mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Sep 27, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    Liar, you aren't sorry! :D

You are correct!

Sep 27, 2007, 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Isn't it annoying having someone tell you how wrong you are all the time? :)

I am the ultimate antagonist so I have to learn when to say when...
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 01:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    Religion is faith/belief...just what a person choses to believe regardless of facts and knowledge. If Christians were interested in facts, they would reject ignorance and learn about sciences of all kinds.
    Religion is a lifestyle, not just faith/belief. And if critics such as yourself were interested in facts you would have little to no justification for your constant criticism.
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 01:32 PM
    deist, bypassing all the talk of creation, biblical inerrancy, hell and all that and back to the original question, no Christians aren't averse to information that might contradict their beliefs.

I have to laugh a little every time I read one of these questions because those that think we're brainwashed idiots come crawling out of the woodwork. You would think that after having said that a thousand times they might stop and think about just who it is that's really brainwashed instead of offering the same convulsive response with no basis in reality.

Everyone faces things that are difficult to reconcile with their beliefs, and anyone, Christian or otherwise that professes differently is a liar. I'd bet that most of those that think Christians are non-thinking robots have no clue as to what we're really like. In fact, the only real difference as we see it is we're forgiven by God - we are no more or less perfect than anyone else. We make decisions for ourselves, encourage research and appreciate sound science. The fact the we stand on certain beliefs and values and encourage others to see things our way doesn't set us apart either, everyone else does that, too.

Steve
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 01:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cerulean
    Of course they are adverse to research. They have been brainwashed and told for centuries not to empower themselves and instead believe what they are told. They are like soldiers just believing what they are told and contradicting themselves all the time because they are more involved with the shiny badges that represent their religions, and they have forgotten that to be spiritual means to also do spiritual things, create spiritual events and address spiritual concerns that will empower and educate the world.

That never happens, what usually happens is that a religion goes into a village and forces their religion upon another at the expense of the villages cultural ideas and customs. If it hurts noone, it can't be that bad. If its creating great havoc in the world, its something that needs to END.

These types are as common as the penny Im afraid. For all the good they think they do, they are nearly always hypocritical. I don't have the time to write a thesis on the subject, but its a very old one for me.
    Gee, nobody told me what to say to this. I'm smart enough to know how absurd your response is all by myself.
    deist Posts: 225, Reputation: 7

Sep 28, 2007, 01:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    deist, bypassing all the talk of creation, biblical inerrancy, hell and all that and back to the original question, no Christians aren't averse to information that might contradict their beliefs.

I have to laugh a little every time I read one of these questions because those that think we're brainwashed idiots come crawling out of the woodwork. You would think that after having said that a thousand times they might stop and think about just who it is that's really brainwashed instead of offering the same convulsive response with no basis in reality.

Everyone faces things that are difficult to reconcile with their beliefs, and anyone, Christian or otherwise that professes differently is a liar. I'd bet that most of those that think Christians are non-thinking robots have no clue as to what we're really like. In fact, the only real difference as we see it is we're forgiven by God - we are no more or less perfect than anyone else. We make decisions for ourselves, encourage research and appreciate sound science. The fact the we stand on certain beliefs and values and encourage others to see things our way doesn't set us apart either, everyone else does that, too.

