Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2007, 03:24 AM
    inthebox,
    You have no idea of the power and influence the Flying Spagetti Monster has over you. May his noodly appendage touch you in ways that make you happy.

NK
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Oct 11, 2007, 06:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    Michael b:

I'm curious as to the last reported martyr for Zeus?

Chinese Christian Martyr, Jiang, copied from VOM for example.

BC and AD just goes to show the influence of Christianity in the western world of which Greece is a part of.

As to movies: The Passion - to name one. There are others like, Chronicles of Narnia which is Christian based.

Here's more t think about:
    Are there charitible organizations that are Zeus based? Analogous to Christian organizations like The Salvation Army, St Jude's, faith based hospitals etc....

Everything about Zeus is in the past, and of little influence today.
    And the only reason I thought of Zeus, or unicorns is because you brought it up.

Grace and Peace
    The point of the Zeus example is that he was once a powerful god that if you would have denied his existence to his followers then they would have fought just as hard as christians do today many harder. They had just as much proof for their god as you do yours and theirs was around first. His followers would go on and on about how you just have to have faith in Zeus but every christian dismisses them without a second thought. Why? If it is simply because christianity is more popular that doesn't sound like a good reason to me.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Oct 11, 2007, 01:43 PM
    Popularity is not the reason.

Truth, purpose, meaning, acceptance, forgiveness, and love are just some of the reasons.

Grace and Peace
    nigel5 Posts: 64, Reputation: -2

Oct 13, 2007, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by michealb
    The point of the Zeus example is that he was once a powerful god that if you would have denied his existence to his followers then they would have fought just as hard as christians do today many harder. They had just as much proof for their god as you do yours and theirs was around first. His followers would go on and on about how you just have to have faith in Zeus but every christian dismisses them without a second thought. Why? If it is simply because christianity is more popular that doesn't sound like a good reason to me.

1)If they did then they would have been as big as judaism, islam or christianity. 2

2)christianity wasn't so popular during the time greeks believed in zeus or wateva.

Oct 13, 2007, 07:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    But we CAN see electricity.... in the winter, when the air is dry, I can build up a static charge and put my finger near metal and SEE the spark it creates. When there is a thunderstorm, I can look in the sky and SEE lightning. We can also see the wind - the trees move, my hair moves, my shirt, leaves skitter across the ground... it's all there. I think that's the point - anyone can see electricity or the wind, there's no prerequisite for a "pure heart" or whatever. Just working eyes. If you want to make the argument one cannot see god unless he/she is looking for him, that's fine, but you can't say electricity and wind can't be seen, when they clearly can.

WRONG! Electricity is caused by differences in charge you cannot see that. What you see is light energy caused by the reaction of those charged molecules with the atmosphere's oxygen that burns.

You cannot see the wind, what you see is the objects the wind moves whether it be dust, trees or anything else.

Oct 13, 2007, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deist
    Let's face it. Christians are just brainwashed.
    Lets face it if you had an education you're practically brain washed.

Oct 13, 2007, 07:40 AM
    Comment on inthebox's post
    Prefect
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2007, 09:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel5
    WRONG! Electricity is caused by differences in charge you cannot see that. What you see is light energy caused by the reaction of those charged molecules with the atmosphere's oxygen that burns.

You cannot see the wind, what you see is the objects the wind moves whether it be dust, trees or anything else.
    Ever heard of a microscope?

Lets face it if you had an education you're practically brain washed.
    So education is a bad thing? Oh, and you might want to further your own brain washing education... your spelling is lacking. :)

Oct 13, 2007, 10:21 AM

Well technically you can't see anything but photons. So you can't see your computer just the photons bouncing off it or that it emits. That isn't how we think of vision as working in our everyday lives though. It's still makes me think the example is meant to overwhelm the logic of a 5 year old. A reasonable adult just thinks it's not a good analogy. I wouldn't even think that someone that believes in god would think that it would be a good analogy since we understand electricity and wind very well yet god you all say we are not suppose to understand.

Oct 13, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Also
    Definitions of wind on the Web:
    air moving (sometimes with considerable force) from an area of high pressure to an area of low pressure; "trees bent under the fierce winds...

Smoke /smoʊk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[smohk] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, smoked, smok·ing.
    –noun 1. the visible vapor and gases given off by a burning or smoldering substance, esp. the gray, brown, or blackish mixture of gases and suspended carbon particles resulting from the combustion of wood, peat, coal, or other organic matter.

So smoke is a visible gas. Air is a gas. So if the air is smokey it is still air. So if the smokey air is moving that is wind and that can be seen just as much as anything else we see in our daily lives.
    deist Posts: 225, Reputation: 7

Oct 13, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Lets face it if you had an education you're practicaly brain washed.
    So you admit you are uneducated huh.

Oct 15, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by deist
    So you admit you are uneducated huh.
    I admit am brain washed... LOL

Oct 15, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by michealb
    Well technically you can't see anything but photons. So you can't see your computer just the photons bouncing off of it or that it emits. That isn't how we think of vision as working in our everyday lives though. It's still makes me think the example is meant to overwhelm the logic of a 5 year old. A reasonable adult just thinks it's not a good analogy. I wouldn't even think that someone that believes in god would think that it would be a good analogy since we understand electricity and wind very well yet god you all say we are not suppose to understand.

Yes we only see light(photons) bouncing of objects.. and yes the definition of "sight" is ability to detect reflected light. And yes its not a good analogy.. but the argument was in that line of thought and I went along with it. In any case the naked eye cannot see electricity and air
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2007, 01:08 AM
    Yes we only see light(photons) bouncing of objects..and yes the definition of "sight" is ability to detect reflected light. And yes its not a gud analogy..but the argument was in that line of thought and i went along with it. In any case the naked eye cannot see electricity and air
    We have other very effective senses, and touch can easily detect wind and electricity almost directly.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2007, 01:04 PM
    Question closed.

And a) as a sidenote and b) one of the reasons it's now closed: it was not a real question to begin with.

PS: deist, this is a public warning. Review the FAQ.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Closed Adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I was adopted through a closed adoption. How can I find my birth mother?? There has to be a way. I am 21 years old. I do not know her name, age, or birth date. I do know the hospital I was born at and the attending physician. I also know she was of Irish-Norwegian decent. I have no real...

My monroe closed up :( [ 10 Answers ]

I had it in for over a month and the ball came off last night. I couldn't put a new one in until today. Now its closed. What should I do?

Closed in spaces? [ 6 Answers ]

Is it normal for young boys or children to enjoy being in tight spaces? Like closed boxes, duffel bags, storage totes, etc. My 8 yr old son does this a lot and someone told me it is a sign of autism. Could this be true?

A closed case! [ 2 Answers ]

Once a case is closed, is it possible to appeal it even though I signed a waiver basically signing over my rights? I got charged for 6 bad checks I didn't write and how I found out was I got rear ended and the reporting officer said I had a warrant out for my arrest. So after doing the accident...

My thermostat closed up... [ 1 Answers ]

I drive a 94 mitsubishi mighty max 2-wheel drive truck.My engine is a 4-cylinder 2.4liter.It has 93,000 miles on it.My thermostat closed up the other day and my truck started to overheat I was heading home so every couple of miles I would stop and let the truck cool down but I think I still may...

View more questions Search