Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Biggie Posts: 99, Reputation: 10

Sep 23, 2007, 08:27 PM
    What is the advantage of going to church as opposed to not going?
    I can see why most people go to church. They like to be amongst fellow believers and fellowship with them. I've been a Christian for quite some time, but have never been one to attend church. I haven't attended since the late 1980s. I'm a single guy that doesn't like to be around people, no matter what the circumstances are. People tell me that I need to find a good church to go to. I just don't see the point. I'm saved and that's what really matters in the end. I'll be judged on my faith and acceptance of Jesus Christ, not some building I went to every Sunday.
    MoonlitWaves Posts: 171, Reputation: 52

Sep 23, 2007, 09:03 PM
    I see what you are saying. I, like you, haven't gone to church in a while. There was a point in time for me when I didn't feel the fire I once felt. Hypocrites, gossipers they are in every church. My church had gotten bad at one time. It was small as it was, and almost half of the members left due to judgements, hypocrites and gossipers. Can't say as I blame them. Who wants to be in Christian fellowship with people like that? Knowing what happened helped me lose the fire. I know it shouldn't have, but I'm not perfect. We lost some members who played instruments so we were singing a capella most of time. I don't really know how to describe it, it just wasn't the same. Anyone who does attend church can tell you that a great gospel song can move you in indescribable ways. That along with other things... it just had me feeling... blah at church. I ended up gradually stopping church altogether. I know that you do not go to church for the people. But people can most definitely make the visit unpleasureable as time goes on. I know I have should have searched for another church. The point is.. I understand what you are saying. Church is not going to get you into Heaven. As you said, your faith and acceptance of Christ will. I will tell you this though. When I did go to church I was stronger in Christ. It was easier to turn away from temptation, harder to sin so easily.. like say cursing, or sinning after contemplation. It was easier to do what is right, I was doing it without thinking... like not cursing, or even thinking of doing sinful things I used too. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I didn't sin. I am just saying that I didn't seem to do it as much.. habitual sinning would be a decent word for what I am trying to say. Also, I am not saying that you can't be just as good out of church as in it. I'm saying that my ability to do better in Christ while I was in church, be it regarding sin, spiritual growth, etc. is God's way of showing me that I am better off in church and should be there.
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Sep 24, 2007, 12:12 PM
    What about taking communion?
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 02:12 PM
    You have to get out of your head and get *new Christian input*. You are probably stagnating. Am I right?

Cordially,
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Sep 24, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie
    I can see why most people go to church. They like to be amongst fellow believers and fellowship with them. I've been a Christian for quite some time, but have never been one to attend church. I haven't attended since the late 1980s. I'm a single guy that doesn't like to be around people, no matter what the circumstances are. People tell me that I need to find a good church to go to. I just don't see the point. I'm saved and that's what really matters in the end. I'll be judged on my faith and acceptance of Jesus Christ, not some building I went to every Sunday.

As far as salvation goes I don't think church is needed. My mother doesn't attend church either and is very strong in her faith. Although I do, at times, see areas in her life that would benefit from the support, prayer and encouragement of fellow believers. With all that said, have you looked at joining a small group attached to a church instead?
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Sep 24, 2007, 09:09 PM
    I think you should go to church because you need to fellowship with other belivers. Have you ever hear " Where ever two or more are gathered in My name. There i shall be"? (Paraphrase from the bible. I don't remember where it is.)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 24, 2007, 09:28 PM
    Well for one, the bible tells us not to forsake the gathering together, and it was so important to the early chirstians they risk death to meet many times.

It is the lax freedom of religion that makes us not respect the honor and duty to go and be with fellow christians.

Sep 24, 2007, 09:32 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Very true
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Sep 24, 2007, 09:37 PM
    fallen2grace I agree with you ;)
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Sep 24, 2007, 11:42 PM
    Well, here's how I see it.
    When I miss church/youth for a few weeks in a row, my life starts to go downhill.
    Yeah, some churches have a few bad eggs, one of my friends was in a church where the new pastor was calling her a satanist because she wore black and red and listened to dark/emo sort of music.
    Yet, you can, and will if you try, find the right church for you, like I have
    The church I'm in is so amazing, they have helped me so much, and on sundays (I have been pretty slack on Sunday church lately) its like, I go in there, and can't wait to hear the senior pastor speak, because I know ill learn something new about god and how to serve him and others. And worship! Worship brings a smile to my face when all else fails.
    Edit- also, I forgot to add, when you are a lone christian, you are not helping to build up other christians and not helping the community as much as you can in a church. In a church, you can grow and learn and pray with other christians, and also do much for the community and for others, and find your special place in the world, your special role, whether it be singing in the church band, preaching, or just helping to stack the chairs occasionally.
    Leidenschaftlich für Wahr Posts: 243, Reputation: 46

Sep 24, 2007, 11:48 PM
    I know how you feel. I love God, but somehow I don't feel that love in the Church that Im attending. Sadly the man ill be marrying in 4 days insists that I go to the same church as him.
    Church, the concept, the church that Christ intended... is a great thing. What man has done to it sucks.
    People suck.
    They get all high and mighty about how much they are NOT doing then they judge you for not raising your hands or because I smoke a black and mild every 2 or 3 weeks.