Steve
    I have been many things in my search for meaning; buddhist, taoist, wiccan, agnostic, & atheist. Before that I was a bible believing christian for more than 27 years. I believed in the bible with all my heart & lived for Jesus. But in all that 27 years I never had one prayer answered, out of literally thousands of prayers, hundreds of which,statistically speaking, had to be within the will of God as revealed in the bible. And we know what John said about those who ask according to the will of God; they'd get what they asked for. Yet none of my prayers were answered. Then I happened upon deism, & having studied it, I saw that reality as it really is, & not what I wanted it to be, lined up more with the teachings of deism than the teachings of the bible. So now I am a deist, & a deist to stay. Deism answers all the questions for me that the bible couldn't. I believe my search for meaning is finally over.
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by deist
    I have been many things in my search for meaning; buddhist, taoist, ,wiccan, agnostic, & atheist. Before that I was a bible believing christian for more than 27 years. I believed in the bible with all my heart & lived for Jesus. But in all that 27 years I never had one prayer answered, out of literally thousands of prayers, hundreds of which,statistically speaking, had to be within the will of God as revealed in the bible. And we know what John said about those who ask according to the will of God; they'd get what they asked for. Yet none of my prayers were answered. Then I happened upon deism, & having studied it, I saw that reality as it really is, & not what I wanted it to be, lined up more with the teachings of deism than the teachings of the bible. So now I am a deist, & a deist to stay. Deism answers all the questions for me that the bible couldn't. I believe my search for meaning is finally over.
    If that's where your journey led then who am I to question it? My journey has led me to remain a Christian, it's the only one that not only makes sense to me but experience has shown me the reality. I've seen too many answered prayers and changed lives to believe otherwise... but back to the original question, like most Christians I still don't have an aversion to research. In fact, I tend to thrive on it.

Sep 28, 2007, 02:07 PM
    If that's where your journey led then who am I to question it? My journey has led me to remain a Christian, it's the only one that not only makes sense to me but experience has shown me the reality. I've seen too many answered prayers and changed lives to believe otherwise...but back to the original question, like most Christians I still don't have an aversion to research. In fact, I tend to thrive on it.
    Then check out this deist site, God vs. the Bible.
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Then check out this deist site, God vs. the Bible.
    Thanks deist, perhaps another time. A cursory review reads much like "infidels.org". Been there, done that.

Sep 28, 2007, 02:27 PM
    Thanks deist, perhaps another time. A cursory review reads much like "infidels.org". Been there, done that.
    Not averse eh ?

Sep 28, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Not averse eh ?

Stirring up the pot and setting a trap. Why would you need to do all this if your view/belief was clearly the true view??
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 02:56 PM
    Not averse eh ?
    No, I just see no need to repeat virtually the same research. I've seen those questions asked and answered dozens of times. Show us something new.

Sep 28, 2007, 03:05 PM
    No, I just see no need to repeat virtually the same research. I've seen those questions asked and answered dozens of times. Show us something new.
    I doubt you have read anything quite like God versus the bible. It's not anti-God, it is just anti-bible.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 03:16 PM
    This certainly doesn't help the cause:

New "View" Co-Host Sherri Shepherd Doesn't Know If World Is Flat

New "View" Co-Host Sherri Shepherd Doesn't Know If World Is Flat - Media on The Huffington Post
    cerulean Posts: 110, Reputation: 5

Sep 28, 2007, 03:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man
    Who else matters but JESUS!! He is the "way the truth and the light, no man comes to the Father except through Him"
    You're preaching to the choir. I understand him more than you do.

Sep 28, 2007, 03:20 PM
    Gee, nobody told me what to say to this. I'm smart enough to know how absurd your response is all by myself.
    Yes someone must have because your response is only to insult me, which totally proves all my points that religionists spend their time not being "spiritual" as the badge they love to show, but as hypocrites with closed minds.

You expose yourself. If you really were an openminded person you would have an openminded dialogue, instead you close doors and shut your mind and insult, and according to religionist rules, you're not supposed to be doing that.

My words were merely a summation to what I have experienced for the last 30 years.
    nigel5 Posts: 64, Reputation: -2

