Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2007, 07:46 PM
    The key is supposed to sheer when stressed.

Talk about a Rube Goldberg flywheel puller: http://ohmelovelo.dnsalias.org/tools...eelPuller1.jpg

Looks like you hit the center bolt with a dead blow hammer.

Here is Briggs info on inspecting the flywheel key:
    How is the flywheel and key inspected?

Use Carb cleaner for starting fluid.

I guess, you didn't get the nut off?

Your test: Second, taking spark plug out, turning flywheel around confirmed piston reaches top when magnet hits coil, seems to suggest flywheel key still in place isn't 100% valid unless you know what part of the stroke the engine is in and you'd need a compression tester or you need to be able to watch the valves.

Spraying into the spark plug it will only sputter once or so. That might confirm timing is OK and you have a fuel delivery problem. Do you think it's flooding or not getting gas because of debris in the tank holding the carb fuel valve open or closed?

If you remove the plug wire and try to start it, is the plug wet which would confirm fuel?

Remember, you need fuel, spark, oxygen as a first level diagnostic. Compression can be a little harder to check depending on the engine. Some engines won't show compression unless turned backwards.
    ny4fun Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 05:09 AM
    I am still at a total loss about the flywheel key. I did take off the nut, and the big washer under it, and was able to see the key in the flywheel keyway. The weird thing is I did not hit anything hard. I engaged it probably 20sec earlier than I normally do, it died till today.

That's quite a puller of your picture! I doubt I can make that (need to gradually build up my tools). Will look around the tractor shops for both a wrench and puller.

About my test of piston movement, I forgot to mention earlier I thought I should get the piston up at 180 degree from the magnet, but did not, and still wonders why and how to push the exhaust out?

Spraying into the carb hole, I was trying to see whether it would sputter a few times, that would indicate problem is with the carb, not delivering fuel. But, no, it did the same, stalled instantly when key is released, which somehow seems to indicate fuel gone into the engine but might be blocked by the intake valve?

I have strong sparks, can't be sure about fuel delivery including intake valve, and not sure about oxygen either, since it would not attempt to start if not at choke, no matter how loud it cranks.

I need to clear up flywheel key question first, and then look into the valves. Boy, I'm a first timer, with barely any tool, and worse barely any knowledge before I ventured into fixing the tractor, and so glad that you and mm are here giving me guidance!
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2007, 06:29 AM
    Well, the flywheel key could be the problem here. If this is an ohv engine, you can remove the tappet cover(valve cover that has ohv on it). And set the engine at tdc and then turn the flywheel another 1/4 INCH clockwise, and set the valves. BUT to do this, the flywheel key has to be correct and not sheared.

Oct 15, 2007, 06:04 PM
    After several trips to local tractor shops, auto parts, Sears/Walmart, I realized a flywheel puller that fits my engine isn't that easy to find. Didn't get a wrench that can hold the flywheel either (to put it back together once done). Anyhow, didn't do much in the past 10 days. Talk to a number of folks in the local shops, and heard different suspects. One was quite sure it's electrical, while another suspected fuel pump, and others of course, the flywheel key. I guess I'll need to figure out a way to isolate one at a time.
    I probably wasn't clear enough on the start. It starts on choke always like normal, but doesn't run at all, and dies instantly when key is released, suggesting 1) timing off, couldn't deliver the momentum to run, or 2) not enough fuel to keep it going (blocked fuel delivery), or 3) electrical fault under seat which could cut off fuel delivery in circuits, or 4) sparks too weak (my sparks like bright yellowish, no where close to blue color).
    Any more ideas or comments based on above?
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Any possibility it's the ignition switch?

Like, it can spark when cranking and stop when the ignition switch is in the on position?

I'm not sure, if the ignition switch works like a car. In a car, during crank one terminal gets powered and another looses power. The terminal that looses power is connected to non essential loads like the radio. Ever notice that the radio goes off while your cranking.
    The terminal that stays powered runs things like the ignition system.

One is ACC and is usually the terminal that looses power when cranked.

Can you post a schematic or a link to one?

BTW: The parts diagram is on www3.sears.com

MM: Help!
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2007, 09:17 PM
    I looked at the diagram and I have another suggestion:

Take out the plug and fasten it so you can see the spark. Put the ignition in the ON position.
    Jump the solenoid terminals carefully with a screwdriver and see if there is spark at the plug while cranking.

Oct 16, 2007, 07:23 PM
    Yeah, ignition switch is a suspect, and I'll need to figure it out a way to test or just order a new one from Sears. You and MM warned me earlier not to fry it.

I don't have a separate switch on position. It is the crank position when key is released. Did try to see whether there is any spark by using hand to spin the flywheel by the coil, did not see any spark. But was thinking maybe I wasn't spinning the flywheel fast enough to generate enough voltage for the spark.

