Ask
    phildebenham Posts: 95, Reputation: 9

Oct 2, 2005, 10:22 PM
    Trinity
    How do you define the Trinity?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2005, 02:42 AM
    There is one God. The Trinity is the word the early church chose to affirm God's three "Persons": The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit.

They are truly distinct one from another, co-eternal and co-equal: all are uncreated and omnipotent.
    SSchultz0956 Posts: 121, Reputation: 10

Oct 4, 2005, 09:30 AM
    Trinity
    Interestingly, many see three as one. When Chirst was baptized, He was on the earth, God spoke from heaven and the Holy Ghost came down in the form of a dove. Three different beings in three different places doing three different things. Why would Christ pray to himself? Why did Stephen in Act see Christ standing on the right hand of God? They are one, but in purpose. Their sole purpose is to bring to pass eternal salvation for all mankind. Thus they are one, but three.
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2005, 09:42 AM
    We can only go so far in using human terminology to describe a truth that we recognize.
    SSchultz0956 Posts: 121, Reputation: 10

Oct 4, 2005, 10:38 AM
    Human terminology
    Fortunately we do have human terminology. That's why there are religious creeds that state that we cannot comprehend God, yet we are commanded by Christ to know God. For it is eternal life to know the only true God. If we can't rely on the words of PROPHETS, who speak through the holy spirit, then we will never get to know God. God said he will reveal all his truth through his servants the prophets, thus, what the prophets say comes from God. That's why I declare that we can know God; and He, Christ, and the Holy Spirit are distinct individuals. The bible states God cannot die, yet Christ died and achieved godhood through his resurrection. How did Christ commend his spirit to himself? He didn't. How does God leave immortality to mortality to only becom mortal again? He didn't. Further if we only rely on the prophets words as the words of "men" then we may as well not evenread the scriptures. As far as I am concerned, the prophets speak the word of God. One must leave the indoctrinations that they have been taught throughout their life an critically analyze what things actually are. The fact that people cannot do this explains why most of the christian world reacts to different ideas in the way the Jews reacted to Christ. Let's explore things before we denounce them.
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2005, 10:43 AM
    What have I missed?

Was something denounced in this thread?

Oct 4, 2005, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SSchultz0956
    Interestingly, many see three as one. When Chirst was baptized, He was on the earth, God spoke from heaven and the Holy Ghost came down in the form of a dove. Three different beings in three diferent places doing three different things. Why would Christ pray to himself? Why did Stephen in Act see Christ standing on the right hand of God? They are one, but in purpose. Their sole purpose is to bring to pass eternal salvation for all mankind. Thus they are one, but three.
    Forgive me, I am not trying to be obstinate, but I ask for a definition not a discussion ( I am willing to discuss it, but that was not my purpose for posting the query). My question is what is your definition of the term "trinity." For the purposes of this query it is not important to me whether you believe in the Trinity or not.

Thank you,

Phil

Oct 4, 2005, 07:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    What have I missed?

Was something denounced in this thread?
    No.

Phil
    Bobbye Posts: 41, Reputation: 4

Oct 6, 2005, 11:33 AM
    The Trinity!
    "Three Distinct Persons" in "Three Distinct Offices," BUT "One God."

Just as we have TWO people in ONE marriage, we have Three (Trinity) WHO COMPRISE THE "GODHEAD!" ONE GODHEAD -- ONE GOD!

Be blessed and "thanks" for the prayers during
    The storm! But God! Our city of 5MM were spared!

Be blessed,
    Bobbye

Oct 6, 2005, 07:11 PM
    Glad everything is well with you Bobbye!

Be blessed,

Phil
    STONY Posts: 82, Reputation: 11

Oct 11, 2005, 06:37 AM
    Describing The Trinity...
    I Guess The Simplest Definition Would Be Three Personalities Of One God Head. There Is The All-loving Father Trying To Gather Together His Family, The Son Who Made A Way For Redemption And Reconcilliation To The Father And The Holy Spirit Who Moves On The Face Of The Earth And Brings To Pass The Will Of The Father.