Sep 28, 2007, 03:22 PM
    Are christians averse to researching anything that would contradict the bible no matter how true they might find it to be upon reading ? Every thinking christian owes it to themselves to research every source of possible contradiction, if for no other reason than being able to refute the contradictory material. Here are two good sites that every christian of intelligence ought to look into: God vs. the Bible & The Age of Reason.
    OKay, I am a christian but I won't speak for other christians here. We as christians are taught to refrain from looking at anything contradictory to what we believe in... I know, this sounds ignorant and in this scientific age down right laughable, but understand this... FAITH is based on undeniable belief in something on our case Jesus as the messiah and the son of God.
    THe thing is take a look around yourself, even evolution has so many loopholes and if you ask me it's the product of scientists trying to force down uncooked food down our throats. My point is if you do you're research on all angles of thought regarding the origin of our species non is proved beyond resonable doubt. In my case, I find it easier to believe in something that gives me hope rather than in a series of articles that are in the end,a compilation of endless theories that do not fulfil me in anyway. And to tell you the truth.. denying or not-denying doesn't pple on opposite side of an argument... no... at one point or the other we are al going to pass away, and I don't want someone to be reading an encyclopedia britannica at my funeral.. hahahaha
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel5
    I my case if find it easier to believe in something that give me hope rather than a series of articles that are in the end,a compilation of endless theories that do not fulfil me in anyway.
    The fact that you need "fulfilling" has nothing to do with science but a personal need on your side. Many people do not have a need to be "fulfilled".

Sep 28, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man
    Who else matters but JESUS!! He is the "way the truth and the light, no man comes to the Father except through Him"
    You misquoted your own savior. He didn't say, "I am the way, the truth, and the light". He said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life". I know the bible better than you.

Sep 28, 2007, 03:26 PM

Yes someone must have because your response is only to insult me, which totally proves all my points that religionists spend their time not being "spiritual" as the badge they love to show, but as hypocrites with closed minds causing arguments and making fun of others whilst simultaneously believing they are the ones that actually know how reality operates.

You expose yourself. If you really were an openminded person you would have an openminded dialogue, instead you close doors and shut your mind and insult, and according to religionist rules, you're not supposed to be doing that.

My words were merely a summation to what I have experienced for the last 30 years.

Might I add a post you just wrote

If that's where your journey led then who am I to question it? My journey has led me to remain a Christian, it's the only one that not only makes sense to me but experience has shown me the reality. I've seen too many answered prayers and changed lives to believe otherwise...but back to the original question, like most Christians I still don't have an aversion to research. In fact, I tend to thrive on it.

Well if you're smug as a bug in a rug why would the first "spiritual Christian" thing you do is insult me?

Prayer and answered prayers don't belong to christianity, that is the individuals natural right, no matter what you'd label it. The fact that Christians happen to pray and many prayers get answered doesn't PROVE Christianity, it proves that you can get prayers answered at times, by your own desires and beliefs. It says more about the individual, not about some external source.

Reminds me of that "kingdon of heaven is within you" concept. It happens with you, not outside of yourself.

Again also, if you "thrive on research" why would you make fun of my research? I don't get my answers because I mimic what was told me by those so not in the know, I have gotten my answers in a multitude of ways, research, intuitive responses and by hearing what the souls of others has told me.

If you have no contempt for research, you should respect mine, and be happy Im doing it, not call me or my research absurd.

Or do you mean you just care about your own slanted research? Obviously that's what you must have meant.

This only makes you look like a child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Closed Adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I was adopted through a closed adoption. How can I find my birth mother?? There has to be a way. I am 21 years old. I do not know her name, age, or birth date. I do know the hospital I was born at and the attending physician. I also know she was of Irish-Norwegian decent. I have no real...

My monroe closed up :( [ 10 Answers ]

I had it in for over a month and the ball came off last night. I couldn't put a new one in until today. Now its closed. What should I do?

Closed in spaces? [ 6 Answers ]

Is it normal for young boys or children to enjoy being in tight spaces? Like closed boxes, duffel bags, storage totes, etc. My 8 yr old son does this a lot and someone told me it is a sign of autism. Could this be true?

A closed case! [ 2 Answers ]

Once a case is closed, is it possible to appeal it even though I signed a waiver basically signing over my rights? I got charged for 6 bad checks I didn't write and how I found out was I got rear ended and the reporting officer said I had a warrant out for my arrest. So after doing the accident...

My thermostat closed up... [ 1 Answers ]

I drive a 94 mitsubishi mighty max 2-wheel drive truck.My engine is a 4-cylinder 2.4liter.It has 93,000 miles on it.My thermostat closed up the other day and my truck started to overheat I was heading home so every couple of miles I would stop and let the truck cool down but I think I still may...

View more questions Search