age difference won't matter (23-18) but now it does.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Sep 25, 2007, 06:33 AM
    What everyone is saying is correct. Depending on your state, its likely that 16 (even 17) could put your boyfriend in jail for being with you.

I was in your shoes once and I know the feeling of wanting to leave in order to "help" your parents. That SOUNDS like a good idea at the time, but it isn't. They would be destroyed with out you. If you really do want to help them, get a part time job and offer to pay the phone or Internet bill... something. Even offer to do extra chores or just focus on school. Without a full time job and maturity factors, its highly unlikely that a judge would grant you emancipation anyway. Moving in with an adult would not get a judge to side with your case. Its very difficult for a child your age to actually become legally emancipated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Emancipated [ 6 Answers ]

Hi my name is Brittany.I'm 16yrs old and about to have a baby. I'm writing to ask how do I get emancipated. I've heard that as long as I have a job, a place to stay, show that I can take care of myself without my parents, and have a good reason why I want to get emancipated than I can. I have a...

Thinking about getting Emancipated [ 9 Answers ]

I am 16 years old and I am tired of living at home. I get into fights with my dad (who is very good at psychological abuse) and whenever this happens, I am forced to my room for days on end. Usually the only thing I come out for is to go to school. Recently, my boyfriend (who is older than I am)...

To be emancipated in INdiana. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I am 16 And will turn 17 in 5 days. My parents are really mantally and sometimes physically abusive to me I have other brothers but I'm the oldest and the only one who gets the abuse. I can't even ask a question without my dad getting mad and yelling and sometimes if he gets mad to fast he...

I wants emancipated from my home [ 7 Answers ]

I am 15 will be 16 dec. 18 my mom died when I was 10 and dad is dying of cancer. I get a check each month and see non of it. I want to start my life now before he leaves me in a hole some one please help me... I live in Indiana so if you know anything please help

21 years-old... am I emancipated? [ 2 Answers ]

I am almost 20 years-old, and I live in Indiana. I was accepted to my college of choice with a scholarship, but they expect a certain "family contribution," which my parents do not have. Will I be automatically emancipated from my parents when I turn 21? I would be able to receive the money I need...

View more questions Search