Oct 11, 2005, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by STONY
    I Guess The Simplest Definition Would Be Three Personalities Of One God Head. There Is The All-loving Father Trying To Gather Together His Family, The Son Who Made A Way For Redemption And Reconcilliation To The Father And The Holy Spirit Who Moves On The Face Of The Earth And Brings To Pass The Will Of The Father.
    Thanks Tony.

I wish one of the Jehovah's Witnesses would provide me a definition as well. I would very much like their take on the subject.

Phil
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2005, 08:54 AM
    JH's do not follow the doctrine of the Trinity. They teach that Satan is the author of the doctrine of the Trinity.
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2005, 08:58 AM
    PS: Click here to see what they say on their site about the Trinity.

Sadly, they, like so many others, ignore history and translate the Bible as they see fit.

Oct 11, 2005, 08:09 PM
    PS: Click here to see what they say on their site about the Trinity.

Sadly, they, like so many others, ignore history and translate the Bible as they see fit.
    I know what the WTBTS teaches. I was hoping that a JW would offer a definition all by his/her lonesome. They do not have to believe in the doctrine of the Trinity to define it.
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Oct 26, 2005, 04:58 PM
    Trinity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbye
    "Three Distinct Persons" in "Three Distinct Offices," BUT "One God."

Just as we have TWO people in ONE marriage, we have Three (Trinity) WHO COMPRISE THE "GODHEAD!" ONE GODHEAD -- ONE GOD!

Be blessed and "thanks" for the prayers during
    the storm! But God! Our city of 5MM were spared!

Be blessed,
    bobbye

Does your example work as well as you wish it to? Partners in ONE marriage are still separate individuals and one is not the other or vice versa. The Trinity is based on the teaching that there is no separation between God, Jesus and Spirit, but that all three are the same, indivisible, of one substance. Partners in a marriage are separate, divisible, individual, each having their own independent and separate will, not of the same physical substance, and not confused with each other because they maintain their identities

Do you suggests that God, Jesus and Spirit are tree identifiable and separate entities who are one because of their divine relationship, but still three distinct beings or personalities?

MORGANITE

Nov 1, 2005, 08:39 AM
    Interestingly, many see three as one. When Chirst was baptized, He was on the earth, God spoke from heaven and the Holy Ghost came down in the form of a dove. Three different beings in three diferent places doing three different things. Why would Christ pray to himself? Why did Stephen in Act see Christ standing on the right hand of God? They are one, but in purpose. Their sole purpose is to bring to pass eternal salvation for all mankind. Thus they are one, but three.
    Do you, therefore, see three distinct gods all having the same purpose?

Nov 1, 2005, 08:41 AM
    There is one God. The Trinity is the word the early church chose to affirm God's three "Persons": The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit.

They are truly distinct one from another, co-eternal and co-equal: all are uncreated and omnipotent.
    A good definition, thank you. I am sorry, but I do not "rate" posts. I appreciate your answers and will agree or disagree with them, but I do not feel I should rate them.

Be blessed,

Phil

Nov 1, 2005, 08:44 AM
    We can only go so far in using human terminology to describe a truth that we recognize.
    I ask for nothing more.

Nov 1, 2005, 08:49 AM
    Fortunately we do have human terminology. That's why there are religious creeds that state that we cannot comprehend God, yet we are commanded by Christ to know God. For it is eternal life to know the only true God. If we can't rely on the words of PROPHETS, who speak through the holy spirit, then we will never get to know God. God said he will reveal all his truth through his servants the prophets, thus, what the prophets say comes from God. That's why i declare that we can know God; and He, Christ, and the Holy Spirit are distinct individuals. The bible states God cannot die, yet Christ died and achieved godhood through his ressurection. How did Christ commend his spirit to himself? He didn't. How does God leave immortality to mortality to only becom mortal again? He didn't. Further if we only rely on the prophets words as the words of "men" then we may as well not evenread the scriptures. As far as i am concerned, the prophets speak the word of God. One must leave the indoctrinations that they have been taught throughout their life an critically analyze what things actually are. the fact that people cannot do this explains why most of the christian world reacts to different ideas in the way the Jews reacted to Christ. Let's explore things before we denounce them.
    Where in the bible does it say that Christ achieved "godhood" through His resurection?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search