Here is what the Carb looks like and a schematic. Not sure whether the thing below the carb is fuel pump or what.
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2007, 08:42 PM
    So, it's off, on and crank. What you have to do is put ignition switch in ON and crank using some other method: Jump the start terminal on the ignition switch. Make the starter solenoid go using the low current side or make the starter go using the high current side.
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2007, 08:52 PM
    Jump white on the solenoid to battery when the ignition switch is ON. This bypasses all interlocks, so be careful.

The flywheel key is iffy. Lets assume it's OK.
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2007, 09:04 PM
    The thing on the bottom of the carb has to be fuel cut. Where is the other wire?

The Kohler engine is on www3.sears.com under model CV16.5S-43527.

You can post pics directly on this site. Use the "Go adv.anced" tab. And remember to select and download. Good free picture cropping software is "Irfanview"
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2007, 07:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ny4fun
    Yeah, ignition switch is a suspect, and I'll need to figure it out a way to test or just order a new one from Sears. You and MM warned me earlier not to fry it.

I don't have a separate switch on position. It is the crank position when key is released. Did try to see whether there is any spark by using hand to spin the flywheel by the coil, did not see any spark. But was thinking maybe I wasn't spinning the flywheel fast enough to generate enough voltage for the spark.

Here is what the Carb looks like and a schematic. Not sure whether the thing below the carb is fuel pump or what.
    No that is not a fuel pump, that is the anti-after fire (fuel shut off solenoid), to test, remove from carb bowl, reconnect wires, hold against a grounded area of the engine and turn the key, it should have a plunger looking pin in the center that will retract downwards toward the body of the fuel solenoid when the key is activated.
    JOHNFITZ Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2007, 02:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ny4fun
    Hope you experts out there can give me some clues before I become desperate and turn to a pro. Here is some info about the tractor and what I have done so far:

This is a 1999 Kohler electric start 42' mower, bought new in 2001, model 917.271141. I have replaced oil filter, air filter/screen, fuel filter, and spark plug. It does start with choke, but dies instantly once release the key or shift to full throttle. Inside carb, choke & throttle adjustments seem to work just fine, and sparks look ok but a little suspicious, since no sparks at all as soon as key is released. Also, while inspecting sparks with plug out, don't see any fuel mixture puffing. However, when I try to start again, always get backfires with a bang (thought indicating no fuel line issue). Inspected all three switches (seat, engage and brake), they seem to function as supposed to (but not sure if any electrical fault). The gaskets between the carb and engine are fairly worn and a little dirty and will be replaced. After all above, with fresh fuel, still no luck. The very last time it started with some difficulty (after a few tries) and when I engaged the mower, it died.

I'm a total novice, never opened an engine and not even sure how the fuel is pumped (don't seem to have a pump, but don't fully understand my carb either). Short of opening up the engine, is there anything simple that I can do before turn over to a pro? Could it be gum caused valve sticking? Help!

- ny4fun
    It seams like you have two problems (the one where the engine dies when you release the key is probably a short in the kill circuit. Try disconnectiong the kill wire that goes to the ignition coil and if it stays running check the seat switch first. The second one where you get it to run abd it dies is probably the carburator adjustments or the carburator needs to be cleaned (some time two or three cleanings with acitone mite correct the problem) of course the initial settings on the carb-is a good place to start
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2007, 04:09 PM
    Where have we gotten to on this unit?
    wild bill 55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2013, 02:17 PM
    My regulator on the Craftsman 917.271141 Kohler engine CV16.5s I think is bad. The original part has five wires coming out of a black box. Three go to the igniter and two go elsewhere. The replacement part shows only three prongs. Can someone tell me that is correct

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman 8.5hp chipper/shredder [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to remove the heavy, castiron impeller from the crankshaft? I have the protective housing removed and can't figure out how the impeller slides off the shaft. Any ideas?

Craftsman lawn tractor model 917270910 won't start [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman Lawn tractor model number 917270910. It will not start. I tried a new battery even though the one on it checked out okay. It will not even turn over. I replaced the fuse but the original looked fine. What else should I do?

Craftsman lawn tractor 19.5 Briggs twin engine won't start. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Last time I used this mower was about 3 months ago, ran it out of gas and left It (covered). Tried to start it yesterday after putting in about 3 gallons of new gas And it will crank fine but not start.. I took off the air cleaner and trickled in a bit of gas And it started to run and...

Craftsman 20.0 electric start 42 inch automatic lawn tractor mower clutch [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Craftsman 20.0 hp electric start 42" mower automatic lawn tractor Model 917.270940 and it appears the cable that allows you to engage the blades has broken. How do you either fix this problem or do we need to purchase a new cable. If we need a new cable how is it installed... I need...

Craftsman 20.5hp electric clutch overdrawing? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My Craftsman 20.5hp 50" deck tractor just got a battery a couple months ago and it seems to have trouble keeping it charged. I noticed that the Amp meter shows charging when the deck is disengaged but when the clutch is engaged it is discharging handily. Is an overdrawing clutch a known or...

View more questions Search