I don't know man, let me know what you find out...

Sep 24, 2007, 11:51 PM
    Dude, you cannot let anyone force you into any place of faith!
    Even if you are going to marry them, you must go to whatever place you feel comfortable and wherever you feel you belong.
    otto186 Posts: 152, Reputation: 14

Sep 25, 2007, 12:15 AM
    Myself I am a atheist, but if I did pray I don't think me praying in a church wouldn't be any better then praying by yourself at home. I guess as long as you pray then that's all that matters.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2007, 12:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man
    With all that said, have you looked at joining a small group attached to a church instead?
    I really like the idea above! As a Christian, I personally think that Christians need the support of others like themselves. Without that, it is easy to fall... Communal prayer, study and worship are all very important components of supporting and maintaining ones faith.
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Sep 25, 2007, 08:14 AM
    Biggie, just be careful. Put on the armor of God each day and don't become so disconnected that Satan can easily "pick you off" and get you completely off track. You sound very strong in your faith; Gob bless.
    paintinggordo Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Sep 25, 2007, 08:59 AM
    I used to be like that. Be its all about having faith. The church I go to we go everyday 5:00am, 9:00am, and 7:00 pm. At our church we know everyone since we see each other every day. Its like a big family and there is times when some talk about you or look at you bad or what ever. What I do is ignore them because I know that God gives us everything we need and more. So why shouldn't we give one hour of our day to thank him for that day and to give us strength for the next day. Those people you could act like they are not there because if you go to church its not for them but for you and God. The more you pay attention to them the more it will get to you and God sees what you are more interested in them then his word. My Church is all over the world you its called the Light of the World look it up if you ever have time.(La Luz Del Mundo.com)
    Leidenschaftlich für Wahr Posts: 243, Reputation: 46

Sep 25, 2007, 09:57 AM
    Its just so hard. Ive grown up in churches all my life, and every one you end up finding out that the leader of the small group just got eaten out the night before by the music minister, or that the PASTOR SMOKES WEED?! Or that people plain out just think they are a better christian than you are.
    Mind you that this has not caused me to waver my faith in Christ. Christ is absolutely infallible, sadly though the people that call themselves his followers are the main contradiction to the faith.

Sep 26, 2007, 05:26 AM
    Not every church is like that, and in reference to before, yer, you got to respect your spouses wishs (note that I say spouses, not husbands, respect should be equal both ways! The husband should respect wives wishes as much as she respects his) but no one, no one, comes before a persons faith/preferences in reference to beliefs.
    What if your husband was a satanist? Or in one of those bad churches you speak of? Respect wishs yes, doesn't mean you have to bend to them all.
    Edit- negative rep me as much as you want, I don't care about rep, I'm not in this to get rep, or recognition, or compliments. I answer questions on this site for the aim of helping people. The reason I'm saying this whole thing about church is because I know it to be true in my heart. Going to a church should be only for one reason- for god. Going because of some person you like or love is the wrong reason, I know that from my own personal experience and from my relationship with god.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 26, 2007, 06:11 AM
    1. Long before marriage, a couple has to agree on their religious faith if they don't want problems. This is why many churches stress so highly dating within your faith, if you are strong in it.

2. You should NEVER, force a spouse to go to church, you go and be an example for the other. Someone being forced gets nothing out of the service.

3. as for as prayer, yes some of my best prayer time and my closeness with God has been alone on the beach. I can't believe anyone can watch the ocean and not believe there is at some some greater power.

4. But fellowship with other christians has nothing to do with what sins they have done, or what the paster is like, and it should be a lot more than just a one hour service a week, fellowship is being part of a family with the members at church, knowing them, visiting them during the week if possible, helping if one is sick. That is what a true church membership is.

Sep 26, 2007, 04:00 PM
    Thanks Biggie!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advantage and disadvantage [ 4 Answers ]

I am doing an assignment on unions. What are some advantages of being in a union? And What are some disadvantages of being in a union?

Taken advantage of [ 7 Answers ]

I am a bisexual female, and I have many problems but one of the most frequent and hurtful problems is that I am always getting taken advantage of by guys. I like talking, I like experimenting, I like being different and actually listening to what they have to say, and so far that hasn't worked for...

Why do Union members vote for candidates that opposed the Border Fence? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm curious. It seems as if the same politicians that want amnesty for illegals seem to be endorsed by the unions. It doesn't make sense. Those same illegals would soon take their jobs. Politicians seem to have taken the unions for granted. So my question is : Why do Union members vote for...

View more questions Search